Undoing BMX bike training?

Old August 29th 04, 02:52 PM
Pat

Default Undoing BMX bike training?

Yesterday while I was riding in the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred, I observed an
odd sight---boys of about 12 years old on good road bikes riding
erratically. Now, this was on the straight and level road and each boy
would sway the bike from side to side with his shoulders, pump the pedals
about 6 times, and then coast with the bike held tilted. It occurred to me
that even though the boys had decent road bikes, they were exhibiting the
"training" they had on BMX bikes, tooling around the neighborhood.
Evidently, there is going to have to be some "unlearning" when a boy grows
from a little BMX bike to a full sized road bike. These kids sure had some
bad habits!

Pat in TX

Old August 30th 04, 04:34 AM
Collin

Pat wrote:
Yesterday while I was riding in the Hotter 'n' Hell Hundred, I observed an
odd sight---boys of about 12 years old on good road bikes riding
erratically. Now, this was on the straight and level road and each boy
would sway the bike from side to side with his shoulders, pump the pedals
about 6 times, and then coast with the bike held tilted. It occurred to me
that even though the boys had decent road bikes, they were exhibiting the
"training" they had on BMX bikes, tooling around the neighborhood.
Evidently, there is going to have to be some "unlearning" when a boy grows
from a little BMX bike to a full sized road bike. These kids sure had some
bad habits!

Pat in TX

Perhaps this is unrelated. I got to see the US National Elite and Pro
Championships last weekend in Illinois. I noticed that most of the
Elites accelerated pretty inefficiently - cranking down and swaying a
bit side to side. I didn't see one pro do that. Every ounce of effort
was directed forward. No swaying.

I gues what I'm saying is maybe it's not worth "reeducation" if even
superior racers have this problem (jeez, I sound like a gulag official).
Let them find out on their own.

Collin
Old August 30th 04, 04:34 AM
Collin

Pat wrote:
[...]

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Racing 0 June 1st 04 04:53 AM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 10:28 AM
Training wheels for race bike $? fat'n'slow Australia 8 December 17th 03 03:40 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 14th 03 11:08 PM