Garmin GPS performance data vs. Polar *.HRM file format

Old September 19th 11, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

Default Garmin GPS performance data vs. Polar *.HRM file format

I've been using a Garmin GPS for the past year or so (actually an Edge
500 and a Forerunner 305) and I can't find out how to parse the data
to get the supposed samples recording at 1-second intervals. I get the
summaries and can read the data as expected in their own applications
as well as using Sporttracks 3 and a few others, but I don't find it
flexible enough for creating ad-hoc reports. I can't find anyone
either who even cares (which is kind of funny, I thought maybe I could
claim to have test results from the latest EPO variant to create some
interest). I'm starting to think that a naked emperor has been wearing
a Garmin GPS (not a pretty thought).

Does anyone know how to extract the data from these things? You can
program laps and render those, but once the moment passes during the
sessions I find no way to parse the data other than the laps taken as
I go.
Old September 19th 11, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"Chris M" wrote in message ...

[Snip]

Does anyone know how to extract the data from these things? You can
program laps and render those, but once the moment passes during the
sessions I find no way to parse the data other than the laps taken as
I go.

the easiest way is to download your data to Garmin's Training Centre application then export the file you want and change its extension from ..tcx to .xml and you can open it as a standard xml file.

Graham.
Old September 19th 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 23:13:08 -0700 (PDT), Chris M
wrote:

[...]

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_garmin301.html
It might be useful to convert the Garmin data file into something that
your favorite spreadsheet or DBM can digest.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 19th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Chris M wrote:
[...]

On Linux, I use http://code.google.com/p/garmintools/

I wrote my own app for display and calculation of estimated power and
gradient, etc.

I also use pytrainer.

--
JS.
Old September 23rd 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
MikeWhy

"Chris M" wrote in message
[...]

TrainingPeaks WKO+ downloads the data; graphs it; and calculates many useful
summaries and stats. It isn't perfect in every way, but I find it usable as
is. I don't recall if they have a time limited trial.