Atlanta bike fatality

Old September 6th 04, 06:57 PM
Phil M.

Tom Henderson wrote:

Ha! How 'bout that! Not a great photo, but it worked! Turns out I
don't end up in many photos, since I'm usually the one behind the
camera.

Nice job! Any photos of you doing a tri? I've got some of me running, but I
could never tweek them enough to get them to be of much use. Really hard to
make out the image.

Phil M.

Old September 6th 04, 11:37 PM
Steve B.

What are you guys actually talking about? It sounds as if you can each see a
graphic in each other's posts where I see none. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,
Steve = : ^ )

Old September 7th 04, 12:17 AM
Phil M.

"Steve B." wrote:

What are you guys actually talking about? It sounds as if you can each
see a graphic in each other's posts where I see none. What am I
missing?

We are both using X-news as our newsreader. It appears you are using MS
Entourage. With X-news and several other newsreaders (not sure which ones)
you are able to put your image within the header to make it readable to
other posters. Basically, it allows you to add a line to the headers that
starts with "X-Face" and ends with programing code that creates the image.
I'm not sure if that is possible with Entourage or not.

Phil M.

--
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
them all yourself." *Martin Vanbee

Old September 7th 04, 03:10 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:17:18 +0000, Phil M. wrote:

We are both using X-news as our newsreader. It appears you are using MS
Entourage. With X-news and several other newsreaders (not sure which ones)
you are able to put your image within the header to make it readable to
other posters. Basically, it allows you to add a line to the headers that
starts with "X-Face" and ends with programing code that creates the image.
I'm not sure if that is possible with Entourage or not.

Not very many newsreaders or mail clients support this any longer. IMNSHO
it's no great loss. The picture format is, I believe, limited to XBM,
which was only ever supported by Xwindows, and was also black&white. But
nowadays, even most Xwindows mail/news clients don't bother with it.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. --
_`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 9th 04, 07:51 AM
Steve B.

Belatedly, (I've been on holidays) thanks to those who replied.

Steve = : ^ )

Little Meow said:

Steve B. wrote:

What are you guys actually talking about? It sounds as if you can each
see a graphic in each other's posts where I see none. What am I
missing?

The X-Face header is an encoded 48x48 1-bit image.
Various small apps (I used WinFace) are available
to encode an image into an ascii string.
Here is what they can look like:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ace/X-Faces/

X-Face is supported by:
XNews
40tude Dialog
Gnus (with suitable xemacs or compface)
slrn (with suitable macros/scripts)
mutt (with patch)
Forte Agent (1.92 with addon, don't know about 2.0)

Look at my message headers or message source to see
the X-Face string. You can copy and paste the string
into something like WinFace to see the image.

Old September 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Jym Dyer

... the officer did say that the cyclist was not visible to
the overtaking driver. I do hope that statement was supported
by some investigation on their part.

=v= Hope all you want, but don't jump to conclusions. I've
noticed a tendency on the part of many police in these cases to
blame the victim and *not* do adequate investigation. A lecture
about proper bike lighting is not the most sensitive response
given the (lack of) information provided.

=v= If a motorist can't see what's directly in front of the car,
MOST ESPECIALLY WHILE APPROACHING AN INTERSECTION, that motorist
should not be driving it there.
_Jym_