Carbon Fiber wheels

Old November 23rd 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Carbon Fiber wheels

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 3:21:44 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 12:31:46 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/21/2018 10:45 AM, wrote:
On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 4:33:31 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 09:16:54 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 5:15:34 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 16:35:20 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 2:20:54 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/18/2018 4:06 PM,
wrote:
I bought a set of clincher carbon fiber wheels
-snip-
Chinese
-snip-
micky mouse operation
-snip-
AHHHHHHHHH SHOOT ME!

Not-China product; dependable, light, durable:
https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Technologies/2_way_fit

Andrew, I believe that all carbon wheels are constructed in China or Taiwan with the exception of the Campy Bell wheels. I do not know where they're made. But they are all made from the same pre-preg cloth from Japan.

Interesting as the U.S. makes as much carbon fiber as the next three
companies (Japan, China and Taiwan) combined.

John - that carbon fiber is used for making aircraft. What bicycles in the world do you believe to have been manufactured using American carbon fiber? There is a minute American CF industry outside of the aircraft industry.

Goodness! You mean that all the American companies that make carbon
fiber make airplanes?

What abut ZOLTEK, founded in 1975 in St. Louis, and lists their
products as being used in the: Automotive, Wind Energy, Friction
Resistance, Civil Engineering, Marine, Sporting Goods, 3D Printing,
Oil and Gas(off shore) Drilling, Pressure Vessels, and several other
fields.... not a mention of Aircraft.

Or are you wrong once again?

Exactly what proof did you provide that some American companies were making carbon wheels? Or is it your assumption that "sporting goods" means bicycle wheels?

one of several:
https://www.enve.com/en/why-enve/

Careful, Andrew, he'll be off to India next.

cheers,

John B.

John, on your brightest day you would make people wonder if you're a man or a dog.
Old November 23rd 18, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 1:31:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Andrew, those wheels retail for $2,900. On Ebay you can get them for about $1,400 and wonder if they are factory seconds.

A Chinese wheelset is available for $288. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lightweight...ltMg:rk:7:pf:0 (these are the same price from the same dealer with Clinchers available in Campy or Shimano. The lowest end Novotec hubs after a short wear-in period have to little friction that you can spin them and come back 5 minutes later and they are still turning.

If there were any American wheels anywhere in the same category I would be the first to buy them but there isn't. And I am suspicious of "American made" and then "DT Swiss Hubs" as well as really no mention of where the rims are made.

I see where they claim to make these in Ogden, Utah. They also claim to have molded spoke holes. I wonder what that means. Having exactly the same rim depth and exactly the same nipple depth would certainly make wheel construction a great deal easier. I'm still a bit confused why they same "Made in America" and then say they are DT Swiss.

Enve makes the rims in Ogden and strings them on DT hubs, or if you want all American, you can get King hubs made in Portland. Either one will give you the super-angry bees freehub -- the King more than the DT, though. I doubt they use American spokes, so some part of the wheel will be from another country.

Mavic's parent owns Enve, by the way.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 23rd 18, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

wrote:
[...]

Well, you were the one to first ,mention India. All I do is repeat
what you say and now you object to that...