New to cycling

Old August 26th 04, 07:00 PM
the black rose

Mrs X wrote:
"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 02:35:11 GMT,
ink.net,
"mark" wrote:

If anything, I'd be tempted to do a splotch, squiggle and dab job with
a variety of bargin-bin metal-flake and pearlescent pink and red nail
polishes. Accentuate its flair. Make it an "art bike". Attach a
plastic flamingo and garlands of pink roses. Sing aloud. Send your
children into spasms. Be shunned in public by your mah-jong club.

OMG
She'd kill me!

All the more reason to do it. *huge grin*

-km, who loves embarrassing her teenagers

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old August 26th 04, 08:11 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:00:15 GMT,
, the black rose
wrote:

zk suggested
Attach a plastic flamingo and garlands of pink roses.

Mrs.X responded
OMG
She'd kill me!

All the more reason to do it. *huge grin*

-km, who loves embarrassing her teenagers

I know four women, who are all daily commuter and utility cyclists
riding as traffic, and they have said to me on different occasions
that flowers decorating their bikes seems to elicit kinder, gentler
behaviour from motorists.
FWIW
--
zk
Old August 26th 04, 09:17 PM
Actually34

Forget about the shame of your children and leave the bike a shocking pink. It
will save you the price of buying a padlock and the trouble of locking your
bike up.

As for the bell, you can buy one cheap at your local bike shop, although come
to think of it, shocking pink bikes might be exempt from the bell requirment in
some states.

You are going need a pump irrespective of the color of your bike, and mountain
bikes tend to have Schrader valves (the short valves) that standard bicycle
pumps tend to work on. You can buy pumps that fit either Schrader or Presta
(usually found on road and touring bikes) valve stems.

I'd strongly urge you to find a good bike shop where you often can get free
advice. Or, join a local bicycle club where there are a lot of knowledgeable
people to help you out and steer you in the right direction.

Ride on!

Old August 26th 04, 11:43 PM
Cathy Kearns

"Mrs X" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Mrs X" wrote ...

I have cycled around the district this evening much to the amusement

of
the
local children and the shame of my teenage daughter ( the bike is a

luminous
shocking pink)

what kind of parent would you be if you didn't embarass your teenage
daughter once in a while?

She said I could paint "Barbie" down one side to really show her up.

I road a tour around France with a woman who had a Barbie
duct taped to her handle bars....

Old August 26th 04, 11:51 PM
the black rose

Zoot Katz wrote:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:00:15 GMT,
, the black rose
wrote:

zk suggested

Attach a plastic flamingo and garlands of pink roses.

Mrs.X responded

OMG
She'd kill me!

All the more reason to do it. *huge grin*

-km, who loves embarrassing her teenagers

I know four women, who are all daily commuter and utility cyclists
riding as traffic, and they have said to me on different occasions
that flowers decorating their bikes seems to elicit kinder, gentler
behaviour from motorists.
FWIW

Okay, now yer giving me ideas. Bad Zoot, no doughnut. *grin*

-km, off to the garden

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old August 29th 04, 09:48 AM
Mrs X

"Actually34" wrote in message
Forget about the shame of your children and leave the bike a shocking

pink. It
will save you the price of buying a padlock and the trouble of locking

your
bike up.

I took the bike up the shops Saturday for the first time. I locked it up -
just in case. When I came out you're right, I spotted it straight away, it
stood out from the others and you know what? I felt really proud of it.

[...]

Thanks for your advice