Coker seat height question

Old July 26th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steveyo

Default Coker seat height question

patmoore wrote:
My apologies if this topic has been discussed to death before - I did a
search and still couldn't get my question answered.

I'd like to try a Coker but am concerned about the difficulty of
freemounting. I have a 28" Sun and can generally get on it without too
much trouble despite the fact that the top of the seat is about 10-12
inches higher than my crotch. My inseam is 30". Will the additional
8" of diameter exacerbate the situation or is it possible to lower the
seat enough so that the difference is negligible? Some of the posts
I've read mention shortening the frame. Is that difficult to do?

What about hills? I can handle ascents and descents up to a point but
have to walk up steeper ones. I imagine the Coker will be more
difficult on climbs. I know brakes are an option on descents but I
have a recurring image of me grabbing too hard and pitching forward. I
guess it's something you apply gently. I did 6.5 miles Monday and some
of the downhills were tough - I really had to fight to keep the uni
from getting away from me.

As always, I appreciate the expert guidance you folks provide.

Pat -
I've got a 29" inseam and went from 29er to 36er without too much
problem. It's definitely harder to freemount, and a few inches higher
off the ground, but, once you get used to it, it's not a big deal. I
have a Radial 360, which is stock except I replaced the plastic pedals
with pinned ones.

ascending and descending hills

Crank length plays a part in what you can climb. That is, the longer
the cranks, the better leverage for mashing up a hill. Also, use the
seat handle for leverage climbing, and, after you get a better feel for
that, holding the handle also helps immensely descending, as well.

--
steveyo

steveyo

...like having your own personal rollercoaster...

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Seat question Fred General 13 January 30th 06 04:49 AM
my uni christmas poll: will she or won't she? BraveSirStupid Unicycling 25 December 28th 05 02:21 PM
Post Height, and Hopping seat in. cyberpunk Unicycling 20 February 13th 05 07:56 AM
Is seat suspension enough? optimistx Recumbent Biking 6 August 19th 03 01:03 AM