needless

Old June 29th 05, 05:25 PM
JD

Default needless

This was completely needless: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2816240?rss

Why? Because of all of the information avaialble online (for free) to
prevent it: http://www.dreamride.com/safety.html

There's even a boatload of reasons why Moab is not a good choice of
destinations for mountain biking in Summer in AM-B:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...=2005&safe=off

(yeah, cut and paste it)

The article in the Salt Lake Tribune stated:

["Sounds to me like they did everything right - woke up that morning,
had breakfast, then hit the trail," Lammert said.
But what the California family could not have known was that
Monday's temperatures would reach triple digits. "They finished their
ride in the hottest part of the day on the hottest day of the year so
far," Lammert said.]

I don't agree with either of the above statements. They should have
heeded all of the advice that's avaialble and not have planned a Moab
bike vacation in Summer months to begin with. Also, 70 ounces of water
is hardly enough to do a six hour ride with, even in cooler
temperatures.

They also should have known that the temperature was going to be high
that day. There is such a thing as a weather forecast, after all.
Even the country & western radio stations have weather info in S/E
Utah.

Almost everyone who has ridden with me knows one of my favorite
statements when encountering heinous derring-do obstacles or
conditions, "Live to ride another day." I have never given anyone
undue pressure to ride something or somewhere they are not comfortable
with, or prepared for. This is why I harp on things that are
preventable by using avaialble resources and common sense. Again,
planning a Moab bike vacation in Summer months is ridiculous. Why?
Again, the only hours the trails are safe from unbearable heat are the
early morning hours and even then you must carry ridiculous amounts of
water to be safe.

"Drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry."

People may think of me as callous or insensitive for my statements from
time to time, but there's a method to my madness. It's called
persistent repetition and even the most thick-skulled eventually get
the message. It's a needless and crying shame that that 15 year old
girl lost her life. Her parents will have to live the rest of their
lives with a terrible loss, though will always know that others will
have learned from their mistakes.

JD

Old June 29th 05, 05:35 PM
JD

JD wrote:
There's even a boatload of reasons why Moab is not a good choice of
destinations for mountain biking in Summer in AM-B:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...=2005&safe=off

(yeah, cut and paste it)

Ok, don't cut and paste it: http://tinyurl.com/b9zmo

JD

Old June 29th 05, 06:57 PM

JD wrote:

Almost everyone who has ridden with me knows one of my favorite
statements when encountering heinous derring-do obstacles or
conditions, "Live to ride another day."

My brother's was "If you can't ride it, walk it - no shame in walking
it."

I can't even imagine riding in the desert in the middle of summer.
Sounds kinda stupid.

E.P.

Old June 29th 05, 07:01 PM
Chris Glidden

wrote in message
oups.com...

JD wrote:

Almost everyone who has ridden with me knows one of my favorite
statements when encountering heinous derring-do obstacles or
conditions, "Live to ride another day."

My brother's was "If you can't ride it, walk it - no shame in walking
it."

I can't even imagine riding in the desert in the middle of summer.
Sounds kinda stupid.

E.P.

Kinda? Now there's an understatement. I feel bad for her parents but they
should have known better. It's heartbreaking to imagine the grief they will
experience for the rest of their lives.

CG

Old June 29th 05, 07:05 PM
Corvus Corvax

JD wrote:

"Sounds to me like they did everything right - woke up that morning,
had breakfast, then hit the trail," Lammert said.

This is a truly bizarre statement. What does getting up and having
breakfast have to do being safe in the desert?

But what the California family could not have known was that
Monday's temperatures would reach triple digits. "They finished their
ride in the hottest part of the day on the hottest day of the year so
far," Lammert said.

They damn well should have known what the expected temperature was
going to be! Maybe they were too engrossed in their wheaties or
something to check the weather report.

even the most thick-skulled eventually get the message.

I wouldn't count on that, bro.

CC

Old June 29th 05, 07:14 PM
Ride-A-Lot

JD wrote:
This was completely needless: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2816240?rss

AND STUPID!

Sh!t, 70oz of water will last me 40 minutes tops here on the east when
it's 94F. It's a desert for god's sake and you are riding it in the
summer! Last I heard there was global warming, not cooling.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old June 29th 05, 07:34 PM
Bill Sornson

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
JD wrote:
This was completely needless: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_2816240?rss

AND STUPID!

Sh!t, 70oz of water will last me 40 minutes tops here on the east when
it's 94F. It's a desert for god's sake and you are riding it in the
summer! Last I heard there was global warming, not cooling.

OK, let's stop piling on here.

I've met and ridden with the father of this poor child. He is NOT some
inexperienced doof who rolled in to Moab ("Mobe") and rented bikes for the
entire family. They had done MANY such rides and other activities together
in similar conditions.

His write-up of this tragic event on his website make clear that she had
access to much more than just the water on her back. (I'm not going to post
a link but it's right there on "MTBRetards" as someone calls it.)

If it's just some anonymous family then yeah, it's easy to call 'em stupid
or negligent or whatever. When you know the person and read how many others
know him and attest to his character and skill, then it's a bit different.
I suspect that this girl had some underlying problem that arose that sad
day; no one left her to just fend for herself with 70 oz. of water.

Give 'em some peace, OK?

Bill S.

Old June 29th 05, 07:38 PM
Chris Glidden

"Bill Sornson" wrote
Give 'em some peace, OK?

Bill S.

OK

CG

Old June 29th 05, 07:42 PM
Chris Glidden

"Bill Sornson" wrote (SNIP)

Oh man, it was Ogre!?!?!?!? He hasn't posted here in a long time, but I
remember him well. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Old June 29th 05, 08:04 PM

I can, it beats 90 degress and 90% + humidity here this
summer.