A warning on pipe-cutters

Old September 26th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
forrestunifreak

Default A warning on pipe-cutters

I just use a pipe cutter, stick it in without using a file, and go on
without any problems.

--
forrestunifreak

'*-My Gallery*' (http://tinyurl.com/wcrsl) -
hasn't been
updated*www.qu-ax.com*
*unicycle for christ*

Joe "Hodgekins" wrote:
Oh... they don't kick bricks, do they?

Old September 26th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

i think the problem is ppl getting overly tight with the pipecutter,
just don't crank the cutter so much.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old September 26th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisteve

skrobo;1103383 wrote:
i think the problem is ppl getting overly tight with the pipecutter,
just don't crank the cutter so much.

That is what my Dad told me (after I got a seat post stuck in a frame).
He said if you cut too fast it'll flare the end a lot more, but even if
you do crank it really slowly, filing the outside edge is not usually a
bad idea.

It took us an afternoon to get the seat post out of my KH 36 frame
after I got it lodged in there. In the process of trying to separate the
two pieces, I scratched up the inside of the frame so much that I
couldn't get the post back in even when it was filed. We had to use a
round file and a few invented power drill attachments to smooth the
inside of the frame again.

Lesson learned: don't be so impatient with the pipe cutter, and file
the edge of the seat post.

--
unisteve

\"the real answer is that you want both.\" -joemarshall
Old September 26th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

unisteve;1103394 wrote:
Lesson learned: don't be so impatient with the pipe cutter, and file the
edge of the seat post.

This has been what's worked for me. I haven't cut too many posts with
the pipe cutter, but so far no problems noticed. You have to file if you
use a hacksaw anyway, but I don't think you need to file as much if you
make a gentle cut with the pipe cutter. All pipe cutters may not be
created equal however, so some may be more flare-prone than others...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old September 26th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

I've always used a hack saw and file, its quick, easy and clean. The
angle grinder looks fun though, I've only ever used one for cleaning my
uni frame off with a wire brush disk

Well this thread calls for a note to self! Don't use a pipe cutter to
cut down posts.

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

'Restoring a Mini Mayfair... It's going to be awesome!!!!!!'
(http://tinyurl.com/6jry36)
'My bebo thingy' (http://www.bebo.com/unicyclist_for_life)
Old September 26th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

pedrotejada;1103342 wrote:
We used a little but of water and roated the seatpost a lot... Here
when I arrived I used Kitchen Soap and worked fine... Anyway, my
seatpost do not looks good... For my luck I use it all the way down!

You're doing it wrong!

Soap and water are for washing your hands, not for working with metal.

Unless it's oil or grease, you shouldn't be putting it on a seatpost...
you're only going to make things worse.

Really, you can use any oil on your seatpost in a pinch... even motor
oil or vegetable oil... just remember to wipe off any excess to keep
things clean.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
Old September 26th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

Reciprocating saw FTW!

I love mine (I mean my dads...) cuts through anything in seconds, never
had a problem with it, cuts through aluminum, steel, anything! And its
huge!!!

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old September 26th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

For the record, I did file the post after using the pipe cutter. Quite
a lot of filing in fact, but obviously not enough.

The pipe cutter causes the bottom to flare outwards due to the
pressure from the pipe cutter roller. So it means you can get it into
the frame easily enough, but when you try to pull it out, it's like a
rachet- it cuts into the seatube and stops you from pulling up.

It's almost welded itself into the frame now. I'm going to take it to
the bike shop to use a vice and a blowtorch.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old September 27th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclist.ca

maybe you can cut the top off and put a smaller seatpost inside with
shims...

--
unicyclist.ca

http://www.Unicyclist.ca
Old September 27th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

I use a small plumbing pipe cutter (made for cutting copper pipe) and
take it easy, low pressure, no rush. Then give the cut a quick sandpaper
just to take the sharp edge off, bit of grease, job done.

--
lunicycle

1. Cutters 2. I can't remember Ryan Cousineau Racing 1 April 22nd 07 11:03 PM
cable cutters lubaloo UK 11 November 4th 05 08:34 PM
Cable cutters - advice needed Julesh UK 58 December 6th 04 06:29 PM
I hate the Cutters in France joyoh Racing 19 November 10th 03 04:51 AM