WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE

Old April 26th 09, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_3_]

Default MTB Shifters

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
whenever yawl stop suking on this asshole let me know the procedure
for setting MTB shifters

Look for a pair of better quality used of NOS Shimano or Suntour
friction thumb-shifters.

Or if you can afford the "freight", get bar-end shifters and Paul's
Thumbies™: http://www.paulcomp.com/mtthumbie.html.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old April 26th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Apr 25, 9:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

whenever yawl stop suking on this asshole let me know the procedure
for setting MTB shifters

Look for a pair of better quality used of NOS Shimano or Suntour
friction thumb-shifters.

Or if you can afford the "freight", get bar-end shifters and Paul's
Thumbies™: http://www.paulcomp.com/mtthumbie.html.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

bought shimano 748 for 8 speeds
the front shifter doesn't shift but once and only half the necessary
distance.
what's the cable setup ?
trouble shooting procedure ?
before answering, imagine you are drinking cold laffite on a terrace
overlooking the portugese atlantic.....
Old April 26th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE

Andre Jute wrote:
On Apr 25, 2:17�pm, jim beam wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Apr 25, 4:35 am, jim beam wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Apr 25, 4:05 am, jim beam wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
I have two aliminium bikes which are both eminently satisfactory
except for one detail: the welding on one is ugly
that's an ignorant jobstian bull**** excuse. if the mechanicals are
good and the microstructure good, that's all that matters to your
ability to ride the damned thing.
How it it "ignorant" to demand aesthetic satisfaction from the
artifacts one owns. Stop blustering, Jimbo; it makes you sound like a
troll. A Ford gets you there. A Bentley gets you there with a smile on
your face.
it's attributing more value to the aesthetics than the tech, that's why.
tech news group, remember?
What, you can only post here if you use exclusive ugly gear? Wakey,
wakey, Jumbo, half or more the bikes in America are sold for people to
look cool on, not for an functional or technical superiority.

how the **** would you know? �just because a few whiners on r.b.t bleat
about bikes that cost more then $500? �just like they whine about their
fictional "brittleness" of cfrp when in fact, they're really bitching
because they can't afford it?

Original text, in case you want to know, dealt with value for money
and pedigree in steel bikes:
snip more steel blathering
andre, examine the facts associated with the following:
corrosion
price
stiffness
weight
Yes, but since my steel bike is vastly overspecified

translation: "overpriced".

You don't know what I paid for it, Jumbo. But I feel I got value for
every penny, and that's what matters.

of course you did andre. of course you did.

for any demand I
will ever place on it in service, the parameters are quite irrelevant.
My technical interest is in the gearboxes and the tyres, and it is
notable that my steel bike is lighter than two ali bikes I have with
roughly the same spec (hub gearboxes, hub dynamoes, full touring/city
gear). I find both ali and steel frames satisfactory, but steel more
so for inexpressible reasons as well as those inherent in the design
differences between the bikes.

give us a break andre.

I'm serious. You and I are generally on the same side on materials
properties and uses. But I have vast experience of discriminating
matters of taste from strict engineering, and you should give me a
break there if you expect a break on materials science.

oh ****, there you go again. "discriminating taste" is just an excuse
for willful ignorance.

now quitcher bitchin.
Eh, you're changing side are you? You now reckon that complaining
about excessive Waterford pricing is "bitching". Make up your mind,
Jumbo. (Nah, don't bother. I'm just trolling you. I know you wouldn't
waste Waterford money on a mere bike, even a carbon one.)
Andre Jute
�Carpals of iron. IRON! I tell you. -- Ron Bales on Andre Jute

i'm all about having you quit your incessant trolling. �see above.

You're two bellylaughs and a hamburger patty short of sense of humour,
my man. But never mind. Just laugh at every third sentence of mine and
no one will notice your handicap.

i have no sense of humor andre. none. that's why i'm on a ****ing TECH
newsgroup. /you/ are the oddball regarding intent here, not me.

Andre Jute
A roadie in full fig, arse in the air, is a visual incitement to
"pour encourager les autres"

"pour antagoniser les freds" more like.
Old April 26th 09, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default WHY AN ANDRE JUTE POST IS A JOKE

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
Dan O wrote:

On Apr 24, 7:35 pm, jim beam wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Andrew Muzi wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE An investigation consequent on
being hounded by American roadies by Andre Jute
Last year when I was shopping for a low stepover bike, Tom
Sherman and other Americans, touting for business for their own
industry, suggested I look at Waterford Cycles' Godiva model:
http://waterfordbikes.com/now/models.php?Model=655 I looked,
shuddered but said thanks politely, and moved on,
eventually buying a German/Dutch crossframe mixte design with
historic roots. [...]
Godiva? Way too complex. Nice clean Waterford open track frame:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdopen.html
Since you don't get it,you may as well not get it in a
seductively pretty format with polished stainless lugwork.
YMMV.
What am I missing here? How is the Godiva more complex, other
than cable guide braze-ons?
For value, I think this is much better:
http://www.gunnarbikes.com/crosshairs.php. $1150 for a custom
geometry frame.
what's with this ridiculous steel obsession? this group has been
grossly infected recently it seems.

I wouldn't mind trying an aluminum frame, and when hunting around
e.g. Craigslist I do keep an eye open for Cannondale and Klein and
the like; but since I started out acquiring older, used (more
affordable) bicycles, I have a bunch of gear now for 126 mm rear
dropout spacing, and most of the quality frames available for this
gear just happens to be made of steel.

typically, aluminum is:

cheaper
stiffer - and thus more sable for non-freds

"Sable?"

lighter
more corrosion resistant.

less durable
less easily repaired

is there some kind of myopia/ignorance-of-the-facts virus i've been
missing out on?

Nope, you're definitely infected.

Aluminum can be a fine material with which to make a bike frame. And it
can be a poor choice, as I am sure you already know.

you're such a ****ing retard timmy, i can't even be bothered to put your
dumb ass straight. and not only are you ****ing retarded, you're BORING
and ****ing retarded.
Old April 26th 09, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Apr 24, 7:45*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE
[drivelsnip]

No, a Waterford is a work of art made by craftsmen. They are very
pretty and that's why, if you have a couple grand burning a hole in
your pocket, and love bicycles, you should buy one. If indeed it's the
bike your heart desires. They do seem a few hundred bux overpriced to
me--but whadda I know? That might be due to fancy dropouts or laquer
or something I'm missing. People spend more on Harley farts.

It is not a custom frame unless you consult in person with
a master frame maker. He talks with you, watches you ride,
then builds the exact frame that you need. Mailing in dimensions
is just that.

--
Michael Press
Old April 26th 09, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

bah
Old April 26th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RonSonic

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:23:06 -0700 (PDT), datakoll wrote:

On Apr 25, 9:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

whenever yawl stop suking on this asshole let me know the procedure
for setting MTB shifters

Look for a pair of better quality used of NOS Shimano or Suntour
friction thumb-shifters.

Or if you can afford the "freight", get bar-end shifters and Paul's
Thumbies™: http://www.paulcomp.com/mtthumbie.html.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

bought shimano 748 for 8 speeds
the front shifter doesn't shift but once and only half the necessary
distance.
what's the cable setup ?
trouble shooting procedure ?
before answering, imagine you are drinking cold laffite on a terrace
overlooking the portugese atlantic.....

eyeball limit screws on der
drop shifter to most relaxed position
might have to have cable in shifter and give a bit of tension
set barrel screws to mid-ish
run cable to der
pull out slack and only slack
bolt it down.
should be close enough to dial in
Old April 26th 09, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,
Dan O wrote:

[...]
cheaper
stiffer - and thus more sable for non-freds

"Sable?"
[...]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Sable_bull.jpg

Sable bull. Thanks, that clears it up.
Old April 26th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Apr 24, 7:45*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE [drivelsnip]

No, a Waterford is a work of art made by craftsmen. They are very
pretty and that's why, if you have a couple grand burning a hole in
your pocket, and love bicycles, you should buy one. If indeed it's
the bike your heart desires. They do seem a few hundred bux
overpriced to me--but whadda I know? That might be due to fancy
dropouts or laquer or something I'm missing. People spend more on
Harley farts.

It is not a custom frame unless you consult in person with a master
frame maker. He talks with you, watches you ride, then builds the
exact frame that you need. Mailing in dimensions is just that.

How about if you consult with a non-master framebuilder? ;-)
Old April 26th 09, 08:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default Custom frames

In article ,
Tim McNamara wrote:

In article ,
Michael Press wrote:

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Apr 24, 7:45*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
WHY A WATERFORD BIKE IS A JOKE [drivelsnip]

No, a Waterford is a work of art made by craftsmen. They are very
pretty and that's why, if you have a couple grand burning a hole in
your pocket, and love bicycles, you should buy one. If indeed it's
the bike your heart desires. They do seem a few hundred bux
overpriced to me--but whadda I know? That might be due to fancy
dropouts or laquer or something I'm missing. People spend more on
Harley farts.

It is not a custom frame unless you consult in person with a master
frame maker. He talks with you, watches you ride, then builds the
exact frame that you need. Mailing in dimensions is just that.

How about if you consult with a non-master framebuilder? ;-)

What do you think? The idea is to hire the best advice
you can if you want a custom frame. Otherwise it is
semi-custom.

--
Michael Press

bike joke Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1058_] General 0 August 29th 07 04:27 AM
bike joke smn General 7 August 24th 07 07:57 PM
A bike related joke Craig Brossman Mountain Biking 10 March 26th 06 12:59 PM
FA: Last 4 Hours: Waterford 18" Mountain Bike Currently Only $455 LR Marketplace 0 November 3rd 04 11:32 PM
FA: 18" Waterford Mountain Bike LR Marketplace 0 October 28th 04 11:49 PM