Ever think abt giving bicycling up?

Old July 10th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Ever think abt giving bicycling up?

Give it up cause its become TOO equipment oriented?

Too dangerous on the streets?

Maybe sell all bike equip and take up hiking and
backpacking?
Old July 10th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
NY Rides

Give it up cause its become TOO equipment oriented?

IT doesn't become too equipment-oriented. PEOPLE do. You have a choice
about whether to give in to that way of thinking. I've been riding the same
$300 GT Outpost mountain bike for ten years. It has taken me thousands and
thousands of miles, through many different states and countries. I've kept
up the maintenance over the years, but I've never upgraded the components or
added any fancy gear to it. I also rode in denim cutoffs and a t-shirt for
my first five years of cycling as an adult, switching to $39 padded shorts
only when I realized I didn't have to whine about a sore ass after every
ride. I still ride in a t-shirt, usually a torn one. And my helmet is a
$45 Bell model.

The point I'm making is that you, and only you, have the decision about
whether to spend your time drooling over the gear they fill the pages of
Bicycling Magazine with -- or getting your butt on the saddle and riding the
sh-t out of what you've got. (Continued below, if you haven't had enough)

Too dangerous on the streets?

I think we bicyclists have a long way to go before we can be so arrogant as
to declare that the streets are too dangerous. That's not a direct attack
on you, by the way. There seems to be a prevailing attitude among
bicyclists that the streets are too dangerous because of the cars and
drivers out there. I think we need car-friendly bicyclists as much as we
need bicycle-friendly drivers. When cyclists stop running red lights,
crossing at pedestrian crosswalks, riding on the wrong side of the road, and
doing other stupid things to confuse drivers and keep them guessing as to
the predictability of our behavior, the streets will be much safer. Until
then, we can't claim the luxury of blaming everything on automobile drivers.
(Continued below, if you STILL haven't had enough)

Maybe sell all bike equip and take up hiking and backpacking?

I've found walking to be a cool alternative to cycling, especially during
the cold weather months. But, just like I've learned not to build my life
around the latest frame alloy or the newest energy drink, I've learned that
I don't have to fall into any particular category (i.e "bicyclist,"
"jogger," "backpacker"). You can do ALL these things and you can choose
when you want to do them. Bike only on traffic-free rail trails if you want
to. Walk to town to buy the newspaper. Hike in places that bicycles can't
go. It's still an awesome country we have here, so enjoy it before
stupidity and locker room politics bring it all to an end.

In all seriousness, you sound like you're just a little burned out on an
activity that probably started out being the be-all and end-all of your
life. I've been through that phase several times and I've put the bike away
for weeks or months at a time. In the end, I return to it and feel great
about it all over again. Don't get caught up in black and white. Sometimes
gray is a good thing.

Old July 10th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Dougii

NY Rides wrote:
Give it up cause its become TOO equipment oriented?

IT doesn't become too equipment-oriented. PEOPLE do. You have a choice
about whether to give in to that way of thinking. I've been riding the same
$300 GT Outpost mountain bike for ten years.

I recently started to ride again. Probably the most serious I have been
about it ever. A few years ago I bought a nice bike and plan to ride it
as much as I can. Its great if you have three or four bikes, but I have
trouble at this point rationalizing the space and time it would take to
maintain and store more than the one bike I have. I currently ride the
9 km to work and enjoy it. I plan to longer rides this summer, but
nothing too serious. I want to enjoy my time on the bike.

So today, I have a one bike policy.

Too dangerous on the streets?

I think we need car-friendly bicyclists as much as we
need bicycle-friendly drivers. When cyclists stop running red lights,
crossing at pedestrian crosswalks, riding on the wrong side of the road, and
doing other stupid things to confuse drivers and keep them guessing as to
the predictability of our behavior, the streets will be much safer.

Yep. On the up side. I have noticed that many cyclists are following
the rules of the road. At least more than earlier in the summer.

Old July 10th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

"Dougii" wrote:

So today, I have a one bike policy.

So what type bike did you keep as your only bike?

Touring bike? Road bike?
Old July 11th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Mike Kruger

wrote in message
Give it up cause its become TOO equipment oriented?

Too dangerous on the streets?

Maybe sell all bike equip and take up hiking and
backpacking?

Give up bicycling because it's TOO equipment oriented, and take up
backpacking?

Backpackers seem far more obsessed with weight than recreational cyclists.
This makes sense, as the weight is on you rather than on the tires, but it
gets expensive (and VERY tiresome to listen to).