Bottle Holder?

Old November 21st 03, 09:24 PM
daino149

Default Bottle Holder?

I was browsing unicycle.com and I came across this product: 'Zefal
Guizmo Bottle Cage Mounting Adapter'
(http://unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=381). I wouldn't use this
for my unicycle, but for my dad's recumbent. He wants to mount a water
bottle holder on his stearing post, but there aren't any mounts for
it.

I was wondering if any of you have used or heard about this product. To
me it seems that the neoprine strap might not be too strong? Are there
any better products?

The stearing post on my dad's bike is quite large (diameter). I'm not
sure of the exact size, but it's bigger then a seatpost. Will this come
into play?

Thanks,
Daniel

EDIT:
Didn't see this the first time: Fits seat posts measuring 25-28.5-mm in diameter.

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

XWonka: Stick that in your Sig and smoke it.

Old November 21st 03, 09:31 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Why not mount the water bottle cage using an automotive hose clamp?
Quite a few people that I ride with use this setup on their children's
bicycles that are not equipped with water bottle mounts.

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old November 21st 03, 11:25 PM
Danny Colyer

daino149 wrote:
I was browsing unicycle.com and I came across this product: 'Zefal
Guizmo Bottle Cage Mounting Adapter'
(http://unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=381). I wouldn't use
this
for my unicycle, but for my dad's recumbent.

I've had a water bottle mounted to my Ringmaster with a pair of these
for many years. It works well.

The stearing post on my dad's bike is quite large (diameter). I'm not
sure of the exact size, but it's bigger then a seatpost.

snip
Didn't see this the first time: Fits seat posts measuring
25-28.5-mm in diameter.

I assume your Dad's recumbent has OSS? I imagine the steering column
will be 28.5mm diameter. You could ask your Dad, or if it's not a
homebuild you could probably find the specs on the manufacturer's
website (if you don't know the url, the chances are I've got it listed
he http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ )

For advice on mounting bottle cages to a recumbent, you might be better
off asking on alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent. I can give tips on mounting
them to the boom or to the back of a solid seat:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/d...ble/helga.html

but since my Street Machine is USS, I don't have experience with a
bottle cage on a steering column. Jubilee clips ought to do the job,
with a couple of strips of inner tube to protect the paintwork. They
work well on my boom.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old November 21st 03, 11:33 PM
MUNIYETI

I use a Minoura bottle cage holder on the seatpost of my muni (it can
be rotated 90 degrees for bicycle bar mounting too).... stays put and
holds my bottle even after UPD's (and it's only $6 ; so not too
expensive) ......they have them at www.nashbar.com

--
MUNIYETI
MUNIYETI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4183

Old November 22nd 03, 12:10 AM
daino149

Thanks for the advice. My dad has a Rans Tailwind. I couldn't find the
diameter of the steering post on their webpage. Anyone know it? I
might try the hose clamp idea, I was thinking about that before.

Danel

Old November 22nd 03, 01:50 AM
Danny Colyer

daino149 wrote:
My dad has a Rans Tailwind. I couldn't find
the diameter of the steering post on their webpage. Anyone know it?

That would be RANS. You'd upset the members of the Church of RANS on
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent if you used lower case there ;-)

No, I couldn't find it either. It doesn't look all that wide, though.

Has he tried a Camelbak bladder in the back of the seat? The RANS seats
have a pocket in the back that fits a bladder rather nicely.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old November 22nd 03, 04:31 AM
daino149

Danny Colyer wrote:
*daino149 wrote:
My dad has a Rans Tailwind. I couldn't find
the diameter of the steering post on their webpage. Anyone know

it?

That would be RANS. You'd upset the members of the Church of RANS
on
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent if you used lower case there ;-)

Has he tried a Camelbak bladder in the back of the seat?
*

Oops my bad. I din't know bikers were so pickey about the names of
their bikes. I guwess I would be too if I was still on two wheels.

Anyway, yes. I have suggested the Camelbak idea to my father. He
actually uses a large water bottle with a tube on the back of the seat
for long rides. But for short rides, he wants just one smaller bottle
and doesn't want to bother with cleaning the CamelBlatter. I know, he
could freeze it after each ride, but we don't have that much freezer
space.

Thanks,
Daniel

Old November 23rd 03, 09:03 AM
Carl Roth

My son came up with this innovative way to hold his "Gatorade" bottle on his
Bedford unicycle. Check out the pics:
http://carlroth.net/nanaimoparkjuggl...aidholder1.jpg and
http://carlroth.net/nanaimoparkjuggl...aidholder2.jpg .

Carl