Fitment question

Old September 7th 04, 05:50 PM
Paul Cassel

Default Fitment question

When I ride more than about 15 miles on my mountain style bike, I end up
with a pain or soreness in my right adductors near the groin.

I think this a fitment issue because when I use a borrowed road bike, I
can ride much further in time or distance without any pain issues other
than numb hands which I also get on the mtn bike.

I've tried fitting the mountain bike as close as I can to the road bike,
but no joy. Is there an area of fitment that the experts here can point
me to which would cause the adductor soreness?

On another note, I do have carpal which I've treated with splints to the
best outcome w/o surgery. I can't afford the surgery (no insurance) so
I'm stuck with this. I'm guessing the numb hands are related to my
carpal syndrome. Has anybody any ideas (other than switching positions
regularly) to relieve this numbness?

TIA.

-Paul
Old September 7th 04, 07:00 PM
Dan Daniel

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:50:23 -0600, Paul Cassel wrote:

On another note, I do have carpal which I've treated with splints to the
best outcome w/o surgery. I can't afford the surgery (no insurance) so
I'm stuck with this. I'm guessing the numb hands are related to my
carpal syndrome. Has anybody any ideas (other than switching positions
regularly) to relieve this numbness?

TIA.

-Paul

Be sure that the saddle is not tilted forward at all. If it is tilted,
you will be constantly supporting weight on the hands. Another way to
reduce the hand pressure is to raise the bars, but if the saddle is
tilting forward you will still have the problem.

Old September 7th 04, 10:10 PM
Paul Cassel

Dan Daniel wrote:
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:50:23 -0600, Paul Cassel wrote:

On another note, I do have carpal which I've treated with splints to the
best outcome w/o surgery. I can't afford the surgery (no insurance) so
I'm stuck with this. I'm guessing the numb hands are related to my
carpal syndrome. Has anybody any ideas (other than switching positions
regularly) to relieve this numbness?

TIA.

-Paul

Be sure that the saddle is not tilted forward at all. If it is tilted,
you will be constantly supporting weight on the hands. Another way to
reduce the hand pressure is to raise the bars, but if the saddle is
tilting forward you will still have the problem.

I'm unsure. I'll check. You think pressure on hands causes the numbness?
I figured it was the angle of my hand to wrist causing a nerve pinch.

-paul

Old September 8th 04, 01:19 PM
Pat

Be sure that the saddle is not tilted forward at all. If it is tilted,
you will be constantly supporting weight on the hands. Another way to
reduce the hand pressure is to raise the bars, but if the saddle is
tilting forward you will still have the problem.

I'm unsure. I'll check. You think pressure on hands causes the numbness?
I figured it was the angle of my hand to wrist causing a nerve pinch.

-paul

Sure, pressure on the nerve where it sits at the bottom of the palm can
cause numbness. That is why cycling gloves have the pads located where they
are located--the pads keep a channel open for the nerve when the hands grip
the bars.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html#fingers

Pat in TX

Old September 8th 04, 04:00 PM
Dan Daniel

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 15:10:50 -0600, Paul Cassel wrote:

Dan Daniel wrote:
On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:50:23 -0600, Paul Cassel wrote:

On another note, I do have carpal which I've treated with splints to the
best outcome w/o surgery. I can't afford the surgery (no insurance) so
I'm stuck with this. I'm guessing the numb hands are related to my
carpal syndrome. Has anybody any ideas (other than switching positions
regularly) to relieve this numbness?

TIA.

-Paul

Be sure that the saddle is not tilted forward at all. If it is tilted,
you will be constantly supporting weight on the hands. Another way to
reduce the hand pressure is to raise the bars, but if the saddle is
tilting forward you will still have the problem.

I'm unsure. I'll check. You think pressure on hands causes the numbness?

Oh, I know it can. I've had numbness that went away after tilting the
saddle back a bit. It's not the only cause but it's a good starting
point.

I figured it was the angle of my hand to wrist causing a nerve pinch.

-paul

That can be a problem, especially if you have some carpal tunnel
problems already. Have you tried rotating the brake levers to
different positions? In general, I think that people's tendency is to
have the brake levers point too far forward. I like them pointing
down, maybe 30 degrees off perpindicular to the ground? Take the
proper wrench and ride around a bit and play with the angle.

Old September 8th 04, 05:44 PM
Paul Cassel

Dan Daniel wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'll try gloves and on my bike rotating the brake levers. The
road bike has drops so the issue isn't there, but the numbness is.

-paul

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz Joe Donaldson General 4 March 14th 04 02:08 AM
Newbie USCF question Kurgan Gringioni Racing 39 September 15th 03 06:25 AM
Question for group Thomas Mairs Racing 18 July 25th 03 06:36 AM
Sorry, another stem question Techniques 1 July 10th 03 01:18 AM