Why isn't there 'Sharing the Road with Bicyclists' on DMV Papers?

Old April 14th 05, 09:27 PM
Ravi

Default Why isn't there 'Sharing the Road with Bicyclists' on DMV Papers?

Hi,
I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test,
seeing anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the
Road. Why not these Bicycle Advocacy Organizations push for such an
inclusion - that way, atleast it is embedded in the young minds that
bicyclists are also legit road users.

my 2 cents,
+ravi
Old April 14th 05, 11:27 PM
Matt O'Toole

Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test,
seeing anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the
Road.

It depends on which state you're in. Some have as much info as can be expected,
while others apparently do not. Which state are you talking about? Since
you're posting to ba.bicycles I assume you're in CA. Last time I looked, there
was "as much info as can be expected" in both the drivers' manual and the
written test. You might want to read it again.

Keep in mind there's a lot to cover in too few pages. For the message to sink
in at all, it can't be too comprehensive or complicated. Same with the test.

Why not these Bicycle Advocacy Organizations push for such an
inclusion -

Of course they do.

Matt O.

Old April 15th 05, 01:10 AM
Pat

: Hi,
: I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test,
: seeing anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the
: Road. Why not these Bicycle Advocacy Organizations push for such an
: inclusion - that way, atleast it is embedded in the young minds that
: bicyclists are also legit road users.
:
: my 2 cents,
: +ravi

it's all in the Texas drivers' handbook. You should not assume that because
it isn't done a certain way where you live that it applies to every place.

Pat in TX

Old April 15th 05, 03:59 AM
max

"Pat" wrote:

: Hi,
: I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test,
: seeing anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the
: Road. Why not these Bicycle Advocacy Organizations push for such an
: inclusion - that way, atleast it is embedded in the young minds that
: bicyclists are also legit road users.
:
: my 2 cents,
: +ravi

it's all in the Texas drivers' handbook. You should not assume that because
it isn't done a certain way where you live that it applies to every place.

Pat in TX

The WORD in Illinois:
http://www.sos.state.il.us/publications/rr/rr_chap09.html

and from Da Ma
http://www.cityofchicago.org/Transportation/bikemap/road.html

..max

--
blink

Old April 15th 05, 09:28 AM
Michael J Rodney Sr.

Florida's DMV handbook describes a bicycle as being a legitimate vehicle.
Although not covered in expansive detail, there are a few paragraphs that
cover the duties of the motorist (in respect to bicycles) and the duties of
the bicyclist when on the road.

Old April 15th 05, 02:30 PM
H M Leary

In article ,
"Michael J Rodney Sr." wrote:

Florida's DMV handbook describes a bicycle as being a legitimate vehicle.
Although not covered in expansive detail, there are a few paragraphs that
cover the duties of the motorist (in respect to bicycles) and the duties of
the bicyclist when on the road.

The first two things that a newly liscensed driver forgets:

1. Driving is a privelege granted by the state.

2. A bicycle is a vehicle.

HAND
Old April 15th 05, 03:02 PM
Matthew

Ravi wrote in message
Hi,
I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test,
seeing anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the
Road. Why not these Bicycle Advocacy Organizations push for such an
inclusion - that way, atleast it is embedded in the young minds that
bicyclists are also legit road users.

But what if they are successful? How long would it take a legislator
to propose licensing bicycle riders?

FWIW in my neck of the woods I see far more irresponsible cycling than
driving.

Matthew

Old April 15th 05, 05:26 PM
Ravi

Matt O'Toole wrote:
Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test,
seeing anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the
Road.

It depends on which state you're in. Some have as much info as can be expected,
while others apparently do not. Which state are you talking about? Since
you're posting to ba.bicycles I assume you're in CA. Last time I looked, there
was "as much info as can be expected" in both the drivers' manual and the
written test. You might want to read it again.

Keep in mind there's a lot to cover in too few pages. For the message to sink
in at all, it can't be too comprehensive or complicated. Same with the test.

my bad. I should have googled properly - found it on CA DMV handbook...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/pgs55thru57.htm#bike

also DMV is per state so, each state has to make a call as to how much
info they want to put in - so as to keep the book size relatively
managable...

pardon my err....

thanks,
ravi

Old April 15th 05, 05:30 PM
Ravi

Pat wrote:

: Hi,
: I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test,
: seeing anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the
: Road. Why not these Bicycle Advocacy Organizations push for such an
: inclusion - that way, atleast it is embedded in the young minds that
: bicyclists are also legit road users.
:
: my 2 cents,
: +ravi

it's all in the Texas drivers' handbook. You should not assume that because
it isn't done a certain way where you live that it applies to every place.

apologies. my bad. looked at
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf, on page 9-7, it
actually explains the cases where a bicycle can take a full lane.... it
is more comprehensive than CA

again my bad,
+ravi

Pat in TX

Old April 15th 05, 05:34 PM
Ravi

H M Leary wrote:

In article ,
"Michael J Rodney Sr." wrote:

Florida's DMV handbook describes a bicycle as being a legitimate vehicle.
Although not covered in expansive detail, there are a few paragraphs that
cover the duties of the motorist (in respect to bicycles) and the duties of
the bicyclist when on the road.

The first two things that a newly liscensed driver forgets:

1. Driving is a privelege granted by the state.

yes, I agree, most drivers tend to forget the privilege part. If
everyone understands this, the roads would be far safe for cyclists. but
then i am dreaming.

+ravi

2. A bicycle is a vehicle.

HAND