BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without number plates

Old September 26th 18, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without numberplates

On 9/26/2018 5:11 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 12:06:43 PM UTC-4, Radey Shouman wrote:
Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south
London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes.

Teachers at Stanley Park High, in Carshalton, are introducing the scheme
so members of the public can report pupils cycling dangerously.

The secondary school said the main aim was to keep children safe.

Charity Cycling UK questioned why Stanley Park High "want to make
cycling to school more difficult".

On the school's website, head teacher Amit Amin wrote: "All students who
cycle to school will be required to display a school-issued bicycle
number plate when riding to and from school.

"Students without a number plate will not be permitted to cycle to
school, or lock their bicycles on school grounds."

Mr Amin said the measure was in response to incidents of children
cycling in a way that "endangers themselves and others".

-----------------%------------------
more at https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-45636870

--

In the U.S.A. there are schools that have prohibited children from riding bicycles to school at all.

For example: https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2001...g-to-school-2/

Part but certainly not all of the problem comes from the practice of
siting schools on big campuses located away from town centers, on former
rural roads. Land is cheaper there, so they can build sprawling
one-story schools that are less expensive to construct.

Our school board recently proposed a new tax levy to allow tearing down
two schools in historic buildings within village limits and building a
new "campus" three miles from town. Kids have sidewalks and walking
paths to the existing schools. They'd all have to be bused to the new place.

The community rose up and defeated the proposed levy. I believe it's the
first time a school levy was defeated here.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

news18 writes:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 09:55:59 -0400, Radey Shouman wrote:

news18 writes:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:22:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Kids, keep busy swapping those plates,

The details of the plates would be interesting, aka how easy to
counterfeit or collect a set of snazzy/cool/wicked/whatever sayings.

Some towns in my vicinity issued bicycle plates quite a while ago
(1950s?). They are now collectors' items, albeit not worth a great
deal. I still have a sticker on the down tube of my bicycle issued by
the University of Texas in the 1980s, as I recall they threatened to
remove any bicycles locked on campus without one, it was promulgated as
an anti-theft measure.

Fat lot of good a sticker would have done at my university during the
70's, The thieves were reported as driving around with a truck and a
big pair of bolt cutters. No fancy U bolts then. Case hardened chain if
you didn't mind the weight.

I'm reasonably sure it didn't do any good at mine either.

As I mentioned in another post, when I had some mods on a new frame, it
got the worst paint job a gungy brush could give. They ignored it and
targetted the "new bikes".

Old September 27th 18, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 03:36:49 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:22:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Kids, keep busy swapping those plates,

The details of the plates would be interesting, aka how easy to
counterfeit or collect a set of snazzy/cool/wicked/whatever sayings.

We didn't have bicycle license plates in Smog Angeles. We had decals
and stickers, which didn't do anything useful or important. At one
point in High Skool, they were made optional probably because the
bicycle license plate program cost too much to administer. What
plates there were soon disappeared because they were in the way of
carrying boxes or bags of junk on the bicycle.

Lots of plates to choose from including personalized:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+license+plates&tbm=isch

One nice thing about having a bicycle license plate is that quickly
ends arguments as to whether bicycles have an equal right to the road.
With a state issued bicycle registration and licence plate, one can
claim equality with automobiles.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 27th 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 14:48:45 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

Case hardened chain if
you didn't mind the weight.

Late last century, the fence in front of the library at the State
University of New York at Albany was festooned with chains.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com

Old September 27th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/26/2018 10:23 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

One nice thing about having a bicycle license plate is that quickly
ends arguments as to whether bicycles have an equal right to the road.
With a state issued bicycle registration and licence plate, one can
claim equality with automobiles.

I claim equality with automobile drivers by citing the law. Amazingly,
telling them the state code number has worked several times, almost like
magic. The last guy said "Oh, I didn't know that. I'm sorry, sir."

It doesn't always work, of course. A couple encounters have led to
shouting matches; but when that's happened, I've said "Let's call the
police! Let's get them right here right now!" Those guys haven't gotten
any smarter, but they have backed down.

Understand, these problems are vanishingly rare for me. Almost all
motorists treat me just fine.

Oh, and it's good to keep in mind that motorist aggression isn't just a
car vs. bike thing. Last night on a freeway drive, I was in the left
lane passing a slower car. A tractor-trailer driver swung out behind me
when I was just inches past the car's rear bumper, then turned on his
bright headlights because he apparently wanted me to pass faster.

I did what I usually do with tailgaters: I slowed down a bit, because I
don't believe in rewarding bad behavior. So I added maybe 30 seconds to
his travel time. But when he did pass me, he deliberately swerved a bit
into my lane.

There are bullies out there.

--
- Frank Krygowski

If only they had number plates Simon Jester UK 1 November 10th 17 05:01 PM
Dulwich Bans Children from Cycling to School Peter Parry UK 68 July 8th 10 08:09 PM
Number-of-kids-cycling-to-school-doubles Tony Raven[_2_] UK 3 April 30th 09 01:31 PM
Number Plates? permajeo UK 15 September 20th 06 06:23 PM
Cycling number plates. Oscar Australia 9 February 11th 05 12:29 AM