Topeak Joe Blow Sport Failure modes

Old July 25th 04, 06:55 AM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Topeak Joe Blow Sport Failure modes

I have a Topeak Joe Blow Sport floor pump, which I bought around two
years ago. It has functioned pretty well, and I'd grown to like it.
It has a dual head which flip-flops from Presta to Schraeder with a
pull of a lever.

Tonight, when pumping a Schraeder -valved tire, I noticed a lot of air
leaking out when I engaged the pump head. I tightened the screw on
the pump head itself. Once tight, I was able to pump air into the
tire--but I could still hear the hissing of a small air leak. The
gauge, which up to then had read steadily, kept dropping--a leak,
somewhere.

I then tightened every other screw-in thing that could be tightened as
tight as it could go--but still there seemed to be a slow leak of air
from the pump.

I re-tightened the screw on the head, and I think I may have stripped
the plastic threads in my enthusiasm to get it tight. Now the pump
won't pump any air into anything, Presta or Schraeder.

So now what do I do? I'm scared to think that I've just ruined my
floor pump....but pumps aren't supposed to leak, right? Because this
one never did until tonight.

Someone has obviously put a curse on me that concerns me and my
relationship with pneumatic devices.

-Luigi

Old July 25th 04, 11:48 AM
Joe Faust

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 01:55:51 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
wrote:

[...]

Topeak, here in the states, has one of the best, IMHO, guarantees and
customer service in the business. I've gotten a replacement head, and
other small parts after requesting service either by email or
telephone. The parts have arrived in a few days. They really stand
behind their product.

Joe
Old July 25th 04, 05:56 PM
Jeff Starr

wrote:

[...]

Hi, I would do as the other poster recommended, contacting for
warranty, but in the meantime.

There is an o-ring in the head that can go bad. Take the head
completely apart, locate the o-ring and get one at the hardware store.
My local Ace was able to supply the correct size. Take the parts with
you, so they can see if the bad one is stretched, making it appear
bigger.
When you reinstall the parts, wrap the threads with plumbers teflon
tape and don't torque the **** out of it. If it is stripped, that
might get it working temporarily.
If you are out of warranty, you can buy Topeak's SmartHead nozzle, to
replace the bad one.
Here is the Smarthead upgrade kit:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4363

You haven't ruined your pump, just temporarily disabled it.

Life is Good!
Jeff