presta valve in a schrader wheel!

Old May 24th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary[_2_]

Default presta valve in a schrader wheel!

The old Raleigh had a tube go bad and all I had sitting around was a
presta 622-23 tube. This tube has only a 32 mm value and it does not
work on the rims of my CF bike. Well I am cheap and thought I should
give this tube a try on the Raleigh. I built-up and little rubber around
the valve stem to keep it from going into the hole of the schrader rim.

So far it has managed to work well I have about 95psi and road it about
3 miles to see how it would react. Basically it seems to work fine and I
guess no problems since my pump works either type of valve. My question
is if this come back to haunt me at the worst time? Can this work and do
other do this in a pinch?

Strange questions from the peanut gallery.
--
Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church
Old May 24th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 5/23/2010 6:38 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:
The old Raleigh had a tube go bad and all I had sitting around was a
presta 622-23 tube. This tube has only a 32 mm value and it does not
work on the rims of my CF bike. Well I am cheap and thought I should
give this tube a try on the Raleigh. I built-up and little rubber around
the valve stem to keep it from going into the hole of the schrader rim.

So far it has managed to work well I have about 95psi and road it about
3 miles to see how it would react. Basically it seems to work fine and I
guess no problems since my pump works either type of valve. My question
is if this come back to haunt me at the worst time? Can this work and do
other do this in a pinch?

Strange questions from the peanut gallery.

I would get some proper Schrader to Presta inserts, such as these:
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/category.cgi?item=01-123873.

Available at your LBS for your loose change.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Old May 24th 10, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 23, 6:38*pm, Mark Cleary wrote:
The old Raleigh had a tube go bad and all I had sitting around was a
presta 622-23 tube. This tube has only a 32 mm value and it does not
work on the rims of my CF bike. Well I am cheap and thought I should
give this tube a try on the Raleigh. I built-up and little rubber around
the valve stem to keep it from going into the hole of the schrader rim.

So far it has managed to work well I have about 95psi and road it about
3 miles to see how it would react. Basically it seems to work fine and I
guess no problems since my pump works either type of valve. My question
is if this come back to haunt me at the worst time? Can this work and do
other do this in a pinch?

It works fine. However, if you can fit a schraeder valve tube in a
rim--use one. I saw yet another presta valve get broken last night at
the ride for reading event--they're not designed to be used with hand
pumps operated by humans.
Old May 24th 10, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Mark Cleary wrote:
The old Raleigh had a tube go bad and all I had sitting around was a
presta 622-23 tube. This tube has only a 32 mm value and it does not
work on the rims of my CF bike. Well I am cheap and thought I should
give this tube a try on the Raleigh. I built-up and little rubber around
the valve stem to keep it from going into the hole of the schrader rim.

So far it has managed to work well I have about 95psi and road it about
3 miles to see how it would react. Basically it seems to work fine and I
guess no problems since my pump works either type of valve. My question
is if this come back to haunt me at the worst time? Can this work and do
other do this in a pinch?

Strange questions from the peanut gallery.

While tires are offered in small increments (20, 22, 23, 25,
26mm etc) tubes are, as you surmised. stretchy and so
generally skinny-medium-wide. The tube need only fill the
space and hold air so what you did works.
That said, the tube is now more distended, hence thinner, so
any anomaly[1] will cause trouble sooner. Generally use
the widest tube which easily fits.
Since it's an easy wheel/tire change, I'd just get a couple
of 35mm tubes and use one when you have the next flat.
The small 700C -622 / 27-inch 630 variance is negligible,
such that several brands are marked "27x1-1/8~1-1/4, 700-28~35"

[1] for example the little drain holes in your steel rim

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 24th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tom Sherman °_°:
I would get some proper Schrader to Presta inserts, such as these:
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/category.cgi?item=01-123873.

Available at your LBS for your loose change.

I've been using one of the screw-on rings that come with every
tube - just screw it all the way on before inserting the valve
from the inside.

It's been a couple months and no failures yet.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 24th 10, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 24 May, 02:20, AMuzi wrote:
Mark Cleary wrote:
[...]

I think you mean rust holes.
Old May 26th 10, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

* Still Just Me * wrote:
On Sun, 23 May 2010 18:38:27 -0500, Mark Cleary
wrote:

The old Raleigh had a tube go bad and all I had sitting around was a
presta 622-23 tube. This tube has only a 32 mm value and it does not
work on the rims of my CF bike. Well I am cheap and thought I should
give this tube a try on the Raleigh. I built-up and little rubber around
the valve stem to keep it from going into the hole of the schrader rim.

So far it has managed to work well I have about 95psi and road it about
3 miles to see how it would react. Basically it seems to work fine and I
guess no problems since my pump works either type of valve. My question
is if this come back to haunt me at the worst time? Can this work and do
other do this in a pinch?

A simple rubber grommet of the right id/od will do it. You can get
them at the local hardware store or LBS.

I've never found them necessary.
Old May 28th 10, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

landotter wrote:

[...] if you can fit a schraeder valve tube in a
rim--use one. I saw yet another presta valve get broken last night at
the ride for reading event--they're not designed to be used with hand
pumps operated by humans.

That goes double when the humans are hipsters and they use 48mm or
60mm presta stems even in rims of normal depth (because that's just
how they roll).

I tote a Topeak Mountain Morph pump when I can, the better to inflate
either Presta or Schrader tubes without bollixing the valve stems.
Any pump with a hose accomplishes this.

Chalo