Dropper posts for every bike?

Old December 5th 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Default Dropper posts for every bike?

wrote:
On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 11:11:50 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 23:13:14 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 12:44:11 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 14:03:33 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 6:14:34 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/3/2019 5:54 AM, Duane wrote:

I used DT friction shifters for years. I can’t imagine anyone preferring
them over brifters but whatever floats their boat.

Like Eddie Merckx said (paraphrasing) it doesn’t matter how long or short
you ride. Or how fast or slow. Just ride. I would also add, and STFU
criticizing other riders preferences.

Oh, good grief!

As I've said dozens of times: This is a _discussion_ group. We discuss
things. If you're so insecure that you can't tolerate any disagreement
with your choices, why would you enter a discussion about your choices?

Furthermore, if you pretend instead to defend _others'_ free choices,
perhaps you should stop sniping at only those who differ from you.

Contrary to certain posters' whining, I don't say "You shouldn't use
[whatever] equipment." But I do frequently point out that for much
equipment, the near-magical claims are exaggerated, or irrelevant to
most people's riding.

And I think I have a tendency to quantify things. Quantification
shouldn't be sneered at in a "tech" group.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Wow, wow. Frank you started this thread. Read your first post. What
was your intention when you wrote
'If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite. '? Trying to be funny? What did you
quantify? In my world it is a silly insinuation.

Lou

I won't comment on Franks intent but read the resulting answers. It
appears that without, at the minimum, STI brake-shifters it is nearly
impossible to enjoy riding a bicycle these days.

No one said that only that it makes a ride more pleasant or more safe
in some situation (of road on slippery, bumpy and twisting single track for instance)

Has cycling been reduced to a dollars and cents level where riding a
$4,000 bicycle (as one poster has frequently mentioned) results in a
more enjoyable ride?

For some it does for some it doesn't. Lets talk about what people spend
on cars, clothes, houses, gardens etc.

Yes, of course. After all buying a big car certainly shows the world
just how big a man you are.... even though you paid a dollar down and
a dollar a week for the rest of your life. And of course, the neighbor
who bought that little imported car for cash is demonstrating just how
insignificant he is.

--
cheers,

John B.

If that what comes to your mind first when you meet people that have a more
expensive/bigger house, car or whatever I pity you. Try to be happy for
them it makes you a nicer person. A mercedes/audi are really nice cars
to drive, a nice garden is really pretty to look at.

Lou

+1

Old December 5th 19, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

There aren’t enough people around who understand Maslow’s hierarchy of
needs and how that applies to disposable income.

Old December 5th 19, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

But there are people around who'll ridicule other people's choices and then try to pass off that ridicule as discussion or being misinterpreted. A better descriptor is Troll.

Cheers
Old December 5th 19, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 00:52:50 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The interpretation of "disposable income" appears to be, "The money
you have left over from your salary after you've paid federal, state,
and local taxes".
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-d...income-4156858
I had always assumed that it meant after taxes, food and lodging, and
perhaps children's essentials, if any.

But to live in accord with Maslow one must only buy that bottle of
peanut butter, a loaf of Wonder Bread and a padlock for the door(s)
and quit beating your wife. The rest of the money can go for the down
payment on the new Mercedes.

Hooray, Hooray, look at me everybody, I got a Merkadese in my drive
(I'll buy the gas next payday )

And of course, washing and waxing the new car fulfils my
self-fulfillment needs so there you have it. 100% in accordance with
the Maslow rules :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 19, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Well, I suppose that "troll" is a good description, or at least a very
convenient one, for anyone that doesn't agree with you.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 19, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

jbeattie writes:

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 8:20:52 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 12/4/2019 7:25 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

WTF? Even if I had some uber-bike, I don't think most of the
world would know or care. It's not like having a Ferrari in the
driveway. I don't have discs on my commuter because they're a
status symbol or attract chicks. I didn't get them as part of a
mid-life crisis. I just like the way they stop.

What? Are you trying to say that women in Portland aren't more attracted
to men that have bicycles with disc brakes versus men with bicycles that
have rim brakes or drum brakes? Do you have any cites or references for
your claim?

My wife got really upset when I put disc brakes on my mountain bike,
claiming that I must be planning something nefarious. I had to go out
and buy her a mountain bike with disc brakes just to even things out.

Attracting chicks would require a trailer with a puppy in it -- or
better yet, a 10 foot long cargo bike with a front carrier with two
puppies in it. I bet this guy is a total chick magnet:
https://media.treehugger.com/assets/...-Noordwijk.jpg
If I were trolling chicks with my super-cute puppies, I'd definitely
go with the eBike version so I could catch the fit chicks.

In pulling chicks as in other pursuits, one needs a horse to suit the
course. I submit this ad pilfered from the best of craigslist:

Originally Posted: 2010-03-01

Stately Dutch MILF Magnet

This is a Batavus "PERSONAL" delivery bike. It's black, has one
speed, a coaster brake, a kick stand, chain case, racks, and a
dynamo lighting system. I discovered it in the basement of the
Smith and Butler boutique in Carrol Gardens last October.

I am selling this bicycle because my therapist suggested I need to
come to terms with my attraction to african-american women. No
sister is going to date a 34 year old systems administrator riding
a european grocery bike. However, when I would cruise slowly down
Park Slope's fifth avenue, panties would literally fly off of every
white or asian woman with a stroller and a master's degree.

I live in Williamsburg now and the bike confuses most of the women
here. If I grow my moustache out a little and explain it only has
one speed "like a fixie" I can sometimes get to second base. But
for the most part I might as well have a soul patch and collect
classic cameras. If you want to get some action I'd only take this
baby out south of Atlantic Avenue.

Spring is coming and if you like flat-assed waspy moms who went to
Vassar, this is the ride you need.

$300 O.B.O.

Location: Williamsburg

Speaking of puppies (of which there are too many), people of modest
means may spend more on a puppy than a decent
bike. https://thehappypuppysite.com/how-mu...-a-puppy-cost/

Just wait until that hound shuffles off this mortal coil, and the vet
needs to sell you incin^H^H^H^H^Hcremation services before administering
the final shot.
Old December 5th 19, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

WTF? We're talking about bikes here and not $70K luxury cars. Knock yourself out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm $2,500 USD with discs and Di2.

That's not sock drawer or penny jar money, but its hardly conspicuous consumption. And I'm not saying that you have to buy that bike. It's just offered as an example of a Di2 bike with discs that is relatively cheap. Relatively. Again, you may think $2,500 USD is too much for any bike. I don't.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 5th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In 1985 or 1986 I bought a MIELE EUIPE PRO Comumbus SL frameset Dura Ace equipped bicycle for $1,500.00. According to https://www.in2013dollars.com/1986-d...18?amount=1500 that amount now would be $3,436.68 in 2018.. When I bought my bike it was a fair bit of money but still not nearly top of the line for bicycle prices.

When it comes to lower end bicycles I think that today's bicycles have a lot more value for an equivalent price. we now have things like index shifting even on very inexpensive bicycles. Whereas in 1986 index shifting was only on top of the line bikes.

If someone has the money today and wants to buy a very expensive bike to ride or even to hang on the wall, then that's entirely up to them. Some people like high end bicycles STRICTLY for their aesthetics and might enjoy that bike as wall art or even riding it to a neighbourhood coffee shop. It's their money and no one really has the right to tell them they're foolish for spending that money on a bicycle.

Cheers
Old December 5th 19, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/4/2019 5:22 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/4/2019 4:12 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Andrew had an excellent tale bookmarked, a guy selling a
Campy bottom bracket by telling how it would make you
irresistible to the ladies.

When sending out a particularly beautiful Gunnar:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/gun0907a.jpg

I flippantly said, "Pretty bike, it's a chick magnet."

email from customer:
"Gunnar First Ride Report:
I got a ride in before the rain hit and it was AWESOME. Thank you so
much for guiding me through the process of getting this bike.
Brian
PS Andy was right apparently, it's a chick magnet. At a stop light on my
way home with it on top of my car, a woman rolled her window down and
chatted me up about the bike. Then asked if I'd want to take a ride
sometime and gave me her phone number?!?!!?!?!!!!"

I've told this before, but: Maybe 5 years ago I built up a nice, custom
Reynolds 531 frame into a 3 speed about-town bike. I used almost
entirely parts I had in my junk boxes. I did spend $7 for a set of alloy
upright handlebars, and a few bucks at Staples for a chrome desktop wire
basket, which I zip-tied onto my front Blackburn rack. That's where
packages go.

Anyway, not long after the bike was completed, I was riding it home from
the library. A gaggle of teenage girls on the sidewalk shouted "We like
your bike!" Then one of them said "It's sexy!"

I have no explanation for that.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 5th 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/4/2019 9:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I agree with all that, and I think I've said so. I'm not aware of anyone
saying that anyone else should not buy what they want.

But that's a separate issue from whether the benefits of some currently
fashionable technology are worth the trouble or the cost to most
cyclists. Or even to most cycling enthusiasts. Or to me.

I get that we have different priorities and tastes. I admit to my fetish
for longevity and repairability. I understand that others wouldn't care
if the software to fine tune their electronic shifting can't work with
Windows 16, or their trick bottom bracket's parts are no longer
available, or their disc brake maker went out of business and pads are
no longer available.

We should be able to discuss benefits and detriments. Brifters mean you
don't have to move your hand to shift (unless you're riding the tops)?
Fine, if you hate moving your hands. Discs stop you better on your
hilly, rainy commute? Great, if that's your riding condition.

But there's plenty of magical marketing out there, promising amazing
benefits from yet another incompatible bottom bracket standard, tubeless
tires, new shapes in frame tubes, yet another rear cog, different tooth
numbers on front chainrings (down to zero), different pedal designs, new
shapes for chainrings, etc. And yet people's riding experience is much
the same as it always was.

And I can't even remember what were the purported benefits of electronic
shifting.

--
- Frank Krygowski