29" ?

Old January 5th 05, 12:00 AM
pauly

Default 29" ?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of a 29" mtb? I know there is a limited
selection of wheels and tires. What are some of the other issues to be aware
of?

Pauly

Old January 5th 05, 12:03 AM
pauly

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 16:00:17 -0800, pauly wrote
(in article t):

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of a 29" mtb? I know there is a limited
selection of wheels and tires. What are some of the other issues to be aware

of?

Pauly

btw I'm mainly interested in xc trail riding

Old January 5th 05, 01:55 PM
J G

"Zilla" wrote
pauly wrote:
Any thoughts on the pros and cons of a 29" mtb? I know there is a
limited selection of wheels and tires. What are some of the other
issues to be aware of?

Pauly

google this group on the subject; it was discussed 6 mos. ago
I believe.

I run a 29" Van Dessel Buzz Bomb set up as a Disc SingleSpeed and love
it.

29"ers are pretty cool if you are in tune with them.
I tried out G@ry F!sh&rs personal prototype 3 summers ago when he
vitited our local riding area and was quite impressed. Waited a year
and ten demo'd a few production models, again was duly impressed but
costs prohibited the purchase. Over the next 2 years I collected parts
to build my own to my specs and I am happy to report that the bike has
ar exceeded my expectations. It is now my primary pony.

Tire selection is improving and rim selection is as well.
WTB Mutanoraptor 700c tires.
Alex TD29 (Disc specific) rims laced 3x (w/ DT Swiss AlpineIII
spokes) onto Surly New Disc SS Hubs.
I have not beem able to taco even tweak them slightly. They have
proven to be very stout wheels.
29"er tubes can be hard to ind so I just stretched out my old 26"
Hutchison DH tubes to fit and they work great(so far)

http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/29er/muddyVanD.jpg

--
ITSN Gunterman USN
Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of all who threaten it.

Old January 5th 05, 04:50 PM

http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/29er/muddyVanD.jpg

Hmmm... muddy wheels, no evidence of mud on the bike.
Are you using that spray-on stuff again, John?

/s

Old January 5th 05, 05:02 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/29er/muddyVanD.jpg

Hmmm... muddy wheels, no evidence of mud on the bike.
Are you using that spray-on stuff again, John?

/s

Nope - he's just that ridiculously slow!
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old January 6th 05, 12:33 AM
pauly

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 05:55:52 -0800, J G wrote
(in article et):

"Zilla" wrote
pauly wrote:
[...]

Nice looking bike. What fork are you using? I can't tell from the picture.
What are the main differences in handling between the Van Dessel and your
Redline? I'm very close to having a 29" frame built, but I'm a little
nervous about spending that much cash on a bike.

Paul

Old January 6th 05, 01:35 AM
J G

"pauly" wrote
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/29er/muddyVanD.jpg

Nice looking bike.

The orange is FUgly but I'll live.

What fork are you using?

Marzocchi MX-Comp

What are the main differences in handling between the Van Dessel and

your
Redline?

Like graduating from a tricycle to a BigWheel,
or a BMX to a 26" ... it just feels "right", ya know

--
yeah.

Old January 6th 05, 01:36 AM
J G

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote
wrote:
http://www.shavings.net/images/bikes/29er/muddyVanD.jpg

Hmmm... muddy wheels, no evidence of mud on the bike.
Are you using that spray-on stuff again, John?

/s

Nope - he's just that ridiculously slow!

And your point is?????

Old January 6th 05, 02:19 AM
Bill Sornson

J G wrote:

Like graduating from a tricycle to a BigWheel,
or a BMX to a 26" ... it just feels "right", ya know

Speaking of feeling right, ya know, all that grade-a pron I've been sending
you has bounced back, John. I'm choosing to not take it personally...

Pusher Bill

Old January 6th 05, 10:29 PM

I've washed my bike 4 days so far this week and it isn't
over yet. More wet to come Friday and Saturday. That 29er needs a
shower.