Seat Tube Height - Flipping Problem!

Old October 4th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

Default Seat Tube Height - Flipping Problem!

Hi!

Today took my KH 2008 from all the paint jobs and that stuff... During
the last two weeks I trained with my dad uni, a Koxx Green Spirit with
Odissey pedals...

Yesterday I trained a lot and my flips were really clean, like Shaun
style, kicking fast and to the side... But today my flips are really
ugly and slow in the KH...

The green spirit have a shorter seat tube, and I elevated some
centimeters the seatpost... On the KH i'm using on the limit down.

I'm about 169cm and I don't know if the KH may is too high for me!

Anyone have similar problems? And if it's to high, any tips to cut the
frame a bit?

Thanks,

Pedro!

--
pedrotejada

*BUT*

Brazilian Unicycling Team

Add me on 'FaceBook'
(http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1284254657)
Add me on 'MySpace'
(http://www.myspace.com/pedrotejada)
Old October 4th 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

Cranks?

You did not mentions what cranks are on each. 135s? 137s? 125s? Moments
or what? That is prolly the "key" factor in the different results you
are getting.

--
agentQ

'*)--SmallSpin-'O,*'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFMXG116BE)
'*)---TreFlip-'O,'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpT0YFDgmz4)
'*)--DoubbleFlip-'O,*'
(http://www.vimeo.com/683454)
---
'Uneed Films' (http://www.uneedfilms.com)
Old October 4th 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

agentQ;1107394 wrote:
Cranks?

You did not mentions what cranks are on each. 135s? 137s? 125s? Moments
or what? That is prolly the "key" factor in the different results you
are getting.

The Green Spirit is 135 and the Moments are 125... I suposed that with
125's would be easier... I'll try to put the Koxx wheelset on the kh
frame...

Old October 5th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

There is your variable. Switching crank length will give you a different
feel. When I went from K1 streets, to Q125s I had a hard time flipping.
It felt strange and like I had to push much more. Its because, with
shorter cranks you have to apply more force to get them spinning tho you
dont have to kick as far. So a short hard kick will get them spinning
fast.
With 135s or so, the amount of force you need to move the wheel is
less(more torque) but you need to kick farther, this is why you have
that outward big looking kick. However they will not spin as fast as
short cranks.

Longer cranks = less force, longer stroke
Shorter cranks = more force, shorter kick

At first when you switch crank length, whether its up or down you are
gonna have to get used to it. So even tho you may think the shorter
cranks flip slower for you, that should change. You just have to kick
down more and not outward as much.

P.S K1 street 135s are super flippy.

Old October 5th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

agentQ;1107404 wrote:
[...]

Thanks man!

I was really woried! The difference tire to top of the seat post is
2cm, so probably the problem is the crank...

I will try to get used with it... About the 135's, I heard someone
saying that the KH bearing is worse for flips... Someone knows about
that?

Well, Now I will ride hard to get used with it

At least I'm the problems and the Uni is Ok!

Old October 5th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

have you concidered growing taller?

--
thejdw

-I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!-
Old October 5th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
agentQ

pedrotejada;1107407 wrote:
Thanks man!

I was really woried! The difference tire to top of the seat post is
2cm, so probably the problem is the crank...

I will try to get used with it... About the 135's, I heard someone
saying that the KH bearing is worse for flips... Someone knows about
that?

Well, Now I will ride hard to get used with it

At least I'm the problems and the Uni is Ok!

Yep Yep. no problem.

Just to give you the heads up. You just entered risky territory, having
two crank options around. Hahah, I speak form experience. You are always
going to be second guessing yourself about which cranks to use and
blaming failure on the cranks that you are using then. Its best just to
stick with one setup for as long as you can. 125s are where its at. Its
worth just sticking with 125s and knowing that they will work well for
you.

Old October 5th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SkierAlex

pedrotejada;1107407 wrote:
Thanks man!

I was really woried! The difference tire to top of the seat post is
2cm, so probably the problem is the crank...

I will try to get used with it... About the 135's, I heard someone
saying that the KH bearing is worse for flips... Someone knows about
that?

Well, Now I will ride hard to get used with it

At least I'm the problems and the Uni is Ok!

The bearing holders on my KH 08 frame seem to squash the bearings more
than my KH 07 and nimbus frames do so the wheel won't spin as freely.
Shouldn't make too much difference though. You could try spinning the k1
wheel and the KH wheel and see which one spins easier. But my best guess
is also that you aren't used to the shorter cranks. If you can't get
used to shorter cranks get longer ones. If you ride trials too then you
may want longer ones anyway.

BTW, when are you posting pictures of your uni's new paint job? :P

--
SkierAlex

You've highlighted my sig'.' (http://tinyurl.com/5kbxhv)
Old October 5th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

I'll post the pictures tomorrow... I really think that I'm not used with
the 125's... But for sure, the K1 flips easier...

Thanks for all the help

Old October 5th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Could just be tight bearing holders. A lot of people think the bearing
holders on the KH uni is supposed to be tightened down fully and that it
was made to have a gold hold like that.

Wrong.

I tighten my bearings all the way down and it sucks. Keep them looser
but secure and my wheel spins super smooth.

--
Jerrick

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC][SIGPIC]