my quest for a decent bike

Old April 14th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default my quest for a decent bike

going to look at a used Cannondale cross bike, '05 model tomorrow
evening if everything works out. That sounds a little more like what I
should have been looking at all along. only question is whether the
frame size is right or not - owner is about an inch shorter than I am.
We'll see. wish me luck...

Wanted to go for a real ride today but couldn't talk SWMBO into coming
with. maybe next weekend

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 14th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

GO FORTH !
Old April 14th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 13, 6:02*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
going to look at a used Cannondale cross bike, '05 model tomorrow
evening if everything works out. *That sounds a little more like what I
should have been looking at all along. *only question is whether the
frame size is right or not - owner is about an inch shorter than I am.
We'll see. *wish me luck...

Check the spoke/rim interface on the wheels (if it has the absurd
stock "Gipiemme" wheels) for cracking.
Old April 14th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On Apr 13, 6:02 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

going to look at a used Cannondale cross bike, '05 model tomorrow
evening if everything works out. That sounds a little more like what I
should have been looking at all along. only question is whether the
frame size is right or not - owner is about an inch shorter than I am.
We'll see. wish me luck...

Check the spoke/rim interface on the wheels (if it has the absurd
stock "Gipiemme" wheels) for cracking.

Thanks for the tip. I know the guy said he'd changed some components
but I don't know which ones. I will definitely have a look there though.

What's absurd about the wheels? I'd never even heard of them before I
looked the bike up on Cannondale's web site. Anything else I ought to
be watching for that's non-obvious?

nate

Old April 14th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 13, 7:35*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
landotter wrote:
On Apr 13, 6:02 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

going to look at a used Cannondale cross bike, '05 model tomorrow
evening if everything works out. *That sounds a little more like what I
should have been looking at all along. *only question is whether the
frame size is right or not - owner is about an inch shorter than I am.
We'll see. *wish me luck...

Check the spoke/rim interface on the wheels (if it has the absurd
stock "Gipiemme" wheels) for cracking.

Thanks for the tip. *I know the guy said he'd changed some components
but I don't know which ones. *I will definitely have a look there though..

What's absurd about the wheels? *I'd never even heard of them before I
looked the bike up on Cannondale's web site. *Anything else I ought to
be watching for that's non-obvious?

The wheels are very hard to true because of the tight clearances
introduced by the "artsy" spoke and drilling pattern. Mind, they
should stay pretty true, because to tolerate such lacing, the rims are
very stout. That said, if you like the bike, that shouldn't be a deal
breaker--if you ever tire of the wheels you should be able to get some
very nice, light, and inexpensive Ultegra/Openpro wheels for about
$160 online as a drop in replacement--and lose a couple pounds in the
swap.

Old April 14th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

landotter wrote:

[...]

I see what you mean, now that I look again. The spoke pattern does look
cool but not very strong/resilient. I'm certainly not averse to
replacing them if they indeed are still on the bike.

nate

Any decent bike stores... Jon B UK 10 May 19th 07 08:03 PM
Half decent second boy's bike for around £100? heed UK 16 November 11th 06 02:26 PM
Decent bike shops in Perth ? madrapper Australia 19 July 8th 05 05:58 AM
Decent road bike? Balin, Son of Fundin UK 21 January 17th 04 11:02 AM
Decent Bike Locks? Neil M UK 15 August 14th 03 01:12 AM