Presta vs. Schrader

Old July 3rd 13, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Presta vs. Schrader

I have always preferred presta valves because they require a smaller
hole in the rim, and because two of my spouse's wheels are narrow
enough that schrader wouldn't fit and I like all wheels to fit the
same pump.

But several years ago, an unsupervised mechanic re-drilled one of my
rims to fit a schrader. Yesterday, I decided to have the Trailhouse
repair my flat front tire, so I put the schrader wheel on the bike in
case I need to ride while the wheel is in the shop.

Since it had been months since the wheel had been used, I had to pump
the tire up first. Schrader valves really *are* harder to pump than
presta!

So now I prefer presta valves because I'm a little old lady with weak
arms.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old July 3rd 13, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

AHHH Senorita, is your toolbox graced with Presta grommets ?
Old July 3rd 13, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 11:06:41 AM UTC-4, Joy Beeson wrote:
I have always preferred presta valves because they require a smaller

hole in the rim, and because two of my spouse's wheels are narrow

enough that schrader wouldn't fit and I like all wheels to fit the

same pump.

But several years ago, an unsupervised mechanic re-drilled one of my

rims to fit a schrader. Yesterday, I decided to have the Trailhouse

repair my flat front tire, so I put the schrader wheel on the bike in

case I need to ride while the wheel is in the shop.

Since it had been months since the wheel had been used, I had to pump

the tire up first. Schrader valves really *are* harder to pump than

presta!

So now I prefer presta valves because I'm a little old lady with weak

arms.

Years ago, I remember reading that modifying a Shrader valve core can make it easier to pump. It requires the type of core that has the long spring visible on the inside, surrounding a bit of wire connected to the plug part of the valve. Those cores are about 1.25" long overall. (The other type of Schrader core is much shorter, about 5/8" and has no visible spring.)

Supposedly if you simply cut that spring off, the valve will still function, but will require less pressure to get air in. Only air pressure holds it closed. Make sure you have a good valve cap installed, one that seals well.

ISTR trying this trick many, many years ago, but I can't now remember how well it worked. Could be worth a try.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 3rd 13, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Frank Krygowski:
Years ago, I remember reading that modifying a Shrader valve core can make it easier to pump.

For me, the main dysfunction of Schrader valves comes when the tire is
dead flat: then the whole stem wants to retreat into the rim when one
tries to apply a non-threaded pump head.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old July 3rd 13, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Frank Krygowski:
Years ago, I remember reading that modifying a Shrader valve core can make it easier to pump.

For me, the main dysfunction of Schrader valves comes when the tire is
dead flat: then the whole stem wants to retreat into the rim when one
tries to apply a non-threaded pump head.

Well, yeah (you have to get ahold and pull it up into
the pump head), but Presta does the same thing unless
you use a nut (or extra long stems, which then are a
pain to change).

I like Presta 'cause it's bicycle esoterica :-)

OTOH, Stumpy has Schrader plus a metal cap with
handy stem removal tool that even works on SUV's
and such ;-)
Old July 4th 13, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Wednesday, 3 July 2013 16:06:41 UTC+1, Joy Beeson wrote:
I have always preferred presta valves because they require a smaller

hole in the rim, and because two of my spouse's wheels are narrow

enough that schrader wouldn't fit and I like all wheels to fit the

same pump.

But several years ago, an unsupervised mechanic re-drilled one of my

rims to fit a schrader. Yesterday, I decided to have the Trailhouse

repair my flat front tire, so I put the schrader wheel on the bike in

case I need to ride while the wheel is in the shop.

Since it had been months since the wheel had been used, I had to pump

the tire up first. Schrader valves really *are* harder to pump than

presta!

So now I prefer presta valves because I'm a little old lady with weak

arms.

Remove the valve core and put in a Woods valve. They have the greatest reliability and you carry 4" of fine rubber tubing for the once in a lifetime failure of the valve. Many of my Presta valves are bonded to the tube without separable core. I've had all types of Presta leak at some point and although I have a getaround, that of wrapping the stem thread with silicon tape, I'd rather had valves that keep on working, for a lifetime.

In British Isles the tubing for the Woods valves also got sold by the foot as anglers used it to secure their floats.
Old July 4th 13, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-...iw=960&bih=511
Old July 4th 13, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On

OTOH, Stumpy has Schrader plus a metal cap with

handy stem removal tool that even works on SUV's

and such ;-)

I have one of those on my utility bike. Never used it on an SUV. Yet.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 4th 13, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 07-03-2013 18:05, Dan wrote:
OTOH, Stumpy has Schrader plus a metal cap with
handy stem removal tool that even works on SUV's
and such;-)

You mean like when you find one double-parked?

--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable.
— John F. Kennedy