US Postal not seeing value to sponsorship... why?

Old April 25th 04, 01:29 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Default US Postal not seeing value to sponsorship... why?

I may have a bit of the puzzle figured out. On the surface, we're all
thinkin' geez, look at all the magazine covers, TV shows etc with US Postal
(ok, more specifically Lance representing US Postal). $8 million/year seems
like a bargain! But then think about the type of guy who makes the
decisions on high-end sponsorship/marketing. They're used to spending
$1500+ for great seats at a tennis tournament or basketball game. They
associate high-end sports with extreme exclusivity (with very high prices)
for the elite spectator. But for cycling? The best seats in the house
might be miles from nowhere, 3/4 of the way up a mountain pass that you have
to camp out or ride or walk for hours to get to.

Cycling is, in a way, a sport for the common man. Certainly nothing that a
CEO would brag about having ringside seats to watch.

I'm actually amazed we get the support (at the Division I level) that we do!

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

Old April 25th 04, 02:22 AM
Carl Sundquist

"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote in message
Who cares?

Maybe they'll spend the money on improving service (but I doubt it).

Would you be satisfied with a 0.00001% improvement?

Old April 25th 04, 03:04 AM
hold my beer and watch this...

Who cares?

Maybe they'll spend the money on improving service (but I doubt it).

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message . com...

Old April 25th 04, 04:05 AM
Tom Kunich

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote in message
Who cares?

Maybe they'll spend the money on improving service (but I doubt it).

Would you be satisfied with a 0.00001% improvement?

I always get a delight out of comments like Trdina's. As if he had the
vaguest clue what he was talking about. US Postals system delivers more
reliably than any other postal service in the world and I think for about
half the price. For the last couple of years they've been making money
instead of losing it.

Now if Trdina could be half the winner than US Postal is he wouldn't have to
since to fighting in a ring with some other muttonhead.

Old April 25th 04, 05:02 AM
Richard Adams

I think the biggest problem with the sponsorship was that nagging
governemnt watchdog group (no, I won't mention their name here because I
don't agree with them at all on this issue and would rather not promote
them), which would be better serving the public by self immolation on
the mall in front of the whitehouse to protest Bush's "don't tax, but
spend like there's no tomorrow" policies.

After serveral well publicized, thanks to television news which has all
the substance of a bag of cheese puffs (and does to the mind what the
cheese puffs do to the gut), regarding disgruntled 2nd amendment
worshipers who legally toted their firearms around until they stepped
into the office and began reducing headcount, USPS needed some positive
image enhancement, which I think they got in spades and for a bargain
price. Consider the alternative, form task forces, perform expensive
studies, discuss every little detail, shuffle a bunch of people around,
and wait for the next shooting.

Too bad some of these watchdog groups can't see the forest for ****ing
too long on only one tree.

Old April 25th 04, 05:18 AM
Michael

I think Trek should buy the team.

Mike

Old April 25th 04, 08:37 AM
Benjamin Weiner

[...]

Mike, you may have a point, but cycling teams have something that
corresponds to the executive-box-seats perk. Sponsors and VIPs
get access: rides in the team car during races, meet-the-team at
various events (training camps?), seats at team presentations,
celebratory dinners with Robin Williams as MC (whether that's a
plus or minus is up to one's taste). The issue with USPS is
probably partly caused by the sponsorship audit and partly
because USPS is really a Europe-based team.

Old April 25th 04, 10:16 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On 24 Apr 2004 23:37:20 -0800, Benjamin Weiner wrote:
The issue with USPS is
probably partly caused by the sponsorship audit and partly
because USPS is really a Europe-based team.

About Europe; I don't think so. 90% of Americans know Lance Armstrong,
that's enough exposure. I think it's a question of added value of
another year or years of sponsorship after (already) 5 years of striking
gold.
Old April 25th 04, 03:38 PM
Richard Adams

Michael wrote:

I think Trek should buy the team.

Mike

I doubt Trek has the money to sponsor it to the degree USPS did. They'd
probably have to pull support from a lot of other vectors, killing other
domestic teams, to accomplish it.

Now maybe Trek/Giro/Subaru/Berry Floor/Dial Soap and a few others could
be pulled together it might happen, though they'd have a kit that looks
like some of those italian ones, completely covered with logos to the
point you can't even read some of them.

I think one main sponsor works best and the bizarre thing is you'd think
there was enough money in US businesses to put up. I noticed mighty
Microsoft has some div II or III team somewhere. With their monopoly
fattened wallets and anti-trust problems, maybe tossing a few bucks
behind a Div I team would be the thing ... then again, if the team
dominated the tour like USPS has, their critics would probably hate them
even more.

Old April 25th 04, 05:37 PM
otto

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message hlink.net...

I always get a delight out of comments like Trdina's. As if he had the
vaguest clue what he was talking about. US Postals system delivers more
reliably than any other postal service in the world and I think for about
half the price.

What other countries have you lived in? While it's not bad
(considering the size of the US) US Postal if far from the best. That
would be the UK's royal mail, or at least it was 8 years ago. Two
deliveries a day, next day service nationaly, and once i put a
postcard in the mail (in Edinburgh) on a friday, and it arrived in San
Francisco on the Monday. Now that's service.