A friendly wave

Old August 20th 04, 02:05 AM
Marlene Blanshay

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...
Chalo wrote:
Is this consistent with anyone else's experience?

Chalo, as a motorcyclist, you are probably familiar with the nod or wave
that occurs between motorcyclists. It's the sort of thing members of a
beleaguered social group do with each other -- a mutual, hang in there,
how's it going type recognition. Yet, how many times do motorcyclists nod

or
wave to bicyclists, and visa versa? I think it's the same thing going on
here. These people who are not nodding/waving do not consider themselves

be in the same social group as you.

I remember reading a book about women in pop culture, something like that,
and the author was mentioning how mothers often nod to each other in public
places, like the supermarket. I thought, gee, just like cyclists!

Incidentally, I find that out of all the people on the road, drivers that
is, motorcyclists are the least amount of trouble. I have never had a
motorcyclist, even the toughest looking ones on the biggest hogs, ever yell,
spit, curse swear or harrass me or my friends. In fact, they tend to give a
wide berth and often are friendly and even wave at us!

Old August 20th 04, 02:11 AM
Terry Morse

Chalo wrote:

To a one, those riders who seemed to ignore my greeting were Cycling
Enthusiasts in uniform-- wearing Lycra in colors not found in nature,
topped with styrofoam hats, riding road bikes of recent vintage and
uncomfortable-looking rider position. Along with their regalia they
wore expressions between serious and grim. They rode by, all of them,
as if they failed to notice the near-7-foot, near-400-pound guy on a
6-foot tall chopper waving to them as they passed.

Yet all the other folks on bikes (the ones wearing mostly real
clothes, regardless of the type of bike or speed with which they rode)
had some kind of acknowledging response, mostly very friendly.

Is this consistent with anyone else's experience?

Are folks who wear "Superduperbikeman" getups playing some character
role from which they fear to depart?

What's the deal?

I'm usually the first to wave to oncoming motorcycles, even though I
wear Lycra and oddly-colored jerseys, have a road bike, and ride in
a pretty spirited fashion. The folks on Harleys usually wave back,
the folks on sport bikes (aka crotch rockets) never do. Draw your
own conclusions.

But when I'm "on the rivet", or descending a twisty mountain road, I
don't wave. Just a little too busy at that point.
Old August 20th 04, 02:31 AM
Bill Baka

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:11:26 -0700, Terry Morse wrote:

Chalo wrote:

[...]

OK, I'll add my 2 cents to this. I always wave at Harleys and other
motorcycle types and they always wave back (the Harley types at least),
but then I ride in Levi type jeans and a ragged t-shirt.
None of that lycra stuff for me.
The Harley guys wave back and the pocket bikes usually don't. I used to
ride with the Harley crowd and they are a lot more sociable than they
get credit for, especially to another two wheel rider. What they would
do about some guy in lycra waving might be just to laugh, but then so
would I when I was on a big motorcycle.
On a bicycle I have been passed by 3 guys in lycra on road bikes an
they were too absorbed in themselves and their conversation to even wave
back. I know, they were training.?
Chalo, you are near 7 feet tall? I have a friend who is something over
6'9" and he makes even a motorcycle look small, and a big bicycle looks
puny with him on it. What do you ride? Post a picture for us.
Curious minds want to know.
Bill Baka

Old August 20th 04, 03:41 AM
dreaded

news

wrote:

Chalo wrote:

[...]

i hate to rant on the NG but Jeez, it's all about uniforms isnt it? and
colors (whether it be oily levis or yellow lycra). i wear what's comfortable
to train in and bright enough to be seen by those (maybe not paying
attention?). nobody ever waves to me, or, i didnt see them. im really just
trying to survive out there and get a workout in the process. do you wave
and say hi to everyone you pass on foot? i would love to tell everyone on
the road how nice it is to see them but frankly i'm busy and my heart rate
is going about 160. and no-i'm not a big fan of rec.bicycles.racing either.
i get very bored when people start going off on politics.
-alan

Old August 20th 04, 03:44 AM
Hijo de la Changa

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...

To a one, those riders who seemed to ignore my greeting were Cycling
Enthusiasts in uniform-- wearing Lycra in colors not found in nature,
topped with styrofoam hats, riding road bikes of recent vintage and
uncomfortable-looking rider position. Along with their regalia they
wore expressions between serious and grim.

Make a note to yourself to remember to use all five fingers next time you
wave at one of these guys.

Seriously, though, I offer a corollary to this. When I'm on my regular bike
(if you can consider a 68 cm frame "regular") I am routinely ignored by my
motorized two-wheeled brethren.

However, when I ride my V2 recombinant bike, which looks a bit like a
chopper, I get waved at all the time, even by the REAL Hawg riders.

Old August 20th 04, 03:44 AM
Hijo de la Changa

"foldedpath" wrote in message
. 97.142...

I hear that it's a good idea to just stop, and place your bike between
yourself and the threat. It would be tough for a group of skinny roadies
with ultralight carbon bikes to get past my 35 lb. steel commuter bike,
wielded as a shield or bludgeon.

I always threaten them with a Twinkie or something else with (gasp) FAT in
it.

Turns 'em around every time.

Old August 20th 04, 03:52 AM
Jean

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...

....snip

| Being in the habit of delivering the friendly wave at a second's
| notice, I often find myself waving to bicyclists when out riding my
| own bicycle.

....snip

| To a one, those riders who seemed to ignore my greeting were Cycling
| Enthusiasts in uniform-- wearing Lycra in colors not found in nature,
| topped with styrofoam hats, riding road bikes of recent vintage and
| uncomfortable-looking rider position. Along with their regalia they
| wore expressions between serious and grim. They rode by, all of them,
| as if they failed to notice the near-7-foot, near-400-pound guy on a
| 6-foot tall chopper waving to them as they passed.
|
| Yet all the other folks on bikes (the ones wearing mostly real
| clothes, regardless of the type of bike or speed with which they rode)
| had some kind of acknowledging response, mostly very friendly.
|
| Is this consistent with anyone else's experience?
|
| Are folks who wear "Superduperbikeman" getups playing some character
| role from which they fear to depart?
|
| What's the deal?
|
| Chalo Colina

My experience is the same as yours - racer wannabes almost always ignore me
and never wave, mountain bikers and "regular folks" nearly always say
'hello' in some manner. I've experienced the same thing when I've been
standing by the side of the road with a bike problem - racer wannabes
zipped on by, mountain bikers and "regular folks" asked if I needed help.

My guess as to the reason? Simple snobbery...

Jean

Old August 20th 04, 04:16 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Bill Baka" wrote in message news
but then I ride in Levi type jeans and a ragged t-shirt.
None of that lycra stuff for me.

Ok Bill, so life has dealt you a poor hand.

Look, the world is full of nobodies, it's asking a bit
much to expect guys like me to go around and wave/
smile/nod at you types.

Why get on the bike in the first place if you look so bad?
Cars were made for people like you.

Old August 20th 04, 04:36 AM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:36:16 GMT,
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

When you wave, and the other rider ignores you, it may mean that you look
like a yokel on your first ride.

Unless it's Wednesday.
Wednesdays are for waving.

When you're on your bike and it's Wednesday and you see somebody else
on their bike, you _must_ wave. A minimum of two full flaps or wags is
the rule.

Head nods, grunts or finger wiggles can find their own days.
--
zk