Bikes in Parades?

Old October 8th 04, 12:31 AM
Jeff Potter

Default Bikes in Parades?

I would enter parades for a bike club if our local club would do it.
I'll organize it myself when both kids are in school. Every other club
is represented in our local parades but bikes. Bikes are a parade
natural. Slow and smoove is fine on a bike. (It's nice how the bike
world opens up when one quits racing.) I might even buy a GT Dyno
Roadster for parade use. I'd just loan out all my KINDS of bikes to
recruits so the public gets to see all kinds of cool bike. Bikes are
SO diverse. That's what would really make the parade entry. Diverse
bikes. Not just everyday ones, not that we'd turn em away. OK, turn em
away: parades are for special stuff. And bikes are good for everyone,
bad for no one. They would make a GREAT parade entry. The bike world
is remiss for not having a Club Entry in every parade. It would do the
cause a great BOOST. You couldn't get better PR. 4H does it. Scouts do
it. Everyone else is smart but bikers.

OK, I'm sure that SOME parades have bike clubs in them, but none that
I've seen, and we go to many each summer around here. (And there are
probably wacky urban bike parades, a la Critical Mass or Burning
Whatever...I'm talking about heartland parades.)

We had a casual parade once when our bike garage was at its peak---15
folks out on the ride, I think---and we left my race bike behind! It
was a blast! If you own a buncha bikes, have a parade. It's AWESOME to
see em all on the road at the same time!

--JP
Old October 8th 04, 12:55 AM
Claire Petersky

"Jeff Potter" wrote in message
om...
I would enter parades for a bike club if our local club would do it.
I'll organize it myself when both kids are in school. Every other club
is represented in our local parades but bikes.

In Redmond WA, the Derby Days parade features bicycles. My kids and I
dressed up for the Wands, Wizards, and Wookies section (fantasy and science
fiction) and participated.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old October 8th 04, 03:55 AM
RWM

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Jeff Potter" wrote in message
om...
I would enter parades for a bike club if our local club would do it.
I'll organize it myself when both kids are in school. Every other club
is represented in our local parades but bikes.

In Redmond WA, the Derby Days parade features bicycles. My kids and I
dressed up for the Wands, Wizards, and Wookies section (fantasy and
science
fiction) and participated.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

It must be a Seattle area tradition. The Yarrow/Hunts Point July 4th Parade
always starts with bikes.

Old October 11th 04, 12:21 AM
Jym Dyer

=v= A youth group in San Francisco wanted a non-polluting
float in a parade, so we built them one that could be towed
by three bikes, and we towed it. (Actually, I was able to tow
it all by myself, though my brakes were a bit stressed by it.)
We also had a bunch of bikes spinning around the scene.

=v= Lotsa photos he

http://www.things.org/~jym/bicycles/carnaval2000.html

_Jym_

Trek & Gary Fisher bikes = USA made [email protected] General 10 March 16th 04 10:55 PM
Selling Spare Bikes Tom Kunich Marketplace 0 January 10th 04 12:16 AM
so many bike types - which is which? tsp General 11 October 15th 03 10:02 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Cheap Bikes vs expensive bikes - what are the real differences? The Real Slim Shady UK 8 August 13th 03 08:30 PM