The Bike Doctor (Vancouver) mini-rant

Old September 11th 04, 02:35 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:01:21 -0700,
,
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Or better yet, scavenge it from a dumpster! And add spokes you found at
a closing-out bicycle shop! And bearings recycled from some other wheel!
Using tools you were given by your brother!*

I recently donated a 20" rear wheel to OCB! that had sorta come from
their own trash bin. It was tossed out as a front wheel with a
slightly rusted chrome rim. I wanted the hub to make a matching pair
of trailer wheels. So, I took it home stripped it and laced the rear
hub I had into the cleaned-up rim, added a freewheel and gave it back.

Cost me nothing except that Johan called me a "freak".

Okay Zoot, you win this round.

But all will bow before the Super Auto-Mini once I finish it!

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.
Old September 11th 04, 07:53 PM
Brian Huntley

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message ...

Why is Princess Auto so cool? They sell everything from obsolete cell
phone batteries to 75-ton hydraulic presses. And their metric hex wrench
sets cost $3.

My ears keep hearing that as "Princess Otto", and I get this strange
image of a royal Austrian transvestite.

But they are cools stores. Wish I had one nearby (downtown Toronto.)
Old September 11th 04, 09:52 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
Ooh, very cool. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll definitely check it out.

What exactly is "within riding distance"?

About a mile. Princess Auto is a block from new Ikea. Notable hazards:
you have to ride over the Brunette overpass.

A map showing the location:

http://princessauto.com/PAcountry.cf...&INF=loc&SPC=1

Thanks. Where is the Brunette overpass? I've ridden out along Lougheed
highway past that location, and I don't seem to recall any hazardous
overpasses.

In fact, a number of our brevets have started very close to that location.
It's about a 40-45 minute ride from my house at my speed, I believe. It
should make a nice fixie ride.

Latest incarnation of fixie:
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/personal/bike/fixie9a.jpg
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/person...e/fixie10a.jpg
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/person...e/fixie11a.jpg
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/person...e/fixie12a.jpg

Changes:
- "cowhorn" handle bars made from sawed-off drops.
- cork tape started ****ing me off (ripping too easily), so I've replaced
it with nylon lashing strap to which I applied shellac. Not as soft
(rock-hard, in fact), but it sure looks nicer.
- shorter (171mm!) Maxy cranks.
- in a concession to safety, lights.

--
Benjamin Lewis

I regret to say that we of the FBI are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate
commerce. -- J. Edgar Hoover
Old September 12th 04, 07:49 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
Ooh, very cool. Thanks for the heads-up; I'll definitely check it out.

What exactly is "within riding distance"?

About a mile. Princess Auto is a block from new Ikea. Notable hazards:
you have to ride over the Brunette overpass.

A map showing the location:

http://princessauto.com/PAcountry.cf...&INF=loc&SPC=1

Thanks. Where is the Brunette overpass? I've ridden out along Lougheed
highway past that location, and I don't seem to recall any hazardous
overpasses.

That's the overpass that connects New Westminster and Coquitlam over the
freeway. The prime hazard is the sheer volume of cars, moving at speed,
and merging on and off. Not impassable by any means: I occasionally ride
it on my commute, as part of an alternate route. It's the obvious route
between Skytrain and Coquitlam (though I think there is an alternate
back route).

By bike, the directions to Princess Auto are easy: head east on
Lougheed. take the first right after you pass Ikea, go just over a block
further, and take the first right after you go under the freeway and
over the railroad tracks. You're now at Princess Auto.

In fact, a number of our brevets have started very close to that location.
It's about a 40-45 minute ride from my house at my speed, I believe. It
should make a nice fixie ride.

Latest incarnation of fixie:
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~bclewis/personal/bike/fixie9a.jpg

Changes:
- "cowhorn" handle bars made from sawed-off drops.
- cork tape started ****ing me off (ripping too easily), so I've replaced
it with nylon lashing strap to which I applied shellac. Not as soft
(rock-hard, in fact), but it sure looks nicer.
- shorter (171mm!) Maxy cranks.
- in a concession to safety, lights.

The bike looks good. In the course of preparing a bike for sale, the
prospective owner mentioned to me that she would have to wear gloves, as
she was allergic to rubber (such as "cork" tape seems to consist of
these days). I found the perfect solution in MEC's bins: cloth bar tape.
Not much softer than shellac'd nylon, but a bit better. And it looks
nice (it helped that the black cotton tape matched the black bike).

What are you using for a rear hub? It looks like a standard freewheel
hub with a bottom bracket lockring on the threads. Correct?

Old September 12th 04, 08:29 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

The bike looks good. In the course of preparing a bike for sale, the
prospective owner mentioned to me that she would have to wear gloves, as
she was allergic to rubber (such as "cork" tape seems to consist of
these days). I found the perfect solution in MEC's bins: cloth bar tape.
Not much softer than shellac'd

I wondered how that was spelled, and then eventually contorted my sentence
to avoid it altogether.

nylon, but a bit better.

Define "better" :P My theory is that I'll be able to keep the shellac-ed
surface nice looking more easily and for longer.

What are you using for a rear hub? It looks like a standard freewheel
hub with a bottom bracket lockring on the threads. Correct?

Yes, exactly. It's just some cheapo thing I found at OCB.