Lance Armstrong interview in Playboy from before the Tour

Old July 20th 05, 09:32 PM
TheGist

Default Lance Armstrong interview in Playboy from before the Tour

This is not a story about the ****ing French, this is a story about one
man's out-of-control ego. Lance is is the sort of fool that is battling
Darwin big time. If I were the driver of a truck he hit I'd be pretty
****ed at him for using me in his little suicidal drama, too.

One of the complaints around here are cyclists who pretend that they
don't have to watch out for cars. It goes both ways: the cars have a
responsibility to share the road, but the cyclists have a responsibility
to attempt not to run head first into trucks. I suspect Lance needed
reminding of that. The world is not a closed course.

I ride my bike to work every day and it is ****ing scary sometimes.
****ing fat slobs in suburban assault vehicles with one hand on the
wheel and the other hand stuck in a bag of ****ing doughnuts. Steering
with their thunder thighs. No regard for other motorists much less
cyclists or pedestrians. I believe motorcycle riders refer to this as
the "cage mentality". That is, the mindset of riding around in a big
metal cage as opposed to actually being outside of airconditioning for
more than 30 seconds a day.

Old July 20th 05, 10:13 PM
Hobbes

In article ,
TheGist wrote:

[...]

I ride both motorcycles and bikes. 'Cagers' tends to be a derisive term.
I read Armstrong's comment as being upset with the reaction of the truck
driver. I don't see 'out-of-control' ego here, although I certainly
accept that Armstrong has a large ego. Virtually all elite athletes do.
As well as elite anything, I suspect. Armstrong had a broken neck and
the driver was worried about the ding in his truck. That is pretty
screwed up.

You see people driving around almost oblivious - talking on their phone
while sipping on their coffee while sucking on their cigs. It can drive
you nuts. You have to expect the person to be trying to get you when you
are on a bike. And people do live up to your expectations.

I doubt that was the case here. It sounds like Armstrong was carving a
blind corner. Even so, to be bitching about your truck when the other
guy has a broken C7 is pretty screwed up.

--
Keith
Old July 20th 05, 10:22 PM
David

"Hobbes" wrote in message
In article ,
TheGist wrote:

[...]

The recent and much more dangeroous diversion to car drivers now is text
messaging. At least when talking on a cell phone your eyes are more or less
on the road. With texting your eyes and one hand are on the phone while
inputting. It's scary when an 18 year old who can barely drive anyway does
this stuff while driving

Old July 21st 05, 01:57 AM
Dally

Hobbes wrote:

I doubt that was the case here. It sounds like Armstrong was carving a
blind corner. Even so, to be bitching about your truck when the other
guy has a broken C7 is pretty screwed up.

I would agree with that. Of course, the guy didn't know Lance's
diagnosis at the moment, all he knew was that some cyclist just ran into
him. His anger doesn't sound particularly "French" to me.

So how come am I defending the French and blasting LA? I must be in a
contrary mood today.

Dally
Old July 21st 05, 02:00 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per TheGist:
with one hand on the
wheel and the other hand stuck in a bag of

The ones that *really* scare me today are doing email while they drive.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 21st 05, 07:55 AM
Charles

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:57:53 -0400, Dally wrote:

Hobbes wrote:

I doubt that was the case here. It sounds like Armstrong was carving a
blind corner. Even so, to be bitching about your truck when the other
guy has a broken C7 is pretty screwed up.

I would agree with that. Of course, the guy didn't know Lance's
diagnosis at the moment, all he knew was that some cyclist just ran into
him. His anger doesn't sound particularly "French" to me.

So how come am I defending the French and blasting LA? I must be in a
contrary mood today.

Now that would be unusual!! ;o)
Old July 21st 05, 08:00 AM
David

Hobbes wrote:

I doubt that was the case here. It sounds like Armstrong was carving a
blind corner. Even so, to be bitching about your truck when the other
guy has a broken C7 is pretty screwed up.

I would agree with that. Of course, the guy didn't know Lance's
diagnosis at the moment, all he knew was that some cyclist just ran into
him. His anger doesn't sound particularly "French" to me.

So how come am I defending the French and blasting LA? I must be in a
contrary mood today.

Now that would be unusual!! ;o)

But don't you think she is cute when she is being contrary?

Old July 21st 05, 08:37 AM
Charles

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:00:32 GMT, "David"
wrote:

.. .

Hobbes wrote:

I doubt that was the case here. It sounds like Armstrong was carving a
blind corner. Even so, to be bitching about your truck when the other
guy has a broken C7 is pretty screwed up.

I would agree with that. Of course, the guy didn't know Lance's
diagnosis at the moment, all he knew was that some cyclist just ran into
him. His anger doesn't sound particularly "French" to me.

So how come am I defending the French and blasting LA? I must be in a
contrary mood today.

Now that would be unusual!! ;o)

But don't you think she is cute when she is being contrary?

She's a tad 'lumpy' for my own personal taste, and I've tried treating
her with courtesy and sympathy/empathy, which met with hostility, so
she can go and get stuffed as far as I'm concerned.

You will know I'm not really into feminism and political correctness!!
;o)

Old July 21st 05, 08:54 AM
David

"Charles" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:00:32 GMT, "David"
wrote:

.. .

Hobbes wrote:

[...]

So I take it that 'cute' is a bit of a stretch in her case?

Old July 21st 05, 09:19 AM
Charles

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:54:37 GMT, "David"
wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 07:00:32 GMT, "David"
wrote:

.. .

Hobbes wrote:

[...]

mmmm..... (_|_) WOW!! ;o)