Diabetes under control ...

Old December 16th 10, 10:54 AM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Default Diabetes under control ...

As some know, I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes a few months ago with
fasting Blood Sugar levels of 11.7, where 'normal' people should have
BS at 4.5 to 6.5 ish. Went (cycled 4 miles) to the doctors yesterday,
after a blood test last week, to discuss the result. He explained that
after this amount of time they'd expect me to be between about 8 and 9
with a target of 6.8 or less within a year or so.

I was 7.2 ...

I'm quite pleased about that result .. especially as it was supposed to
have been a fasting blood test and (without realising) I'd eaten a
Chinese late meal the night before and in the morning had some toast,
drank tea and had a couple of custard cream biscuits about an hour
before hand.

Down to more exercise, I now walk or cycle everywhere for journeys less
than 10 or so miles, mostly now 'cos I want to rather than simply for
exercise, a better diet, cut out sugar, eating more fruit and veg and
generally living a more healthy lifestyle. I've lost 10 Kgs weight and
my tablets have been reduced now, phasing them down slowly and
monitoring sugar levels and I'm now on the lowest dosage available,
which also seems good.

Just had to say something.

--
Paul - xxx
Old December 16th 10, 10:58 AM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
Ace[_4_]

On 16 Dec 2010 10:54:23 GMT, "Paul - xxx"
wrote:

Just had to say something.

Nice one. Do the docs think that you may be able to control it
completely without drugs in the future?

Old December 16th 10, 11:02 AM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
Paul - xxx[_2_]

wrote:

Just had to say something.

Nice one. Do the docs think that you may be able to control it
completely without drugs in the future?

That's the aim ..

--
Paul - xxx
Old December 16th 10, 11:12 AM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
Uncle Albert

Nice one
Old December 16th 10, 11:42 AM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
Peter Clinch

Paul - xxx wrote:

Down to more exercise, I now walk or cycle everywhere for journeys less
than 10 or so miles, mostly now 'cos I want to rather than simply for
exercise, a better diet, cut out sugar, eating more fruit and veg and
generally living a more healthy lifestyle.

My uncle was diagnosed with Type II diabetes fairly well on into life,
and he really couldn't be having with an overly restricted diet so he
just worked out how much more exercise he had to do to keep it under
control. On one occasion having had a fairly big meal out in France he
got back to his son's house by swimming there in the adjacent river
rather than walking.

He eventually passed away from a heart attack at the age of 78 while
swimming some distance to shore having just dived off a yacht he was
holidaying on. Struck as all as one of the better ways to go for an
active sort.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old December 16th 10, 11:47 AM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
Squashme

On Dec 16, 10:54*am, "Paul - xxx" wrote:
[...]

Great to hear.

Selfishly, I (we?) need to hear some good news these days. Otherwise
it seems to be a drumfire of depression.
I guess that we have to make our own good news.
Old December 16th 10, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OldAl4865

Old December 16th 10, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul - xxx"
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:02 AM

wrote:

[...]

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ind...ntent&view=art
icle&id=8433

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingC...tm_content=Gro
upCL&utm_medium=email&impressionId=1272269200832&u tm_campaign=DailyHea
dlines&utm_source=mSpoke&userid=245566

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/ind...ntent&view=art
icle&id=10028

I repeat: I wish I could re-live those early years and do a better
job of it.

Jenny's site has a lot of good information for new folks. It's a
start but not a substitute for work on your part.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

Good luck.

Cheers, yes I take one Metformin a day at present. I'm a member of a
local study group, have had two 'classes' and get loads of support from
doctors/hospital. Plus the family know about diabetes so aren't as
naive about it as many others.

That's one reason why the doctors said they wouldn't have expected me
to drop bs levels so quickly, most patients don't follow the routines
or change enough in their lives to make a big difference .. I have ..

Must admit since I lost the weight and increased the fitness, I just
feel so much better that I just won't go back into the sedentary ways I
had become used to ..

--
Paul - xxx
Old December 16th 10, 02:40 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
NM

[...]

Congrats dear boy, keep it up,
Old December 16th 10, 03:45 PM posted to alt.fan.landrover,uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.motorcycles
Lee_D

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
[...]

Nice one Paul... reminder to me to get my ass on the tred mill!

Unicycle For Diabetes unipsychler Unicycling 17 May 22nd 08 02:30 PM
Diabetes Fund Raiser -Unicycles welcome! ninersRfiner Unicycling 0 January 20th 08 12:35 AM
Doping Control Dopes Need Doping Control And/Or Watches - Too Funny Joe King Racing 11 September 12th 06 12:31 PM
Cycling & Diabetes Bob Newman General 40 August 3rd 04 05:10 PM
Cycling and diabetes? Steve Jay Australia 6 April 27th 04 04:06 AM