Someone please help me overcome my fears

Old June 16th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iPod_therefore_iUni

Default Someone please help me overcome my fears

Lately I've been scared of doing simple things... new, but simple.

For example just riding down 4 stairs, I can do 3 stairs easy but 4
just seams to stop me in my tracks.

I dont know whats wrong with me, so I need some tips on confidence.

Anyone got some ideas???

--
iPod_therefore_iUni

SHUT UP AND UNI!
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

Yes, i have the same issue i think, with stairs...
Today was the first time since doing a 4 set i had had the chance to
try another set, the ones i originally did were onto grass, i think
this is what is stopping me (the whole 'concrete' thing).
OK, it may have just been i wasnt in the mood to uni today, but i will
see when i get my 661s.
What protection do you wear? I honestly feel more confident when
wearing as much protective gear as possible.

--
mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
byza_dog

well with my gloves and leg guards (661 veggie wraps) i think to myself,
well if i stuff it up i wont hurt my legs or kill my hands. and i will
not be in fear of putting my hands down to save my head seeing i have
me gloves on, so i just go for it.

also remember some advice that is with all posts kevin makes, 'you wont
get hurt if you land it' so just tell yourself that you are going to
do it and not crash and do it, you must think about what you are about
to do, but dont do what most people do and think about it too much.

think about what you need to do in order to land it then do it. if you
think about it for longer than that you will begin to think of all the
downsides and eventually talk yourself out of it.

--
byza_dog

improving each day revs r cool, i say rev it up!

_CRANKFLIP_CHAMPION!!_1st_place__
)---'O, Crankflip link to crankflip vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmQnEIXc4Y

Street Dog (my vid) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijM6vbhc5xs
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

You are 3 steps ahead of me. IMHO fear of hurt can cause some stress. I
wish it was cooler where I lived. Imagine how it would feel in a full
on road racers 150 mph suit! Just go for it !
Really though, if armor doesn't help you relax, maybe you are pushing
to fast. Heed that inner warning. Maybe there is other simpler stuff
your gut wants you to learn first.
An old racer told me that the fastest way to get fast is to never
ride faster then you can. Broken bones have slowed the greats much more
then fear ever could.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iPod_therefore_iUni

i wear helmet and gloves... thats my protection gear but the 661's are
coming soon too.

I think my problem with landing stuff like this is exactly what BYZA
DOG said... i think about too many things, then eventually talk myself
out of it. On the way there I'm thinking *I'm gunna do it this time...
its easy, ill just do it* but when i get there, i roll up to and and go
*Whoa! NO way...* its really annoying because i really want to do it
but something just pulls me back everytime.

I have injured myself a few times and i think this may be why im
scared.

Ive fractured my wrist when i was a newbie riding down a 3 set, skinned
my knee pretty deep countless times and the bruises are just a common
thing now (Ive nearly completely covered my legs in them)

So maybe my memory of pain is holding me back i really don't know but i
think the 661's will help when i get them.

Cheers

--
iPod_therefore_iUni

SHUT UP AND UNI!
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sprida

Just *shutup and uni*

--
Sprida
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

I just try to visualise it for a few seconds and then go for it. If you
find yourself just standing on top of a stairset, thinking about how
you wanna ride down it and how much you're afraid, but there is nothing
to be afraid of, but you're still thinking about it, blah blah blah,
yada yada yada... Just go away, do something completely different, take
your mind off it and come back in ten minutes. Then just go for it. You
might feel fear gathering in your chest, just ignore it and roll on.

And remember to always stay alert. If you're falling, react to it,
adjust yourself, don't just fall down. Right now it's too hot for me to
wear any protection, I ride all the time, I do trials, flatland,
skinnies on round railings, unispins, etc. All I've got to show for it
are a few small pedal-bites on my shins. Learn how to fall properly.
Edit: I'm not saying give up your protection. Protection is very
important. But what's much more important is how you behave.

You can also sometimes get these mental blocks for small things. Like,
for instance, I couldn't unispin off a curb. I just couldn't jump and
spin the uni. No matter what I did, something always stopped me. So, I
just imagined that there wasn't a curb and the pavement extended unto
the road. I landed it the third try.

Try to be creative about your mental blocks, don't fight them, try to
find a way around them.

--
ivan

How's my attitude, dirt bag?entropy isn't what it used to
be.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

I have no stairs to try haha

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 01:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Matt_V

I have mental blocks about a few things. I still try them but I just
never commit to the trick and I land on my feet. It really ****es me
off sometimes. So I just try it like 50 times in a row untill I can
finally just go for it and once I commit to something new once, it is
easy to do it again.

If it is something scary thats stopping you, just turn your brain off
and do it. After you try it once, It is be easier every time.

--
Matt_V

-Matt
*)--360--O*The Unispin Elite
'You are invited' (www.lost.eu/3c846)
My msn: - Add me if you wish
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mcnuggets300

iPod_therefore_iUni wrote:
Lately I've been scared of doing simple things... new, but simple.

For example just riding down 4 stairs, I can do 3 stairs easy but 4
just seams to stop me in my tracks.

I dont know whats wrong with me, so I need some tips on confidence.

Anyone got some ideas???

saaame
i fell pretty bad on my back going down a 4 set (i was told "go down
slower this time!" and i listened to them as i was just going off the
first stair) and busted my ass for a week, since then riding down
stairs has been quite daunting indeed, though hooping down isn't a
problem.

--
mcnuggets300

there's the right way, there's the wrong way, and there's my way

pkplonker's got it right:
~''~ Unicycle for the Flying Spaghetti Monster ~''~
http://www.usenet.com

Liberace's worst fears [email protected] Mountain Biking 0 November 4th 06 10:33 PM
Web cam paedophile fears ian henden UK 0 June 14th 06 10:32 PM
Fork-mount fears [email protected] General 12 May 30th 06 03:45 PM
Wheelchairs prompt safety fears Colin Blackburn UK 7 March 26th 05 08:26 PM
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. S o r n i Mountain Biking 2 February 10th 04 08:07 PM