Cycling is cool - Times

Old November 15th 05, 07:25 PM

Default Cycling is cool - Times

Article by music journo Robert Elms on why cycling is cool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...851583,00.html

Old November 15th 05, 07:41 PM
Clive George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Article by music journo Robert Elms on why cycling is cool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...851583,00.html

So, somebody who chose italian components coz they're chic can't even be
bothered to spell their name right :-(

And side rant - why is having a jacket that's only available in black a good
thing?

cheers,
clive

Old November 15th 05, 07:53 PM
John Hearns

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:25:58 -0800, wrote:

Article by music journo Robert Elms on why cycling is cool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...851583,00.html
On Radio London yesterday he was asking for listeners to phone in
with good cycling routes. I didn't catch much of that bit of the programme.
I would have suggested following the Thames Path from Tower Bridge, down
through Greenwich and to the Barrier. All locations mentioned by his
previous guest.
Old November 15th 05, 07:55 PM
Danny Colyer

Clive George wrote:
And side rant - why is having a jacket that's only available in black a good
thing?

I couldn't see where the journo claimed that it was.

Nice article BTW Simon, thanks for posting the link. Shame there's not
a better picture of the bike.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Old November 15th 05, 07:58 PM
John Hearns

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:25:58 -0800, wrote:

Article by music journo Robert Elms on why cycling is cool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...851583,00.html

Helen, I think you have a new fan he

"...if you want your nether regions to survive the ride, and the best ones
also come with a truly embarrassing bib and shoulder straps. You look like
a blobby Blondin with the family jewels on display"
Old November 15th 05, 07:59 PM
Clive George

"Danny Colyer" wrote in message
Clive George wrote:
And side rant - why is having a jacket that's only available in black a
good thing?

I couldn't see where the journo claimed that it was.

He didn't - that's why it was a side rant. OTOH he did recommend it as the
thing to wear on your bike - which for a piece of kit designed to be used in
crap weather conditions is a bit wrong IMO. I have emailed the
manufacturers, but don't expect anything to come of it.

cheers,
clive

Old November 15th 05, 08:00 PM
wafflycat

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:25:58 -0800, wrote:

Article by music journo Robert Elms on why cycling is cool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...851583,00.html

Helen, I think you have a new fan he

"...if you want your nether regions to survive the ride, and the best ones
also come with a truly embarrassing bib and shoulder straps. You look like
a blobby Blondin with the family jewels on display"

Sounds like he's made a feeble attempt to get out of a slabbing more like
;-)

PSF...

Old November 15th 05, 08:08 PM
Mo Saycool

"Clive George" wrote in message
[snip]
So, somebody who chose italian components coz they're chic can't even be
bothered to spell their name right :-(

And side rant - why is having a jacket that's only available in black a
good thing?

Fair enough. It's not perfect, but the article still manages to communicate
the attraction of our chosen sport very well. If it encourages a few more
people onto their bikes, I certainly wouldn't complain. Having rediscovered
cycling myself this summer after a 3-year absence, I can certainly identify
with the author.

Old November 15th 05, 08:23 PM

Here are a few mo

Woman learns how to ride a bike for the first time.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...835183,00.html

Scheme to help employees get fitter.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...868911,00.html

Cycling is the new cool.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1637224,00.html

BTW - got your photo off the TV back from the photo lab (still using
steam film here) Will put them up tomorrow.
Simon

Old November 15th 05, 08:27 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

John Hearns typed

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:25:58 -0800, wrote:

Article by music journo Robert Elms on why cycling is cool.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...851583,00.html
On Radio London yesterday he was asking for listeners to phone in
with good cycling routes. I didn't catch much of that bit of the programme.
I would have suggested following the Thames Path from Tower Bridge, down
through Greenwich and to the Barrier. All locations mentioned by his
previous guest.

Robert Elms wrote 'The Way We Wore', which was recently serialised on
Radio 4. Seldom have I felt I really could not relate to things
described, even though they all sounded *so* familiar.

Turns out we were at the same school at almost exactly the same time; he
was in the year below me, but I never knew him.

If I can't relate to what he writes about cycling, I'm not surprised; I
was cycling in Burnt Oak in 1975 (and 2000).

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

OLN-TV cycling coverage gets even thinner! Steven L. Sheffield Racing 16 February 15th 05 03:18 AM
Saiz On Armstrong B. Lafferty Racing 25 July 4th 04 07:00 PM
Wachovia Cycling Series - Come meet the teams! Steve Marketplace 0 May 28th 04 02:46 PM
Even other sports giants have to admit cycling is cool... Mark Hickey General 6 August 14th 03 01:21 AM