Specialized Sirrus Sport

Old August 17th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

Default Specialized Sirrus Sport

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:49:32 GMT, Peter Cole
wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:

Nevertheless, V-brakes are the most anti-fender brakes
in the world. Except they're not anti-fender. They
just ignore why fenders might be useful. V-brakes simply
aren't meant for fender'd bikes.

Everybody who rides transportational all-weather bicycles
already knows that.

But apparently you don't.

You need to rethink.

Sorry, I don't agree. I have fenders on 26" & 700c frames, some with
cantilever, some with caliper (side/center), some with V. They all work.
I'd say overall, V's are my favorite -- work well, cheap, easy to
adjust -- canti's a close second, only a PITA to adjust and squeal more
often. Yeah, sometimes the noodles rub on the fender & get chewed up,
but who needs noodles, anyway?

The noodle helps to keep the cable from chewing through the fender.
The only thing I like about the Vee brakes is I can replace the pads
without having to readjust the brakes other than putting back the
slack at the barrel adjuster.

Canti pads last longer though.
--
zk
Old August 17th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Cycling bee writes:
On Aug 16, 2:18 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Cycling bee writes:

Thanks,
actually never heard of Surly before, but there seem to be quite a few
shops in Vancouver that can order them in.

Oh, a fellow Vancouverite, eh?

You betcha, and like most Vancouverites I'm from out east.

Oh, a Canadian, eh?

As a home-grown, I won't hold that against ya.

You can get anything you want here, including stuff
you didn't even know you wanted.

Tell me about it. Oh, you weren't talking about Watermelon and her
cookies down at wreck beach, were you?

I was talking about dealing with the West Coast-specific
summer climate.

Bikes On The Drive, up Commercial Drive (Commercial @ Napier or
thereabouts) specializes in sport-touring bikes.

Lotsa Devinci stuff that looks alright.

Check 'em out.

If you're interested in Surly bikes, there are adverts
in Momentum Magazine. I pick-up my copies from Our
Community Bikes!, down the street from me at Main & 17th
Ave.

Heck, they might have your dream bike, right there.

The Surly Steamroller is an interesting compromise
(flip/flop) fixie.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old August 17th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

They're great for sporty off-road MTBs that would never
even consider the mounting of fenders. Their Mechanical
Advantage is so lovely, and they don't have that "fade"
so inherent in older, centre-pull canti's when you apply
them beyond a certain point.

Rather than writing 5000 words, I got out my digital camera.

Here is the V-brake on the front of my ATB:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/2769269134/. Noodle is as
high as the fork bridge, with huge clearance over the knobby tire.

But I'll tell ya what: every bike w/ V-brakes I've ever
dealt with (and that's a fair number,) has confronted me
with struggles to put fenders on 'em. And that's the
Honest Truth.

Pictures of the V-Brake and front fender of a bike with 47-406 Tioga
Comp Pool tires:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/2769262208/,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/19704682@N08/2768418687/.

So, are fender-friendly V-brakes the norm, or the exception?

IME, it's the latter.

'Cuz V-brakes are inherently a MTB thing, and encumbering
MTBs with fenders is typically not a consideration.

All the V-brake-equipped bikes I've ever seen in person
have the brake mech right in the way of where a fender
would go.

cheers,
Tom

Old August 17th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

[...]

Are SRAM V-brake arms longer than those of other manufacturers?

'Cuz V-brakes are inherently a MTB thing, and encumbering
MTBs with fenders is typically not a consideration.

Only because cantilever brakes have the same mechanical advantage as
calipers.

All the V-brake-equipped bikes I've ever seen in person
have the brake mech right in the way of where a fender
would go.

The experience of others differs.

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old August 17th 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

All the V-brake-equipped bikes I've ever seen in person
have the brake mech right in the way of where a fender
would go.

The experience of others differs.

Well, I'll be hornswaggled.

cheers,
Tom

Old August 17th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Aug 16, 11:08*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Tom Sherman writes:

[...]

Every single bike equipped with Vee brakes that isn't a mtb at my LBS
can easily be equipped with fenders. They've got a couple of the
Amsterdams with cantis, but I'd imagine that spec is merely a
concession to style, which admittedly looks very nice. From a
functional POV, I'd can't say anything bad at all about your run of
the mill $15 Tektro Vee. Strong, easy to adjust, good clearances. It's
not a romantic brake, just good stuff.

Old August 17th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

* * * * Tom Sherman writes:

[...]

Here's the front on my city scoot:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2wnb5t2.jpg

That would qualify as "gobs of room".

Specialized Sirrus, Globe or... Jorg Lueke General 2 March 17th 07 11:44 AM
Specialized Sirrus catzz66 General 2 September 6th 06 01:20 PM
'04/'05 Specialized Sirrus Comp L (56.5 cm) NEW smarter4u Marketplace 0 February 5th 06 11:19 PM
WTB: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Queso Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 08:00 PM
Giant FCR2 V Specialized Sirrus Sport Paul UK 5 July 29th 03 06:20 PM