A warning on pipe-cutters

Old September 26th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Default A warning on pipe-cutters

I use a pipe cutter and have noticed a very slight flaring on the Cro-Mo
posts that I use. I have had no problems with a bit of filing but have
never used an aluminum post.

For unstucking a seatpost I would suggest checking out Sheldon Bown's
page '15 Ways To Unstick a Seatpost'
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html).

--
saskatchewanian
Old September 26th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

saskatchewanian;1103318 wrote:
Sheldon Bown's page '15 Ways To Unstick a Seatpost'
(http://www.sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html).

Great advice in that link there.^^^

Except for the part about Peanut Butter Sandwich's.
Always put PB on BOTH pieces of bread,
then the jelly doesn't soak through.

--
Bondo

Apply Directly to a Unicycle.

'w00tni|iciou$n3s$Rof1iwins'
(http://tinyurl.com/5fcdr2)
Old September 26th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

uhh
i have had this problem, but from the frame warping at the bottom
and/or bending ... never the seatpost...
i never had a problem w/ my steel frames unless there was a little rust
or something...
that said, last time i got my seatpost out of my DX it took a 3' long
2x4 and a curb.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old September 26th 08, 06:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

phil;1103230 wrote:
After a particularly cheesy batch of saw blades I invested in one of
these:

[image:
http://www.germes-online.com/direct/...e_Grinder.jpg]

Quicker, easier, straighter, louder, more fun...

Phil

I'll second that, lol.

--
Fraggle

F.
Old September 26th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniaddict

Yeah when I had that problem I would just hold the saddle and push as
hard as I could with my legs on the crown of the frame. That should
help.

--
uniaddict

Any bay area riders up for a ride PM me!
'SixSixOne' (http://sixsixone.com/)
*85 foot coast!*
Old September 26th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

It especially sucks, though, when your frame snaps and you cant just hop
sif to get it out. It gets complicated...

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism and Spencer.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca
Old September 26th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

When I got my KH36. I was down at Bedfords picking it up, and when he
was trimming the post for me, he used a pipe cutter, and it was very
hard to get into the stem, actually we couldn't get it to. But once we
got some grease around the post it slipped in and out really nice.

If your going to use a pipe cutter, I recommend grease (not just some
little spray lubricant, kinda like a gel, i'm not sure exactly what it's
called)

That's my advice,

Isaac

--
isaac steiner
Old September 26th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
peleschramm

isaac steiner;1103336 wrote:
When I got my KH36. I was down at Bedfords picking it up, and when he
was trimming the post for me, he used a pipe cutter, and it was very
hard to get into the stem, actually we couldn't get it to. But once we
got some grease around the post it slipped in and out really nice.

If your going to use a pipe cutter, I recommend grease (not just some
little spray lubricant, kinda like a gel, i'm not sure exactly what it's
called)

That's my advice,

Isaac

Has worked in the past for me.

Only problem is you have to remember that the post is all greasy every
time you take it out so that you don't stain your clothes. You're still
bound to stain your hands. I may have to try that or file down my post
now.

Old September 26th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

I had the same problem with my KH Alum SeatPost!

At UNICON I used Lars pipe-cutter... Me and Miles cutted, but it got
stucked... We used a little but of water and roated the seatpost a
lot...

Be aware! Maybe you scratched your seat tube, and maybe you have little
aluminium pieces between the seatpost and the seat tube... Remove the
seat tube and clean it!

Here when I arrived I used Kitchen Soap and worked fine... Anyway, my
seatpost do not looks good... For my luck I use it all the way down!

--
pedrotejada

*BUT*

Brazilian Unicycling Team

Add me on 'FaceBook'
(http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1284254657)
Add me on 'MySpace'
(http://www.myspace.com/pedrotejada)
Old September 26th 08, 07:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
muni_guy

I think you might be onto something Ken (and others). You've got me
wondering if I'll ever be able to get the seatpost out of my KH36 again.
I had trouble getting the seatpost into the frame following KH seatpost
amputation via a pipe cutter. After much filing in went in without
grease. I hope it'll come out.

Fingers crossed.

Carl

--
muni_guy

1. Cutters 2. I can't remember Ryan Cousineau Racing 1 April 22nd 07 11:03 PM
cable cutters lubaloo UK 11 November 4th 05 08:34 PM
Cable cutters - advice needed Julesh UK 58 December 6th 04 06:29 PM
I hate the Cutters in France joyoh Racing 19 November 10th 03 04:51 AM