Atlanta bike fatality

Old August 28th 04, 07:05 AM
IMKen

Sure hate reading these things but they happen. May he RIP. God bless his
family in the tough time dealing with this.

Ken

"Rivermist" wrote in message
Anyone know anything about the bike/car accident that resulted in the

death
of a cyclist?

It was at the corner of Peachtree Ind and McGinnis Ferry at 5 or 6 am

(still
dark out). The guy who died was a triathlete I think.

Old August 28th 04, 02:15 PM
Jeff Williams

Badger_South wrote:

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:32:32 GMT, "AustinMN" wrote:

AustinMN wrote without proofreading:

If the reflectors don't actually shine on the reflectors, it doesn't
matter how many there are, they won't be seen.

Lets try this instead:

If the *headlights* don't actually shine on the reflectors, it doesn't
matter how many there are, they won't be seen.

Austin

I realize that, having read about it, but can you imagine in your wildest
dreams driving down the road and not 'seeing' two bikers and running over
one of them? I can't.

-B

Yes. Several years ago, I almost hit a cyclist late at night. There
were no street lights. The cyclist was wearing dark clothing and his
bicycle lacked lights and reflectors. Fortunately for him, I was alert
and managed to avoid turning him into a hood ornament.

Drivers do need to be attentive. Cyclists do need to make themselves
visible.

Jeff
Old August 28th 04, 03:44 PM
Badger_South

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:15:02 -0500, Jeff Williams
wrote:

Badger_South wrote:

[...]

Jeff, I don't disagree with your conclusion. However you proved my point.
You didn't run over him b/c you were normally attentive. I ask again, can
you imagine running over two guys biking together in the adjacent left turn
lane if you had your headlights on. No, you couldn't, although it's normal
to worry about it - that's what keeps us vigilant. In addition, that area
is where your headlights are trained and where we all look while driving,
the majority of the time (slightly to the left and straight ahead).

(Note I'm not including any driver ever hitting any bikers, just this kind
of accident. It's well-known that left hooking, right hooking and turning
into a biker, even during the daylight are things that even fairly
attentive drivers do.)

I'm not saying it's impossible, but that possiblity includes the driver
-not- being attentive, and in my best guess, having forgotten to turn his
lights on.

Yes it is the responsibility of the biker to have reflectors and lights,
though not all bikers get the 'lighting paradox', these guys seemed like
experienced bikers - I'm guessing they did have reflectors - it would be
important to know if they had lights fore and aft, which is why I mentioned
the need for a forensic investigation and not just a 'get out of jail free
card' from the Officer. This is what is upsetting to me, if you'll forgive
the diatribe.

-B

Old August 28th 04, 06:42 PM
Patrick Lamb

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:55:16 -0400, Badger_South
wrote:
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:19:13 -0700, "Raoul Duke"
wrote:

"Badger_South" wrote in message
. ..

I realize that, having read about it, but can you imagine in your wildest
dreams driving down the road and not 'seeing' two bikers and running over
one of them? I can't.

With all due respect, yes. If it were dark, the cyclists had no lights or
reflectors and they were wearing dark clothing. Believe it or not, I see
this all too frequently.

Dave

Yet for some reason, you don't run them over. ;-)

The ones I've missed have largely been pure, dumb luck. On the
cyclists' part.

Don't most helmets, at least, have reflective stripes on them?

Helmets? With black shoes and black sweats, top and bottom? Why
bother with helmets?

I don't ride lit up like a Christmas tree, as some do, but that also
makes sense. 3" reflector PLUS blinky butt PLUS helmet with
reflective strips PLUS reflective strips on my jacket, and a light in
the front, seem to make me visible. Hmm, maybe I should add another
blinkie in back...

Again, the news article doesn't give enough information th assign
blame. It's sad, but none of us can say it's the cyclist's or
driver's fault.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old August 28th 04, 06:49 PM
Rich Clark

"Patrick Lamb" wrote in message

Again, the news article doesn't give enough information th assign
blame. It's sad, but none of us can say it's the cyclist's or
driver's fault.

No, but the police spokesman's apparent lack of familiarity with traffic law
is very disturbing. I hope someone in the local cycling commuity is making
sure the investigation isn't biased by this assumption of cyclist error.
Yes, the question of lights and reflectors needs to be answered, but no, the
cyclist wasn't in the wrong place on the road (based on the article), and if
indeed he was to the right of the line dividing the thru lane from the right
turn lane, then what was the Honda doing drifting into the right turn lane
if he wasn't turning?

RichC

Old August 28th 04, 06:49 PM

Again, the news article doesn't give enough information th assign
blame. It's sad, but none of us can say it's the cyclist's or
driver's fault.

But in any case, the policeman was wrong in his statement and should be made
aware.

(remove clothes to reply)
Old August 28th 04, 08:24 PM
Phil M.

"Rivermist" wrote:

Anyone know anything about the bike/car accident that resulted in the
death of a cyclist?

It was at the corner of Peachtree Ind and McGinnis Ferry at 5 or 6 am
(still dark out). The guy who died was a triathlete I think.

I'm familiar with this area since my running route sometimes takes me right
by this point on Peacthree Ind Blvd. I agree that the article leaves out a
lot of pertinent information that would be helpful in figuring out what
really happened. Georgia state law says that cyclists are supposed to ride
"as far as practically possible to the right hand side of the road." So
that is open to intepretation. Nonetheless, cyclists should not have to
ride on the shoulder or in the gutter as stated by the police officer.

Phil M.

--
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make
them all yourself." *Martin Vanbee
Old August 28th 04, 11:23 PM
Frank Krygowski

Phil M. wrote:

Georgia state law says that cyclists are supposed to ride
"as far as practically possible to the right hand side of the road." So
that is open to intepretation. Nonetheless, cyclists should not have to
ride on the shoulder or in the gutter as stated by the police officer.

Does Georgia law permit riding two abreast?

Most states use phrasing similar to what you gave (although more use the
word "practicable" in place of "practically possible"), but most states
also say "Cyclists may not ride more than two abreast."

Seems to me this gives tacit permission to riding two abreast, which
forms an interesting conflict with the "far right" provision you quoted.

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]