Specialized Sirrus Sport

Old August 15th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cycling bee

Default Specialized Sirrus Sport

Hope this isn't off topic....

I haven't ridden in about 6 year. Long story short.... tore my
meniscus on a ride a few years ago.
But I've been bitten by the cycling bug again. So I've been shopping
around for a new ride.
I'm going to be commuting and if my knee is fine with long distance
riding I'll be getting back into touring.
All the bikes that I've looked at are in the $900.00 range.

Two bikes that have really caught my fancy a
a) Jamis Coda Sport (possibly the coda elite)
and
b) Specialized Sirrus Sport.

I've had both out for decent test rides. I like both of them, but I
can only take one. :-(
Both bikes will take rear racks and panniers. Both are flat bar with
an riding position that isn't completely upright but doesn't have me
too far forward either. Both have conventional rim brakes. Disc brakes
look enticing, but I'm more familiar with maintaining v-lever brakes
and for my riding v-lever will meet my needs.

So... my few questions.

I've never heard of Jamis before. Does anyone have any anecdotal
stories about Jamis and their bikes.
The Specialized Sirrus Sport has carbon fibre forks and seat stays,
with little neoprene things called 'zertz'(sp?). Have these been
trouble free and does the carbon fibre hold up well to the typical
abuse that a commuter bike would be expected to endure?
Old August 15th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Cycling bee wrote:

I've never heard of Jamis before. Does anyone have any anecdotal
stories about Jamis and their bikes.
The Specialized Sirrus Sport has carbon fibre forks and seat stays,
with little neoprene things called 'zertz'(sp?). Have these been
trouble free and does the carbon fibre hold up well to the typical
abuse that a commuter bike would be expected to endure?

The Coda would better for a commuter bike, with its Cromoloy steel frame.

We have one Jamis in our fleet, as Jamis was one of the only
manufacturers to make a decent "Tween" size bicycle (between child and
teenager). Jamis seem to be less popular these days for some reason. The
dealer near me is "Sports Basement" which often has 20% off coupons in
the local weekly paper and also puts these coupons in goody bags on Bike
to Work day.

I'd probably get the REI Randonee for a commute bicycle. REI frequently
puts Novara bikes on sale, as well as giving you 5% more rebate if you
use their own Visa card.
Old August 15th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Cycling bee wrote:
[...]

I keep my bikes for a long time, so I'd be leery of any proprietary
gizmos that I might not be able to replace down the road (especially
frame parts). Flat bars wouldn't be my choice for touring or CF forks
for commuting, either.
Old August 15th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Aug 14, 11:39*pm, Cycling bee wrote:
Hope this isn't off topic....

I haven't ridden in about 6 year. Long story short.... tore my
meniscus on a ride a few years ago.
But I've been bitten by the cycling bug again. So I've been shopping
around for a new ride.
I'm going to be commuting and if my knee is fine with long distance
riding I'll be getting back into touring.
All the bikes that I've looked at are in the $900.00 range.

You could also get a nice do everything touring bike in that range
like an REI Randonee or Surly LHT OR an adventure bike like the REI
Safari OR a cool Euro commuter with an internally geared hub or even
spend half that for a bike that's less dear and better suited for
banging around and locking up in shady urban areas where ya fear
theives. Explore all your options!

Two bikes that have really caught my fancy a
a) Jamis Coda Sport (possibly the coda elite)
and
b) Specialized Sirrus Sport.

There are tons more in this style.

I've had both out for decent test rides. I like both of them, but I
can only take one. :-(
Both bikes will take rear racks and panniers. Both are flat bar with
an riding position that isn't completely upright but doesn't have me
too far forward either. Both have conventional rim brakes. Disc brakes
look enticing, but I'm more familiar with maintaining v-lever brakes
and for my riding v-lever will meet my needs.

Vee brakes are MORE than enough for the road unless you're a clyde or
ride in extreme conditions. Disk brakes are *usually* a selling
gimmick.

So... my few questions.

I've never heard of Jamis before. Does anyone have any anecdotal
stories about Jamis and their bikes.
The Specialized Sirrus Sport has carbon fibre forks and seat stays,
with little neoprene things called 'zertz'(sp?). Have these been
trouble free and does the carbon fibre hold up well to the typical
abuse that a commuter bike would be expected to endure?

Steel or aluminum bikes are good. Carbon is fine stuff--but I wouldn't
want it for a bike that's getting locked up and scratched in the city.

Jamis is a good company. Might also want to check out their Commuter
series. If you're commuting under ten miles, they're a very elegant
solution, especially the model with the 8 speed gear hub:

http://jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/08_b...commuter3.html

Old August 15th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rob Lindauer

Cycling bee wrote:

The Specialized Sirrus Sport has carbon fibre forks and seat stays,
with little neoprene things called 'zertz'(sp?). Have these been
trouble free and does the carbon fibre hold up well to the typical
abuse that a commuter bike would be expected to endure?

I can't comment on the Sirrus Sport specifically, but I have a six-year
old flat-bar Sirrus Pro (eBay, $400) that I outfitted with fenders and
racks and use for commuting (racks and bags from Wayne at
thetouringstore.com - an excellent place to do business). Mine has a CF
fork, but the stays are aluminum. For me, the Sirrus works just fine as
a commuter, the build quality seems good, and I've had no problem
(except for those I caused myself....). -Rob L
--
Rob Lindauer - Please change "att" to "sbc" for my real email address
Old August 15th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jorg Lueke

How far are you planning on going? You might want to try the Sequoia
which is much like the Sirrus but with drop bars. The drops do help
if you ride enough. I know several commuter that have this general
style with the carbon fork and that hasn't been a problem.

Old August 15th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Kunich

"Cycling bee" wrote in message

I've never heard of Jamis before. Does anyone have any anecdotal
stories about Jamis and their bikes.
The Specialized Sirrus Sport has carbon fibre forks and seat stays,
with little neoprene things called 'zertz'(sp?). Have these been
trouble free and does the carbon fibre hold up well to the typical
abuse that a commuter bike would be expected to endure?

Since you want to commute for the most part and are thinking of touring as
well, I would suggest you look more at a Surly Long Haul Trucker which would
serve both cases very well.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...cker+Bike.aspx
is a report. But you really should try to get it from a local bike shop.

Old August 16th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cycling bee

On Aug 15, 2:30 pm, Jorg Lueke wrote:
How far are you planning on going?

For starters I want to ride to and from my figure skating sessions.
Why ride the bus only having to warm up when I get there when I can
ride and warm up at the same time.
I skate at two rinks in particular.
Brittania
http://tinyurl.com/6jn27t
and this would be the other
Richmond Ice Centre
http://tinyurl.com/5smny7
and if I get really back into my grove on the saddle I'll ride to work
every day, but I make a decent trip out of it.
http://tinyurl.com/5c244r

You might want to try the Sequoia
which is much like the Sirrus but with drop bars. The drops do help
if you ride enough.

It should be pretty easy to change the bars over from flat to drop,
no?

I know several commuter that have this general
style with the carbon fork and that hasn't been a problem.

Most guys that I've spoken to have said basically the same thing.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

Old August 16th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cycling bee

On Aug 15, 5:19 am, SMS wrote:
Cycling bee wrote:
[...]

Well, I've got two weeks to go before I make the purchase. You're the
second person so far to mention REI, but alas, they don't have any
stores up here in the great white north. But thanks for the input

Old August 16th 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Cycling bee

On Aug 15, 5:42 am, Peter Cole wrote:
Cycling bee wrote:
[...]

I'm kinda leary of proprietary devices myself, however one of the
carpenters at work swears up and down about specialized. And he does a
fair bit of cycling himself. Doesn't mean that I'm going to go with
the Sirrus.
Fun thing is I've been to three other cycle shops here in vancouver
and my selection has increased to five different bikes. I've ridden
them all so far and I really have no complaints what so ever. This is
what makes this so frusterating. They're all good and decent bikes. In
a way it might have been easier to make a choice of bike if I were to
look in the $200.00 range, but in the $900.00 range they're all of
very good quality and build. I think what is really going to be the
deciding factor for me is how well the shops treat me and what type of
long term service they'll offer.
Thanks for your reply, it is food for thought.

Specialized Sirrus, Globe or... Jorg Lueke General 2 March 17th 07 11:44 AM
Specialized Sirrus catzz66 General 2 September 6th 06 01:20 PM
'04/'05 Specialized Sirrus Comp L (56.5 cm) NEW smarter4u Marketplace 0 February 5th 06 11:19 PM
WTB: 2005 Specialized Sirrus Queso Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 08:00 PM
Giant FCR2 V Specialized Sirrus Sport Paul UK 5 July 29th 03 06:20 PM