Door Zone Bike Lane

Old November 28th 04, 06:26 PM
Bill McAninch

Default Door Zone Bike Lane

Below is a letter that I wrote to Adventure Cycling. Thought maybe some
here could help also.

Dear Adventure Cycling,

I am a recumbent cyclist in western New York State. I grew up in Mayville,
NY which is a small town located on Chautauqua Lake. This is a summer
tourist haven for the cities of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and
everything in between. Summer homes and the Chautauqua Institution swell
the population dramatically in this community of about two thousand
residents for ten weeks every summer.

The past two years have seen the reconstruction of the main street that runs
through town. Finally this fall the project is coming to a close with the
final work be done. As with any State project of this size there has been
controversy on why and how things are being done. I work for the New York
State Department of Transportation in Mayville and when they work in my home
town I really catch some flack.

The reason for this letter is after the road lines were painted down through
town I was absolutely dismayed at what I saw. They added a bike lane and
when I first heard of it I was pleased that this was being done. That was
till I saw it with my own eyes. Right down North and South Erie Street,
about a mile and a half total, the bike lane is in the Door Zone. In the
business district, about a thousand feet, the motorist has to have there
tires rubbing the curb to get out of the bike lane.

I am looking for some help in finding resources and links to pages that
refer to this problem. I remember reading about a group or movement that is
trying to educate agencies (the State) on the problems associated with these
types of bike lanes. Any and all information will be helpful. I work for
the State DOT and have some contacts referred to me by my Resident Engineer
(my boss) and I am hoping to get it changed. I want to look some what
professional rather that just some body complaining so I need useful
information to back up my concern.

Your help will be appreciated and I am also going to post this on a news
group I use.

Any help from the group is welcome,

Bill

96 Vanguard, 99 Duplex

Old November 28th 04, 07:48 PM
alan

Bill,

The usual sources of information would be John Forester's website, AASHTO,
and the League of American Bicyclists. A young woman died as a result of a
door-zone bike lane a couple of years ago, and if I recall right, the city
was held responsible for putting cyclists within that area. But to be
perfectly honest, I'm not clear on the details.

--

alan

Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

Old November 30th 04, 02:53 AM
blazingpedals

Bill McAninch Wrote:

I am looking for some help in finding resources and links to pages
that
refer to this problem. I remember reading about a group or movement
that is
trying to educate agencies (the State) on the problems associated
with these
types of bike lanes. Any and all information will be helpful. I
work for
the State DOT and have some contacts referred to me by my Resident
Engineer
(my boss) and I am hoping to get it changed. I want to look some
what
professional rather that just some body complaining so I need useful
information to back up my concern.
A quick Google search of +"open door" +cyclist turned up a few URLs:

http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/ca...one/laird1.htm
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~riin/bikes/doorzone.htm
(another about Dana Laird: )
http://tinyurl.com/r0jb
and here is something from Forrester, see section 3.2.2
http://www.johnforester.com/Articles...laneGuides.htm

Hope this helps.

--
blazingpedals