Performance Hitch Rack w/wheel "loops"

Old August 26th 03, 06:28 PM
Paul Bielec

Default Performance Hitch Rack w/wheel "loops"

Didn't buy one yet but I'm looking for a 2 bike rack for my CR-V. Next
season probably.
The roof rack is too high and I don't want the spare mount one neither.
So far, I looked at many racks and I didn't like the ones where the bike
hangs by the top bars. On both our bikes the cables go along this bar and
the bikes seem to move a lot on this type of rack.
Then I saw the one you're mentioned and it is my first choice so far.

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking for a bike rack I can use on both my vehicles. My main
requirement is that I don't want to take wheels off to mount bikes, I
want to be able to load bikes quickly, and I want to be able to move
the rack back and forth between the cars quicly and easily.

I can't use the trunk-mount type because the coupe has a glass rear
window that can't accept the straps with metal clips. I also don't
want to get roof racks because it seems like it would be time
consuming to move the tray mounts from car to car, or expensive to get
2 sets of roof bars and 4 trays.

So I'm leaning toward hitch-mounted racks. I can get hitches for about
$100 per vehicle (any recommendations there?), and I like the
Performance® XPORT Flatbed 2 Bike Hitch Rack (http://tinyurl.com/l8xy)
- instead of tray-type mounts it's got movable wheel loops and an
adjustable top tube hold-down. Seems easy to quickly throw bikes on
and get them off.

Anyone used this before?

Thanks

Old August 27th 03, 01:15 AM
FlashSteve

I have used the Performance Hitch mount rack for about 8 years. They work just
fine, bikes are very stable, I can still open my trunk, and my gas mileage is
not affected my carrying bikes. AND, I have not crushed any bikes, like I did
twice with roof-top racks (Yes, I am a bonehead).

The only downside that I have encountered is the bikes catch a lot of crap off
the road when it is wet. Once, driving through Colorado winter, the entire
bottom half of my bike was coated with 3" of ice and snow.

Steve Scarich