Face Plant protection

Old September 3rd 10, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
raamman

Default Face Plant protection

On Sep 1, 2:32*pm, Will wrote:
I just recently suffered from a major fall (face plant) that fractured
my jaw and teeth in many pieces. I understand that falling is a part
of riding, and I accept that it happens, I just don't like falling on
my chin at 20 mph.
I was riding along second in a pace line, when I turned my wheel just
as it went over a slight dip, I over steered due to that, corrected
and rode a bit with my leg clipped out and my bike wobbling a bit, as
soon as I stopped the wobble I was falling.
I don't know what caused the fall but what should I have done in that
situation? Should I have tried not to correct and just tuck and
protect my head?
What would you do?
I want to ride again, but the doc says that I cant fall on my jaw
anymore.
Are there any classes, practices, one can do that can teach me to
either not fall or fall more gracefully off my bike?
Taekwondo? Judo? Mountain biking?
Maybe I should ride with a motorcycle helmet, or ride a bent...

Really sorry to hear of your misfortune. Personally I will say that if
you must ride, ride alone- no paceline crap or drafting- no racing; no
rain rides either- while not an absolute guarantee that you won't
suffer another mishap it will remove considerable risk. But beyond
that, it sounds like your doctor gave you a serious warning for you to
avoid handicapping yourself for the rest of your life. Think about it,
for a few hours of exercise and enjoyment you may find yourself
woefully regretting having not heeded his warning. Summer is over,
wait until springtime at least, go on an indoor trainer (vomitron)-
certainly your jaw will heal, but it needs time. Get well soon.