Petty Unicycle Company, Arvada Colorado?

Old January 15th 08, 04:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jl0r

Default Petty Unicycle Company, Arvada Colorado?

petty wrote:
Are you still interested in knowing about the Petty Unicycle? My dad
made them back in the 50's when we lived in Wichita. They were the
first commercial unicycle made in the US and he advertised in Boy's
Life. When Schwinn started making them, he couldn't compete. Dad kept
about 5 in the garage at all times for anyone in the neighborhood that
wanted to ride. We moved to Arvada in 1961 and he made them for a few
more years. The seats were made to bounce (so they wouldn''t get
destroyed) and shaped so that they could be ridden both ways (no front
or back). My dad helped my brother build a tall unicycle and rode it
in Grand Junction CO and was in the Guiness Book of Records for a
minute before someone rode a taller one. My brother (pictured on the
flyer) used unicycles for delivering papers and he always had tall ones
to ride around on. Linda

Thank you Linda. That is excellent information. Thanks for the details!

--
jl0r
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

skilewis74 wrote:

John, just how long have you had that avatar?

When you update your avatar, it updates on all of your posts.

--
jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

petty wrote:
Are you still interested in knowing about the Petty Unicycle? My dad
made them back in the 50's when we lived in Wichita. They were the
first commercial unicycle made in the US and he advertised in Boy's
Life. When Schwinn started making them, he couldn't compete. Dad kept
about 5 in the garage at all times for anyone in the neighborhood that
wanted to ride. We moved to Arvada in 1961 and he made them for a few
more years. The seats were made to bounce (so they wouldn''t get
destroyed) and shaped so that they could be ridden both ways (no front
or back). My dad helped my brother build a tall unicycle and rode it
in Grand Junction CO and was in the Guiness Book of Records for a
minute before someone rode a taller one. My brother (pictured on the
flyer) used unicycles for delivering papers and he always had tall ones
to ride around on. Linda

Linda
Do you and your brother still ride?

--
Daytripper63

The Dictionary is the only place where "Success" comes before "Working"
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

fun for 7-70?? sorry harper, go get a bike

--
Brian MacKenzie

'CanadianUnicycling.com' (http://www.canadianunicycling.com)

DVDs Now Available: 'Inner Balance' (http://tinyurl.com/2pd7sm) ,
'Training Wheel Not Required' (http://tinyurl.com/2b8cq6)
Coming Soon: '90 min documentary: Ride The Lobster'
(http://tinyurl.com/2wfltu)
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 15th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

petty wrote:
My dad helped my brother build a tall unicycle and rode it in Grand
Junction CO and was in the Guiness Book of Records for a minute before
someone rode a taller one. Linda

Cool Bump, thanks for chiming in Petty!!

Is this your brother??
[image:
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...cle/uni45.jpg]

We found your tall unicycle in Grand Junction...check out this thread
and how the bike shop saved it from the trash pile:
http://tinyurl.com/2dtzra

Tell us more about the giant giraffe, You may wish to go see it
displayed and talk with the owners of the shop, I'm sure they would
love to talk with you!!

As a unicyclist from Colorado it is interestng to learn some of the
history!!

--
Bondo
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

jamessd wrote:
When you update your avatar, it updates on all of your posts.

I know. He's had that avatar, I think, since I discovered this site
(two years ago), and I was thinking it's been there a lot longer.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.
Bob Burnquist on how to improve significantly.

yunisyko wrote:
it's all about balls. i lose them often and then get em back.

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

I did a little research and it turns out this is the guy who founded the
company! Looks familiar, but I just can't place him!

|Filename: tom petty.jpeg |

MuniAddict

My Videos:

'http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699
Old January 16th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

MuniAddict wrote:
I did a little research and it turns out this is the guy who founded the
company! Looks familiar, but I just can't place him!

Perhaps his name is Tom.

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 16th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rem48

Linda,
THanks for the history. I wonder why more people have not tried to
design a seat so there is no front/back.

--
rem48
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 17th 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

rem48 wrote:
Linda,
THanks for the history. I wonder why more people have not tried to
design a seat so there is no front/back.

cause then you might be riding your uni backwards on accident and
unscrew the pedals and mess up your crank threads. also, the front of
what you sit on is very different from the back. so saddles are
designed so that the part for the back is comfortable for the back and
the part for the front is comfortable for the front.

--
zfreak220

You'll get hurt if you don't land it.

Jedził Koło
http://www.usenet.com

Arvada Colorado magicollin Unicycling 2 March 11th 04 01:13 AM
High School Unicycle Club Memphis Mud Unicycling 11 February 11th 04 03:49 PM
surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 11:38 PM
New Unicycle types! XWonka Unicycling 16 October 15th 03 08:54 PM