WIDE mtb shoes?

Old April 7th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default WIDE mtb shoes?

I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
OK for shorter
rides ( 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
outer parts of my feet,
They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
least use them for MTB.
But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?
Old April 7th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Maury Markowitz

On Apr 7, 2:40*pm, Woland99 wrote:
I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
OK for shorter rides ( 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
outer parts of *my feet

Welcome to the club. Let me guess, you have lots of fun with ski boots
too?

You might want to try to track down a pair of Louis Garneau's. They
make a couple of semi-flexible "touring" shoes that are nice and wide.
They also don't look like bike shoes, all that gives it away is the
little reflective tabs and one Velcro at the top.

Maury
Old April 7th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Apr 7, 2:09 pm, Maury Markowitz wrote:
On Apr 7, 2:40 pm, Woland99 wrote:

I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
OK for shorter rides ( 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
outer parts of my feet

Welcome to the club. Let me guess, you have lots of fun with ski boots
too?

You might want to try to track down a pair of Louis Garneau's. They
make a couple of semi-flexible "touring" shoes that are nice and wide.
They also don't look like bike shoes, all that gives it away is the
little reflective tabs and one Velcro at the top.

Maury

Thanks - on top of width I also have very high arch so yes - buying
any kind of shoes (ski boots included) is always time consuming.
Nothing fits. And velcro straps usually are too short to close.
Thanks for the suggestion about Garneau's.
Old April 7th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 8:40*pm, Woland99 wrote:
I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
OK for shorter
rides ( 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
outer parts of *my feet,
They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
least use them for MTB.
But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

This has unfortunately been gone over many times before, sadly without
a satisfactory conclusion.

I have wide-ish feet and I have found the Diadora Geko MTB to be the
roomiest MTB shoes around. And there is no way the velcro straps
wouldn't be long enough, provided you are a human.

Maybe it's not the shoes being too narrow. What happens if you just
wear them (off the bike) for 1 hour or more?

Joseph
Old April 7th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
marcel

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:40:38 -0700, Woland99 wrote:

I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work OK
for shorter
rides ( 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the outer
parts of my feet,
They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
least use them for MTB.
But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

I have Sidi shoes on my wide feet. I believe there are "half sizes", in
which the width of the shoe goes up, compared to the normal size.

Greetings,
Marcel
Old April 7th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 2:29*pm, Woland99 wrote:
[...]

the numbness might be due to soles that are too flexible; you are
pressing on a specific point on your foot, possibly compressing a
nerve juncture and that would lead to increasing pain. I have fairly
wide feet; and use sidi mtb shoes for my road bike and do longer
rides; the soles are fairly solid but allowing walking too; for wider
feet there is the "mega" versions of the shoe size; they are fairly
adjustible, some models have other solutions to the velcro straps;
they are very well contstructed, comfortable and snazzy looking too-
they are pricier than shimanos but if you consider how many hours you
might be wearing them you may see the worth. don't turn your head if
you see them when you are buying your cycling shoes
Old April 7th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 2:40*pm, Woland99 wrote:
I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
OK for shorter
rides ( 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
outer parts of *my feet,
They do not feel very tight so I still hope to break them in - or at
least use them for MTB.
But I need something I can use for 40-50 miles ride. Any suggestions?

I have wide feet with messed up pinkie toes, and find my Answer
Speeders to be comfy. This is nice, because little is with my feet.
Old April 7th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news.internode.on.net

Sidi dominator Mega is a wide fitting version of the Sidi shoe. I have a
pair and they are definitely wider than the normal fitting.

Nick

Old April 7th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alan Hoyle

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 15:09:41, Maury Markowitz wrote:
On Apr 7, 2:40??pm, Woland99 wrote:
I use mtb shoes and pedals on my road bike - Shimano M-31. They work
OK for shorter rides ( 20 miles) but after that I start getting numbness in the
outer parts of ??my feet

Welcome to the club. Let me guess, you have lots of fun with ski boots
too?

You might want to try to track down a pair of Louis Garneau's. They
make a couple of semi-flexible "touring" shoes that are nice and wide.
They also don't look like bike shoes, all that gives it away is the
little reflective tabs and one Velcro at the top.

I have a pair of Lake MX220 in wide that fit my feet well. For
summer, you can't beat the Shimano sandals (I have a pair of the older
SD60's with two velcro straps; the current SD65's have three straps).
The sandals were also Sheldon's favorite shoes.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Old April 8th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"news.internode.on.net" wrote in message
Sidi dominator Mega is a wide fitting version of the Sidi shoe. I have a
pair and they are definitely wider than the normal fitting.

Nick

I like my Sidi Dom5 Megas. They have stretched out a bit because of my heavy
winter socks. So I will probably need to buy a smaller size (one notch down)
for summer wear. My feet tend to spread out, because I have flat feet.

J.

EE wide Shoes available? Sammy Shuford Techniques 13 May 28th 06 05:45 PM
Wide shoes TJF Australia 6 February 1st 06 07:51 AM
Wide shoes Tamyka Bell Australia 0 February 1st 06 12:43 AM
wide SPD shoes... garryb UK 8 March 16th 05 11:48 PM