A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WHOOPS! Man Injured Mountain Biking Near Durango (CO)



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 19th 12, 06:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,706
Default WHOOPS! Man Injured Mountain Biking Near Durango (CO)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...34/detail.html

Man Injured Mountain Biking Near Durango

Victim's Friend Rode Through Hail Storm To Call For Help

By Thomas Hendrick, New Media Producer

POSTED: 1:02 pm MDT August 18, 2012

DENVER -- A New Mexico man had to be rescued along the Colorado Trail near Durango late Friday, after he fell while mountain biking.

Jim Chavez was riding the trail south of Kennebec Pass when he fell off and injured his leg, said Dan Bender of the La Plata County Sheriff's Office.

"Another man who was riding with him rode farther down the trail and through a hail storm to reach a point where he was able to call 911 on his cell phone, " Bender said.

A group of hikers who were in the area met up with Chavez and set up a tent to help shield him from heavy rain that fell Friday night.

Around 9 p.m., a search and rescue team found Chavez and carried him out on a stretcher to an ambulance.

It took about three hours for Chavez to be carried out to the Junction Creek Trailhead.

He was taken to a hospital in Durango, Bender said.
Ads
  #2  
Old August 20th 12, 04:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 148
Default WHOOPS! Man Injured Mountain Biking Near Durango (CO)

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:42:46 PM UTC-4, Mike Vandeman wrote:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...34/detail.html



Man Injured Mountain Biking Near Durango


In June 2010, Michael J. Vandeman was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon against a mountain biker.

http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...52810-37NC.htm

He was subsequently found guilty of exhibiting a deadly weapon and battery.
  #3  
Old August 22nd 12, 07:58 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,706
Default WHOOPS! Man Injured Mountain Biking Near Durango (CO)

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 8:25:20 PM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
On Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:42:46 PM UTC-4, Mike Vandeman wrote:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...34/detail.html








Man Injured Mountain Biking Near Durango






In June 2010, Michael J. Vandeman was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon against a mountain biker.



http://police.berkeley.edu/crimealer...52810-37NC.htm



He was subsequently found guilty of exhibiting a deadly weapon and battery.


Based entirely on mountain bikers' lies. No surprize there!
  #4  
Old August 25th 12, 10:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
lil p
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default WHOOPS! HIKER Injured

Wednesday, August 8, 2012
Injured Hiker Rescued from Hanging Canyon in Grand Tetons
And yet another rescue in Grand Teton National Park. Rangers had to
rescue an injured hiker yesterday, after he slipped and tumbled 20 feet
on rocky terrain and sustained facial and lower leg injuries. Paul
Danes, 23, of Raleigh, North Carolina was scrambling alone and off trail
near the mouth of Hanging Canyon at the time of his accident.
Other day hikers who were in the Hanging Canyon area heard cries for
help and discovered Danes. They provided basic care for his injuries and
placed a cell phone call for help at 12:45 p.m. that was received by
Teton Interagency Dispatch Center.
Based upon the call and the relatively close location to the Jenny Lake
westshore trail, rangers made preparations to evacuate Danes by a
wheeled-litter handled by four rescuers. Upon reaching Danes by foot,
rangers determined that a helicopter short-haul evacuation was the more
prudent rescue technique. The decision was made because of a combination
of Danes' injuries and the rough and rocky terrain over which the
wheeled-litter would be hauled to complete an evacuation by ground.
A Teton Interagency contract helicopter was summoned at 3 p.m. and an
aerial evacuation of the injured hiker was completed by 4:15 p.m. Danes
was transported by park ambulance to St. John's Medical Center in
Jackson for further medical treatment.
Danes is working as a seasonal concession employee in Yellowstone
National Park for the summer.
This is now the 7th major search and rescue operation in Grand Teton
National Park this summer.
Jeff
Glacier National Park Hiking

  #5  
Old August 26th 12, 02:30 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,706
Default WHOOPS! HIKER Injured

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 2:51:38 PM UTC-7, lil p wrote:
Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Injured Hiker Rescued from Hanging Canyon in Grand Tetons

And yet another rescue in Grand Teton National Park. Rangers had to

rescue an injured hiker yesterday, after he slipped and tumbled 20 feet

on rocky terrain and sustained facial and lower leg injuries. Paul

Danes, 23, of Raleigh, North Carolina was scrambling alone and off trail

near the mouth of Hanging Canyon at the time of his accident.

Other day hikers who were in the Hanging Canyon area heard cries for

help and discovered Danes. They provided basic care for his injuries and

placed a cell phone call for help at 12:45 p.m. that was received by

Teton Interagency Dispatch Center.

Based upon the call and the relatively close location to the Jenny Lake

westshore trail, rangers made preparations to evacuate Danes by a

wheeled-litter handled by four rescuers. Upon reaching Danes by foot,

rangers determined that a helicopter short-haul evacuation was the more

prudent rescue technique. The decision was made because of a combination

of Danes' injuries and the rough and rocky terrain over which the

wheeled-litter would be hauled to complete an evacuation by ground.

A Teton Interagency contract helicopter was summoned at 3 p.m. and an

aerial evacuation of the injured hiker was completed by 4:15 p.m. Danes

was transported by park ambulance to St. John's Medical Center in

Jackson for further medical treatment.

Danes is working as a seasonal concession employee in Yellowstone

National Park for the summer.

This is now the 7th major search and rescue operation in Grand Teton

National Park this summer.

Jeff

Glacier National Park Hiking


We all know that injuries to mountain bikers are FAR more frequent, per person, per mile, etc. than injuries to hikers. Nice try, though.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Drummer Badly Injured His Shoulder in a Mountain Biking Accident Mike Vandeman[_4_] Social Issues 26 April 29th 10 04:19 AM
Oklahoma Mountain Biking Club Sued by Injured Rider Gary S. Mountain Biking 0 February 17th 06 03:23 AM
Oklahoma Mountain Biking Club Sued by Injured Lamer JD Social Issues 4 February 3rd 06 09:01 PM
Oklahoma Mountain Biking Club Sued by Injured Rider Andy H Mountain Biking 1 January 29th 06 08:11 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.