Road bike or Tri Bike

Old June 22nd 07, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Ruaraidh

Default Road bike or Tri Bike

I am about to invest in a new bike. I am planning on using the bike
to commute to work (approximately 7 miles on London's finest city
centre roads) and eventually throw myself into the world of
triathlons.

I am looking on spending approximately £600.

Having looked through various bike websites, there is quite a lot of
choice in terms of road bikes, tri bikes, road shoes, tri shoes etc...

Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what I should
be looking for and whether £600 will get me a reasonable enough bike.

Old June 22nd 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
RonSonic

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 03:55:31 -0700, Ruaraidh
wrote:

I am about to invest in a new bike. I am planning on using the bike
to commute to work (approximately 7 miles on London's finest city
centre roads) and eventually throw myself into the world of
triathlons.

I am looking on spending approximately £600.

Having looked through various bike websites, there is quite a lot of
choice in terms of road bikes, tri bikes, road shoes, tri shoes etc...

Just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what I should
be looking for and whether £600 will get me a reasonable enough bike.

Get a road bike. As a newb you don't have the strength or technique for the tri
bike to be any faster and the road bike will be much more versatile and way more
comfortable. I don't think the difference in road and tri shoes is anything more
than trading off stability for fast entry and closure. I'd go with whatever
feels best on the feet in your price range.

Your price will not impress or scare the competition, but it will get you a
better bike than won the TdF 25 years ago. More than good enough for training
and commuting.

The usual advice to new guys applies, you are shopping for a shop that supports
you and a good fit on the bike as much as anything else.

Ron

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at http://www.soundclick.com/ronsonicpedalry

Old June 22nd 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
sally

Tri bikes are designed for flat fast rides. They are less than ideal for
slower or hillier rides.
Old June 25th 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Dan H[_31_]

Get the tri bike.

If you are like me and always late to leave for work, the tri bike will
shave seconds off your time. Also, the best time trialers spend lots of
time getting comfortable on the TT machine.

--
Dan H