1960's Frejus - what tubing?

Old April 2nd 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff[_12_]

Default 1960's Frejus - what tubing?

Recently acquired a 1960's vintage Frejus Tour de France frameset, and was
wondering what flavor tubing it was built with. There appear to be some
ridges (splines?) visible in the seat tube, but my (limited) research
reveals that SLX didn't appear until the 1980's. Another clue, if I'm
reading my calipers correctly, is that the seat tube I.D. is around 25.6mm,
and the O.D. is the standard 28.6mm. Of course, it may not be Columbus at
all; maybe Falck or Oria? Anyone have an idea on this?

-JJ

Old April 2nd 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jeff wrote:
Recently acquired a 1960's vintage Frejus Tour de France frameset, and was
wondering what flavor tubing it was built with. There appear to be some
ridges (splines?) visible in the seat tube, but my (limited) research
reveals that SLX didn't appear until the 1980's. Another clue, if I'm
reading my calipers correctly, is that the seat tube I.D. is around 25.6mm,
and the O.D. is the standard 28.6mm. Of course, it may not be Columbus at
all; maybe Falck or Oria? Anyone have an idea on this?

IIRC there weren't any 25.6 ID tubes until the 1980s, more
probably 25.4 for mild steel tube. And likely seamed at
that. Bare frame weight? Plain steel runs 3kg+

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 2nd 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 21:33:37 -0600, Jeff wrote:

Recently acquired a 1960's vintage Frejus Tour de France frameset, and was
wondering what flavor tubing it was built with. There appear to be some
ridges (splines?) visible in the seat tube, but my (limited) research
reveals that SLX didn't appear until the 1980's. Another clue, if I'm
reading my calipers correctly, is that the seat tube I.D. is around 25.6mm,
and the O.D. is the standard 28.6mm. Of course, it may not be Columbus at
all; maybe Falck or Oria? Anyone have an idea on this?

Pull the forks, look on the steerer tube. If it's 531 that'll be stamped.
If the steerer is 531 then it's a good bet the rest is as well.

Might also compare your to the list he

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Ita...al_numbers.htm

On which stages of the TdF would 1960's be little disadvantage? [email protected] Techniques 16 July 23rd 08 03:36 AM
FA: 1972 Frejus mondrian Marketplace 0 April 30th 07 11:07 PM
Steerer Tubing John Techniques 11 February 1st 06 06:53 AM
Reynolds 500 tubing - What is it? emma UK 17 May 13th 05 01:04 AM
FS:1964 Frejus road frame,parts NHell39123 Marketplace 1 August 16th 03 12:24 AM