"Pavement cyclist is first to be fined"

Old January 18th 05, 04:14 PM
Pete Bentley

Default "Pavement cyclist is first to be fined"

From http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...icles/15987898

"A pavement cyclist has become the first person in London to receive
an on-the-spot fine for anti-social behaviour [...]"

Whilst I'm all in favour of clamping down on pavement cyclists, a 30 quid
fine seems a bit harsh for a first offence. I would have thought a period
of issuing verbal warnings first would be more appropriate.

Either that, or a more even-handed approach to fining people... They
could start with all the drivers who ignore advance stop lines (and
stop lines).

As for the quote from Plod that "Cycling on pavements is the thing
most people worry about in this area", I can only assume that is
unique to Kensington and Chelsea... The rest of us tend to worry
more about vandalism, petty theft and dangerous motorists. Of
course, this is the Standard though so usual standards of journalism
do not apply...

On the plus side, maybe this will mean that traffic wardens stop
routinely cycling on the pavement...

Pete (a bit concerned about the no spitting thing).
Old January 18th 05, 05:19 PM
Lance Armstrong

"Pete Bentley" wrote in message
From http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...icles/15987898

[...]

HOORAY! Let's have a party. Finally bringing you lot into line with the
rest of us poor saps. Getting fines, eh? Bet he felt all grown up.

Old January 18th 05, 05:41 PM
Simonb

Lance Armstrong wrote:

HOORAY! Let's have a party. Finally bringing you lot into line with
the rest of us poor saps. Getting fines, eh? Bet he felt all grown
up.

Not an effective troll. Not subtle enough.

Old January 18th 05, 06:50 PM
JLB

Pete Bentley wrote:
From http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...icles/15987898

[...]

I would get serious pleasure watching a driver get a spot fine for
parking on the pavement. Does not seem to bother the authorities at all,
at least not around here.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old January 18th 05, 07:02 PM
Simon Mason

"Pete Bentley" wrote in message news:csj949
As for the quote from Plod that "Cycling on pavements is the thing
most people worry about in this area", I can only assume that is
unique to Kensington and Chelsea... The rest of us tend to worry
more about vandalism, petty theft and dangerous motorists. Of
course, this is the Standard though so usual standards of journalism
do not apply...

Seeing as you get fined 80 quid for peeing on the pavement he got away
lightly.

--
Simon M.

Old January 18th 05, 08:03 PM
Paul - xxx

Pete Bentley composed the following;:
From http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...icles/15987898

"A pavement cyclist has become the first person in London to receive
an on-the-spot fine for anti-social behaviour [...]"

Someone had to be ..

Whilst I'm all in favour of clamping down on pavement cyclists, a 30
quid fine seems a bit harsh for a first offence. I would have
thought a period of issuing verbal warnings first would be more
appropriate.

Why? You don't appear to want leniency for other road users, so why
should cyclists get away with breaking a law, even though other road
users do?

Two wrongs don't make it right.

As for the quote from Plod that "Cycling on pavements is the thing
most people worry about in this area"

I believe it's been well-publicised in the areas that the no tolerance
policy is operating ..

--
Paul ...
http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php

Old January 18th 05, 09:18 PM
Al C-F

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:42:15 -0000, "Ambrose Nankivell"
wrote:

I would get serious pleasure watching a driver get a spot fine for
parking on the pavement. Does not seem to bother the authorities at
all, at least not around here.

Only illegal in London and other places where byelaws exist. Incredibly
annoying, though.

Particularly as it can frequently make it impossible to get a buggy or
wheelchair down the streets. Especially as such a high proportion of people
who do walk about are people looking after young children.

There is a section of the Highways Act (s.187?) that can be used.
Something about obstructing the highway in a manner causing danger to
other users.
Old January 18th 05, 09:19 PM
Al C-F

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:04:57 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

As for the quote from Plod that "Cycling on pavements is the thing
most people worry about in this area", I can only assume that is
unique to Kensington and Chelsea...

Indeed. I suspect most people actually worry about being stabbed,
shot, raped rather more.

Despite stabbings, shootings and rapes being so rare as to be
insignificant compared to pavement cycling.
Old January 18th 05, 10:03 PM
Tim Hall

wrote:

Particularly as it can frequently make it impossible to get a buggy or
wheelchair down the streets.

If not impossible, often very hard to get past with scratching the
paint. Apparently.

Tim

Diary of a Mountain Biker in Twickenham Maximus2 UK 0 October 11th 04 09:31 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
Pavement cyclist falls off. Peter B UK 3 November 24th 03 06:10 PM
Driver fined for killing cyclist. Dave Larrington UK 65 August 30th 03 12:21 AM