Creaking pedals/cleats

Old July 25th 19, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Creaking pedals/cleats

On 7/23/2019 9:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats.Â* What's the trick to stop them from
creaking?Â* I switched from the grip cleats to the plain ones with the
white silicon ridges and the creaking stopped for a 1000km or so.Â* But
now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind.Â* So under pressure.

Others have already posted better answers, but here's mine:

Back before I gave up on Look Deltas (switched to two-bolt MTB shoes
~2008), I regularly had awful squeaks. Cleaning the cleats (and maybe
waxing the nose) would hold them for a while, but on longer rides, I'd
listen to the squeak for the second half of the ride. This got old.

I took to carrying a sacrificial tube of chapstick / lip balm. A touch
of that on the nose of the cleat would silence the squeak until the next
time I walked on the cleats - at which time the chapstick coating would
pick up all sorts of grit and the squeaking would resume. I also took
to carrying a bit of paper napkin to wipe the cleats at the end of a pit
stop, then reapply the chapstick. Clearly a tedious ritual, but it gave
temporary relief.

That's one of the reasons I switched to MTB-style pedals and shoes on
all my bikes.

Mark J.
Old July 25th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Mark J. wrote:
On 7/23/2019 9:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats.* What's the trick to stop them from
creaking?* I switched from the grip cleats to the plain ones with the
white silicon ridges and the creaking stopped for a 1000km or so.* But
now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind.* So under pressure.

[...]

The general consensus seems to be grit and grime.

--
duane
Old July 25th 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 5:20:58 PM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Or lack of grit and grime -- mine started squeaking after a thorough cleaning of the bike. AFAIK, noise comes from vibration caused by friction between the cleat and pedal body -- unless the pedal has a built in squeaky-toy or sound chip. Did you get a discarded clown-nose stuck to your pedal? When my bike squeaks, I always check for discarded clown noses.

Anyway, removing friction between the cleat and pedal body will do the trick. That could mean removing grit or adding lubricant to a clean pedal -- or throwing on a new cleat because the old one is fuzzy and acts like a high frequency zither (?). Remember, wax is always the answer.

-- Jay Beattie
CEO, Paraffin Institute
Old July 25th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, July 24, 2019 at 6:38:38 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 24/7/19 4:06 am, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2019 11:23 AM, Duane wrote:
Look Keo 2 Max with grey cleats.Â* What's the trick to stop
them from creaking?Â* I switched from the grip cleats to the
plain ones with the white silicon ridges and the creaking
stopped for a 1000km or so.Â* But now it's back.

Mostly happens climbing or with a head wind.Â* So under
pressure.

Dust/grit on the nylon face. Shoot dry silicon spray periodically, just
like nylon drawer slides.

I cleaned mine after they started to make noise. Then I tried silicon
spray and that didn't do much for long.

Then I cleaned again and applied a smear of my *magic* chain wax/oil
lube to the top surface of the toe end of the cleat and the problem is
non existent.

YMMV.

I was going to make the same suggestion, but I thought there might be too much
skepticism from the anti-waxxers.

- Frank Krygowski

Old July 25th 19, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Mark J. wrote:
[...]

I thought 42 is always the answer. Just don't remember what the
question was.

Seems still ok even after getting caught in the rain this morning. I'll
find out over the weekend.

Old July 25th 19, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Mark J. wrote:
[...]

42 is an excellent answer. That's the size of sample shoes
and coincidentally my feet. woo hoo.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 25th 19, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Mark J. wrote:
[...]

My shoe size also. Hmmm. How’s your pocket fluff holding out?

--
duane
Old July 25th 19, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Mark J. wrote:
[...]

The look Deltas I have seem to make noise all the time. The Look Blade did not. Of course the cleats were new.
Old July 26th 19, 10:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
dave[_3_]

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 12:56:43 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Anyway, removing friction between the cleat and pedal body will do the
trick. That could mean removing grit or adding lubricant to a clean
pedal -- or throwing on a new cleat because the old one is fuzzy and
acts like a high frequency zither (?). Remember, wax is always the
answer.

-- Jay Beattie CEO, Paraffin Institute

I thought 42 is always the answer. Just don't remember what the
question was.

Seems still ok even after getting caught in the rain this morning.
I'll find out over the weekend.

42 is an excellent answer. That's the size of sample shoes and
coincidentally my feet. woo hoo.

Dec Hex oct html
42 2A 052 * *

Also the ascii code for a * which in most programming languages is a wild
card. Which basically means whatever you want it to. Thanks Mr Adams.

--
davethedave

Creaking pedals Graham Techniques 43 August 2nd 16 01:02 PM
Are SM-SH24 Shimano cleats the right cleats 4 Shimano 600 pedals & toeclips? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 12 April 11th 14 08:59 PM
spd cleats, spd sl pedals. didds UK 1 November 12th 08 11:15 AM
creaking cleats Arthur Ogus Techniques 6 November 6th 06 06:33 AM
FS: Look 256 pedals w/new cleats WheelsDealsThings Marketplace 0 March 10th 05 05:03 AM