Cyclist arrested for taking the lane

Old February 16th 04, 05:15 AM
Mitch Haley

Default Cyclist arrested for taking the lane

onefred wrote:
Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin
pistol??? That's CRAZY!

What's crazy about it?
Bike cops do it every day, are they "CRAZY"?
Old February 16th 04, 11:01 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:34:19 -0600 in rec.bicycles.soc, "onefred"
wrote:

Hey guys, first tell me what kind of person rides his bicycle with a friggin
pistol??? That's CRAZY!

why would you say that? in many parts of the country, it's
perfectly legal. in some parts of some cities, it's probably
smart to do so.

Old February 19th 04, 06:23 PM
Tommy Cheatham

Doug Huffman wrote:

I ANAL I am not a lawyer.

I am an armed bicyclist and have CCW for more than four years (just renewed
my permit).

I've got a CCW too, but quick question... how do you carry while
riding? The easiest way to me seems like it would be small of the back,
but then it seems it would be harder to conceal since you lean over the
bike.

Before I start any serious road riding, I'd definitely like to figure
this out, since I'll be riding back roads in KY.
Old February 19th 04, 06:29 PM
Tommy Cheatham

Bill Z. wrote:

Hopefully if the gun were actually used, it would be to shoot out the
tires so the cyclist could get away safely without having to shoot the
drunks.

Tires are not terribly easy to hit. If a group of people are attacking
you, it is considered a deadly attack and you have the right to respond
in kind (according to KY law, anyway, it likely varies in other area).

If you take a gun along, you can't afford to let a group of
drunks take it from you, and might have to use it to stop them from
doing that.

The interesting thing about having a gun is that the barrel is usually
aimed toward the people who would take it. If you aren't prepared to
use it, don't carry it or draw it. Just because you have one with you
doesn't mean you need to pull it out in every situation, either.

You should carefully evaluate that possibility before
deciding to bring one along - going through some contingency planning
might very well convince you that carrying a weapon isn't worth it.

I would say that me surviving is "worth it". Contingency planning
should include training. No one should carry who isn't familiar with
the use of a firearm and practiced with using it.
Old February 19th 04, 11:23 PM
Dane Jackson

Tommy Cheatham wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:

I ANAL I am not a lawyer.

I am an armed bicyclist and have CCW for more than four years (just renewed
my permit).

I've got a CCW too, but quick question... how do you carry while
riding? The easiest way to me seems like it would be small of the back,
but then it seems it would be harder to conceal since you lean over the
bike.

Before I start any serious road riding, I'd definitely like to figure
this out, since I'll be riding back roads in KY.

I would think a frame bag would do, something maybe that looks like this:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...ype=&estoreid=

http://tinyurl.com/3das6

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough
Old February 21st 04, 01:25 AM
Tommy Cheatham

Dane Jackson wrote:
I would think a frame bag would do, something maybe that looks like this:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?s...ype=&estoreid=

Yeah, it probably would, but I'd rather actually keep it ON me. If I'm
going to assume that something bad might hppen, I'm also going to assume
that something bad might happen and separate me from the bike.

not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
An update: building awareness of cycling issues Jem Berkes General 85 December 19th 03 07:27 PM
Ran over my first "cyclist" today. Buck General 52 September 23rd 03 08:50 PM
"Debris in the Bike Lane" MY ASS! Top Sirloin Racing 31 September 23rd 03 01:33 PM