riding position

Old September 6th 04, 02:23 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"GRL" wrote in message ...
This happens as a result of the idiotic trend away from threaded/height
adjustable stems to save a few meaninglesss grams.

The transition to threadless is now complete, I don't
know of anyone riding that old threaded stuff.

Anyway, you should have your bike sizing measurements
documented out before going to the bike shop. Only
a newbie doesn't have measurements. And if you're over
the age of twelve there's no excuse for being a newbie.

I don't like measurementless newbies, they don't look good.

Old September 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article , Ken
wrote:

"GRL" wrote in news:10jmu5h6n8p09e6
@corp.supernews.com:
This happens as a result of the idiotic trend away from threaded/height
adjustable stems to save a few meaninglesss grams.

A lightweight threadless fork can be hundreds of grams lighter than any
threaded fork, not just "a few".

The main reason for threadless forks, however, is lower manufacturing costs.

Fabrizio and debatable weight considerations aside, Jobst Brandt has
repeatedly noted an interesting (though apparently inadvertant (or at
least secondary)) benefit of threadless: the quill can't seize in place.

Jobst himself has had this problem so often (caused by sweat dripping
into the stem, he suggests) that he converted his otherwise fairly
retrogrouchy bike to threadless.

For the vast majority of users, the adjustability of threaded stems is
moot: you get a proper fit done once, and if there's any doubt, you
leave a few spacers above and below the chosen stem and don't cut the
fork too much.

Indeed, reach is as important as height. Maybe by encouraging more
people to get the stem adjustment right the first time, it will make
sure more riders actually figure out the right reach rather than
adjusting the stem height to compensate for reach issues.

I also like removable stem faces,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Old September 6th 04, 12:21 PM
Frederic Briere

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
For the vast majority of users, the adjustability of threaded stems is
moot: you get a proper fit done once, and if there's any doubt, you
leave a few spacers above and below the chosen stem and don't cut the
fork too much.

Unfortunately, that last point is often ignored. Is it just me, or do
most bicycles come with the fork already cut within the stem? Then, you
can't raise it at all without buying an extender, and I'm a bit
reluctant to buy one without knowing what it would be like to ride with
the handlebar a bit higher.

It's that chicken and egg thing again...

--
Frederic Briere *

= IS NO MO http://www.abacomsucks.com =

Old September 6th 04, 04:27 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Frederic Briere" wrote in message ...
Unfortunately, that last point is often ignored. Is it just me, or do
most bicycles come with the fork already cut within the stem?

Why are you buying a pre-built bike? Only
newbies do that.

Don't do that. Go to a good pro bike shop,
there they will have bare frames and you will
then get the bike built up for you with Campy
components.

Distance riding Rockey Unicycling 3 March 18th 04 05:25 AM
MUni riding – Eastern Kentucky - weekend of April 23-25 billham Unicycling 5 January 26th 04 03:45 AM
Road riding tips/advice onewheeldave Unicycling 26 January 1st 04 11:33 AM