Carrying Luggage on a Long Distance Ride (36)

Old January 11th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pfalvi

Default Carrying Luggage on a Long Distance Ride (36)

So, if one was going on a long unicycle journey, and they needed more
than a single backpack, how might one attach or carry such luggage? What
is the best way to carry things on a long journey? This would be done on
a thirty six inch Coker and Nimbus Nightrider. Any help would be great!

--
pfalvi
Old January 11th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

I think the best advice is; don't

I rode around 150 miles on my N36 with close to the bare essentials a
year or two ago. Most of it was on my back, but I had the heavier stuff
tied to the T7. With all of that weight, it really took all the
pleasure out of the ride. It becomes a lot of hard work to ride, and
kills the maneuvering.

I also rode a few mile with a backpack stuffed full, and a large bag
attached to that, and a small bag in my hand. That wasn't fun, and
wasn't safe either.

The thing you need to do is sort out the absolute minimum of what you
need to take. Then leave around half of it behind. The heaviest and
least fragile bits can be tied to the handlebars.

Some people have tried bicycle pannier carriers that mount on the
seatpost (somewhere there's a post by Siafirede discussing this), but I
seem to remember the conclusion was that it wasn't great.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old January 11th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

carrying stuff on a unicycle sucks. If you insist on using a unicycle
carrying stuff in a backpack really speeds up and magnifies saddle
soreness and strapping stuff to handles makes the unicycle handle like
poop. I heard that there is a guy around Kamloops who tows a modified
BOB trailer behind a unicycle but then I figure why not just bike?

I think if there were two people and you really need to carry so much
stuff and it doesn't fit in a backpack, I would have one person
unicycling and the other riding an Xtracycled bike carrying all the
gear. Take turns being the mule.

How far are you going and in what kind of weather are you doing this
trip that you need so much stuff? Dehydrate your food, ditch your tent
(bring a silnylon tarp), bring half as much cloths, buy a better
sleeping bag and you should be able to fit everything you need for a
month in a 60L bag

--
saskatchewanian
Old January 11th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

saskatchewanian;1168922 wrote:
...why not just bike?

That's a great idea actually, take a friggin mountain bike! You can
bring anything you want, you have 24 gears or so and you can chill on
the way down. If you miss the where's your other wheel questions, just
record them before your trip and put them on your ipod. Problem solved.
Or wear something weird like a clowns costume or whatever, you'll get
the strange looks and stupid comments you've been missing.

But seriously, if you do a search you'll find a couple of threads
dealing with this subject.

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old January 12th 09, 08:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

Better than taking a bike would be to take a bike with someone else
riding it: they can take the majority of your equipment as well as their
own.

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old January 12th 09, 10:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Unless you have to camp, you don't need to take more than will fit in a
small rucksack. The bare essentials will fit in a 20 litre camelbak. I
can do summer camping (bivvying) from a 20 litre camelbak, although that
is a bit of a tight fit, and I do put my (very small, waterproof down)
sleeping bag on the outside.

If you find yourself needing more stuff than that, don't bother
bringing some of the stuff. That was Spencer's problem above, where he
says 'the bare essentials', he took about 3 or 4 times as much stuff as
he needed, and had a really uncomfortable ride.

If you get it right, you can get away with a silly small amount of
gear, it doesn't affect the way your unicycle rides at all, and it is
great fun. I've done muni rides with overnight stops and the muni was
fine to ride, even on proper off road descents.

If you have to camp, then bivvy out, there's loads of info on bivvying
if you search for it.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old January 12th 09, 11:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
napalm

i did a 28 day 2000km self supported ride using a nimbus 36 and my
normal 60l hiking pack. Everthing people have said above is about right,
but i found after about 5 days i didn't notice an increase in saddle
soreness or leg fatigue (just like when you start riding you thing you
will never get used to having a funny saddle wedged between your legs).
I had a one man tent (bivvy would have been better but it is nice to
have more space than a plastic tomb if the weather turns) small metho
cooker, 4 litres of water, 2 changes of thermals, 2 cycling nicks, food
for 2 days, cycle tools, thermarest and sleeping bag and travel towel.
Other stuff as well helps, like sanitising wash for your cycling nics
(have to wash them after each day of riding), some deep heat, neurofen,
and lots of bananas, marsbars, and museli bars.

Some things i learned- you need a spare tube and metal tyre levers,
never skimp on carrying water (fill up whenever you get the chance),
wrap your bag in some high vis material and buy a little rear vision
mirror for your helmet.

As for thermals i can only recommend merino wool icebreakers. They are
the most comfortable, don't hold odour, dry quickly and have a pretty
good life span- they are pricey but totally worth it.

If i remember anything else i will post again but those are some of the
more important things i learned on my trip,
mark

--
napalm
Old January 12th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

joemarshall;1169229 wrote:
If you find yourself needing more stuff than that, don't bother bringing
some of the stuff. That was Spencer's problem above, where he says 'the
bare essentials', he took about 3 or 4 times as much stuff as he needed,
and had a really uncomfortable ride.

You mean it's possible to survive for a couple of days without the
laptop and fridge? And surely the Jim Morrison carpet is an essential
requirement!

Keeping on topic, I've never tried to unicycle far with more than a
little rucksack of stuff. With a bike it's best to keep all the luggage
on the bike, not the rider, but I can imagine on a unicycle you'd have
to keep any weight very close to the middle (i.e. on the seat post) to
avoid screwing up the steering - a pair of bike panniers sticking out
the back on a rack would probably be pretty nasty.

Rob

--
rob.northcott
Old January 12th 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

Ok let's keep this thread going...

Let's change this up a bit. I'm planning (in the not too distant
future) to do a semi-self supported multi-day (actually multi-week)
almost totally off-road ride. By semi-self-supported I was aiming at
carrying enough food so that I could be met by crew support (probably my
wife) every couple or three days. Do you think one could go the Joe
Marshall route and do this on a small rucksack say large camelbak type
pack and be managable? I'm anticipating a fair portion of each day
would be split between hiking and riding so I'd be able to get frequent
breaks. Do to the nature of the terrain I'll be riding my KH24. This
trip will be at altitude and in the summer time so although I probably
won't need a full tent I'll still have to have enough to stay warm at
night... I imagine the total trip time will be between 2-3 weeks...

--
MuniSano
Old January 12th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
napalm

i would also suggest that sticking stuff to your unicycle as a means of
carrying it is not such a good idea. When i was preparing for my trip i
experimented a little but you can't really put any substantial weight on
the unicycle frame without it severely affecting your ability to ride-
better in the bag than on your frame.

Munisano- your trip sounds like it would be fun to do. If i were you i
would maybe look at a 30L camel back style bag (or even small hiking bag
that you can chuck a bladder in). The ones i have seen recently have a
back frame that keeps the bag off your back for ventilation, something
that might be nice if you are exerting yourself off road.

Another thing that i just remembered- the KH fusion seat that has a
channel for gouch relief is great for normal riding but if you are
adding a few kgs in a bag, the foam is not dense enough to hold it's
form when you are carrying more weight. It might be worth your while to
do what i have seen a few people do on this forum and experiment with
exchanging the foams for ones of different density, or making the
channel more pronounced (ie wallis road relief saddle).

mark

--
napalm