No helmet required for me anymore

Old December 29th 10, 07:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
RFC

Default No helmet required for me anymore

Just as I thought.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/authors-ad...ml?from=age_ft

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in a bike
race.

Old December 30th 10, 03:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:
Just as I thought.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/authors-ad...ml?from=age_ft

Hm, I have come off my bike several times and each time, my head was
nowhere near where I hit the ground except for that one time when I went
over my handlebars and speared face first into the pavement - lost some
skin on my cheekbone, chipped my tooth and cut my bottom lip from the
inside but NO impact to the cranium(?). Maybe I should think of a face
guard

Still, I would wear a helmet becos I know it needs to save me only once.
It also stops the cops from pulling me over

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in a bike
race.

In Australia, some people wear Lycra even when they are not competing
Old December 30th 10, 08:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote

Hm, I have come off my bike several times and each time, my head was
nowhere near where I hit the ground

You left it at home perhaps? :-)

except for that one time when I went over my handlebars and speared face
first into the pavement - lost some skin on my cheekbone, chipped my tooth
and cut my bottom lip from the inside but NO impact to the cranium(?).
Maybe I should think of a face guard

Still, I would wear a helmet becos I know it needs to save me only once.
It also stops the cops from pulling me over

Do you think you should be forced to wear a helmet under penalty of a large
fine?

Theo

Old December 30th 10, 08:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Ross

On Dec 30, 1:39*pm, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in a bike
race.

In Australia, some people wear Lycra even when they are not competing

All the road bike cyclists (as opposed to commuters) I saw in France
last year were wearing lycra. Most of them were wearing helmets as
well.

So what if cyclists wear Lycra even when they are not competing? Lycra
is more comfortable to wear while riding a bike rather than normal
street clothes.

Do swimmers wear a dinner suit when going swimming? Of course not.
They wear Speedos or board shorts because they are the most
comfortable and practical garments to wear.
Old December 30th 10, 05:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 30/12/2010 6:48 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Geoff Lock"glock@home wrote

Hm, I have come off my bike several times and each time, my head was
nowhere near where I hit the ground

You left it at home perhaps? :-)

Heheeh Good one - I asked for it, I guess

except for that one time when I went over my handlebars and speared face
first into the pavement - lost some skin on my cheekbone, chipped my tooth
and cut my bottom lip from the inside but NO impact to the cranium(?).
Maybe I should think of a face guard

Still, I would wear a helmet becos I know it needs to save me only once.
It also stops the cops from pulling me over

Do you think you should be forced to wear a helmet under penalty of a large
fine?

Well, I, for one, should be forced to do things or I'd never do them
Old December 30th 10, 05:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in a bike
race.

In Australia, some people wear Lycra even when they are not competing

All the road bike cyclists (as opposed to commuters) I saw in France
last year were wearing lycra. Most of them were wearing helmets as
well.

Must be catching cos many road bike riders in Australia seem to like the
stretchy stuff as well I guess I fall into the commuter category
despite pretending to be Thor Hushovd sometimes

So what if cyclists wear Lycra even when they are not competing? Lycra
is more comfortable to wear while riding a bike rather than normal
street clothes.

Hey, relax, Ross, picking on Lycra wearing cyclists is just my way of
getting back at them for passing me on the road.

It is very disheartening for me when I am in Thor-mode and getting
overtaken by a Lycra wearing cyclist on a carbon fibre bike and I can't
keep up with my 40-yr piece of crap.

Can't diss their bike cos I would dearly love one myself, can't diss
them cos they might be nice people, so the only thing left is to pick on
their Lycra. It all makes sense, you see

Do swimmers wear a dinner suit when going swimming? Of course not.
They wear Speedos or board shorts because they are the most
comfortable and practical garments to wear.

And exactly what is wrong with wearing a dinner suit whilst swimming? I
find it more convenient if I have to attend any parties after my morning
constitution.
Old December 31st 10, 12:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_6_]

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message ...
On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:
Just as I thought.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/authors-ad...ml?from=age_ft

Hm, I have come off my bike several times and each time, my head was nowhere near where
I hit the ground except for that one time when I went over my handlebars and speared
face first into the pavement - lost some skin on my cheekbone, chipped my tooth and cut
my bottom lip from the inside but NO impact to the cranium(?). Maybe I should think of a
face guard

Still, I would wear a helmet becos I know it needs to save me only once. It also stops
the cops from pulling me over

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in a bike
race.

In Australia, some people wear Lycra even when they are not competing

Which reminds me...

....the protective value of lycra must be just about nil, compared to (for example)
the old woollen bike shorts you used to be able to buy or shortened army pants,
or even King Gee workshorts.

Isn't it time lycra was banned?

T.

Old December 31st 10, 01:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter Cremasco[_2_]

On 30/12/10 05:11, RFC wrote:
Just as I thought.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/authors-ad...ml?from=age_ft

No one wears lycra or helmets in Europe unless they are competing in a bike
race.

I think you've misinterpreted that article.

The authors claim, that helmets don't reduce head injuries, have been
shown to be flawed.

Old December 31st 10, 02:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 31/12/2010 10:48 AM, Tomasso wrote:

"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
On 30/12/2010 5:11 AM, RFC wrote:
Just as I thought.

In Australia, some people wear Lycra even when they are not competing

Which reminds me...

...the protective value of lycra must be just about nil, compared to
(for example)
the old woollen bike shorts you used to be able to buy or shortened army
pants,
or even King Gee workshorts.

You got a point there becos I had a fall this winter just past but
managed to do my ninja imitation and copped the fall around my shoulder
region. Fortunately, I was wearing my KMart sloppy joe and all I got was
a reddish mark on the skin.

Now with summer in full swing, I am usually in a tee-shirt or just my
hi-vis vest (and yes, I've got my jeans on as well) and I am dreading my
next off - yes, it is around the corner, I just know it Without
thickish clothing on me, I am gonna lose skin but me mate Gazza tells me
to stop whinging cos skin grows back.

Isn't it time lycra was banned?

No way!!! I would put up with Lycra wearing cyclists only if for the
occassional times when I see soft curvaceous lines ....
Old December 31st 10, 05:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC[_2_]

On 2010-12-31, Geoff Lock (aka Bruce)
On 31/12/2010 10:48 AM, Tomasso wrote:
Isn't it time lycra was banned?

No way!!! I would put up with Lycra wearing cyclists only if for the
occassional times when I see soft curvaceous lines ....

Would that be a bianchi?

--
TimC
I can say that eating a raw, immature habañero pepper is nothing so

Is Nothing Sacred Anymore?! Uncle Dave Racing 5 April 29th 10 05:49 PM
don't need his guide mut anymore [email protected] Australia 0 September 24th 08 03:36 AM
Not Listening Anymore CyclePro Racing 0 May 22nd 05 01:00 PM
Uh-Oh, we're not at Sea Otter anymore... Alec Sander Racing 23 April 25th 05 02:52 AM
"Helmet Required" sign??? Zilla Mountain Biking 46 March 21st 05 12:27 PM