'Use your head: wear a h*lm*t,' say olympic cycling stars

Old August 25th 04, 02:22 PM
elyob

Default 'Use your head: wear a h*lm*t,' say olympic cycling stars

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/Content/Detail...4&NewsAreaID=2

Two of Britain's medal-chasing Olympic cycling team - Welsh sensation
Nicole Cooke and Jamie Staff from Ashford in Kent - have teamed up
with the government's THINK road safety campaign to encourage young
riders in to use their head and wear a helmet.

Cycling is healthy and enjoyable but it is not risk-free and nearly 50
child cyclists were killed or seriously injured during each month of
2003. Although casualty rates for children in all types of road
accidents are coming down, last year 171 children were killed and
3,929 seriously injured on Britain's roads.

On South Yorkshire's roads, there were 130 child cycle casualties in
2003, with 9 killed or seriously injured.

And while Nicole and Jamie will be going flat out on the track in
Greece, they know how important it is to stay safe when they're back
on the roads.

Nicole Cooke said:

"There is nothing better than being out and about on my bike,
especially in the summer. But it's easy to forget that drivers don't
always see you, even if you can see them. I wear a helmet every time I
ride my bike, whether I'm on the road or the racetrack. I'm giving my
support to the THINK! campaign to try to encourage more young people
to do the same."

Jamie Staff said:

"Cycling is a great way to keep fit but if you don't do it safely, the
results can be disastrous. Helmets can help reduce the chances and
severity of head injuries - yet most young cyclists don't wear them. I
am lending my support to the THINK campaign to make young bikers aware
of how important it is to cycle safely and to wear a helmet every time
they ride their bikes."
Old August 25th 04, 02:32 PM
Simonb

elyob wrote:

Nicole Cooke said:

"[...] it's easy to forget that drivers don't
always see you, even if you can see them. I wear a helmet every time I
ride my bike, [...]"

Two completely unrelated facts. Thanks Nicole.

Old August 25th 04, 02:36 PM
Colin Blackburn

On 25 Aug 2004 06:22:34 -0700, elyob wrote:

Cycling is healthy and enjoyable but it is not risk-free and nearly 50
child cyclists were killed or seriously injured during each month of
2003. Although casualty rates for children in all types of road
accidents are coming down, last year 171 children were killed and
3,929 seriously injured on Britain's roads.

I really dislike the way they do this. Give a KSI number for child
cyclists which may go beyond just road traffic accidents. Then give a
number killed for all RTAs. There is an intersection between these two
sets but they are not the same.

Colin
Old August 25th 04, 03:31 PM
davek

elyob wrote:
Nicole Cooke said:
But it's easy to forget that drivers don't
always see you, even if you can see them.

Well, a helmet should help there, obviously.

Jamie Staff said:
Helmets can help reduce the chances ... of head injuries

Of course.

Pffffft!

how important it is to cycle safely and to wear a helmet every time
they ride their bikes."

cycle safely /AND/ wear a helmet, eh?

d.
Old August 25th 04, 06:12 PM
Zog The Undeniable

elyob quoted from some quango:

Two of Britain's medal-chasing^H^H^H^H^H^H^H losing Olympic cycling team - Welsh sensation
Nicole Cooke and Jamie Staff from Ashford in Kent - have teamed up
with the government's THINK road safety campaign to encourage young
riders in to use their head and wear a helmet.

OK, that was childish. But this is worse:

Please remember kids, Nicole is sponsored by Limar Helmets and has
trouble making it round corners. Neither of these may apply to you.

I'm sorry, but I regard this sort of thing as treason, given that it
portrays cycling as dangerous and reduces the likelihood that future
youngsters will follow on their footsteps.

Incidentally, 9 KSIs out of 130 casualties is rather low. WTF does
"casualty" include?
Old August 25th 04, 07:56 PM
The Oldfellow

.....Helmets can help reduce the chances and
severity of head injuries...

and there was me thinking it was a device to stop the toupee flying off
in the wind...

--
I am not a Lawyer, nothing I write is legal advice. I am not a
Physician, nothing I write is medical advice. I am not a Politician,