High Resting HR - cause for concern?

Old July 15th 03, 03:11 AM
i2ambler

Default High Resting HR - cause for concern?

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
dimitri_z wrote:
: I have checked the internet and groups with no real answer and i am
: still a little worried. I am a male, 30 year old of reasonable
: fitness i.e. I can ride a bike 100km at around 30km/h avg speed, can
: easilly run at a nice pace for over an hour, and can run 5km in 20
: minutes. I smoke about 5 cigarettes per day and eat well. I just
: bought an HRM.

You sound a bit like me... wish I was that fast on the bike. I never
smoked though, been vegetarian for ~15 years, but I indulge

: Resting rate is 70 - 80 bpm (not the 'wake-up' reading, just my
: normal rate) I can work out at 150 - 160 bpm for over 1/2 hour I get
: back down to 110 bpm within a few minutes of strenuous exercise I
: cannot stay over 180 bpm for very long (nausea / dizziness sets in)

That sounds pretty close to my readings. My max is 200, a bit high,
certainly within normal and prolly caused by genetics. My morning rate
in bed can be as low as 47 beats, seems I can now work out at 160 for
1.5 hours and at 150 for many more hours... Like you, my recovery is
maybe not very rapid...

I had some medical data gathered regarding my heart, and it indicated
my heart is healthy...

: Should I be worried or consult a doctor or is it 'genetic' for me to
: have a higher HR?

I see no reason to worry in this. If your HRM has beat-to-beat
recording, you could get a graph where you can see any missing beats
or extra beats in your pulse as peaks or dips. If you'd get that
stuff, and it's obviously not caused by technical factors, then I'd
see a doctor... but I don't think it's likely for you.

First, I'd get a true rest reading, the "first in the morning"
kinda thing.
Second, your rest rate is your rest rate. Whatever it is, it can usually
be trained downward, and 70-80 bpm is high for someone as fit as
yourself (after a year on the bike my rest HR has dropped from the low
70s to the mid 50s), but that may not mean much.
Third, could you be overtraining? A high rest heart rate is the
classic sign of overtraining, and could be exactly what is causing
these symptoms.
I'm not a doctor, see yours for a checkup, etc. etc....
--
Ryan Cousineau,

http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousinehttp://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President,
Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

First of all, you checked your heart rate at a BBQ, where you are
walking around ,talking, and possibly drinking. If I am walking around
and bsing my heart rate is at 80 also.. If I sit down and relax for 10
minutes and take it, its down to 58..