First Bike Advice

Old February 4th 04, 10:44 AM
Marc Jennings

Default First Bike Advice

I am about to buy a bike again after a number of years. I would plan to
use it to get a little exersise and would be cycling on roads and off
road cycle paths etc. so nothing too demanding max 10-15 miles a week.

I have looked in my local bike shop and seen a Raleigh Mountain bike
(Max Aero). This is a basic Mountain bike with ridged forks and a
Chromeoly ?? frame. Parts all look reasonable quality (Shimano gears, EZ
rapid fire shifters, Pro Max Brakes) and although it is obviously an old
model it apparently had a UK RRP of 190 pounds. It is on offer for 90
pounds in a sale.

Is this a good buy for a novice like me to start with? I've tried it for
size etc. and it feels ok. In all honesty I can't afford to spend a
great deal and all of the other bikes in this price range were makes I
had never heard of.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marc
Old February 4th 04, 02:31 PM
mark

"Marc Jennings" wrote ...
[...]

Try posting your question to uk.rec.cycling, the regulars are extremely
knowledgable and helpful when they're not ranting about speed cameras and
other car related stuff. They're also much more knowledgable about cycling
in the UK than we silly Merkin colonials.

It's been said again and again that you don't shop for a bicycle, you shop
for a bike shop. If you feel that your local bike shop are an honest,
competent, knowledgable group of people who will give good advice and do a
good job of repairing and maintaining your bike, spend your money there
instead of the department store up the street who may charge a few pounds
less for the bike but are unable or unwilling to give good advice or do good
repair work.

In US prices, GBP 190 (US$350?) would get you a decent, servicable entry
level bike, ideal for the use you describe. "Obviously an old model" is no
big deal, this year's cutting edge technology will fit that description by
next year.

Chromoly (molychrome) is molybdenum chrome steel, a step up from the
"Hi-Ten" steel tubing on truly wretched bikes. Steel is no longer
fashionable, but some of us think it makes for a stronger and more durable
frame than aluminum. If the bike doesn't feel too dreadfully heavy when you
pick it up I wouldn't worry too much.

Rigid forks are just fine, especially for the use you propose. I assume that
by "off road cycle path" you mean one that is paved or well graded
gravel/dirt, not highly technical single track. Suspension forks found on
lower priced bikes tend to be heavy and not too effective.

HTH,
--
mark

Old February 5th 04, 03:19 PM
MP

Since you apparently are not planning to take this mountain bike off
road, I'd suggest asking the bike shop about replacing the tires.
Most mountain bikes come with "knobby" tires which are designed to dig
into dirt, but for paved surfaces a smoother tread or even "slicks"
would be better. If you replace the tires at the time you buy the
bike, hopefully it should not cost you too much extra.

Other than that, this kind of bike would be fine for the kind of
riding you describe. If you build up to the point where you are
taking really long trips on the road, you may begin to wish that you
had a road bike or a light hybrid instead, but a decent name brand
mountain bike is not a bad way to start. I don't know anything about
this specific model except that, of course, Raleigh is a reputable
brand.

MP

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 10:44:48 +0000, Marc Jennings
wrote:

[...]

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 02:00 AM
need bike purchase advice... Benjamin Snyder General 8 November 21st 03 10:21 PM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
2nd-hand track bike - advice needed hippy General 43 September 16th 03 04:05 AM